2012-13 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by choida View Post
    Just WIN and the rest will take care of itself!! We play in one of the early season tournys, so we will have a few chances to shock the world and boost our resume. Last year we lost to Alabama and Temple, which would have helped our cause come seeding time, but that's the past. The only thing we need to worry about Air Force, is well, beating them. Everyone else thinks we are rebuilding, but everyone hear knows and truly believes we are reloading, and will be a force to be reckoned with come MVC time.
    Here are the participants in Cancun. I would think the Riviera division goes to Cancun and WSU play two of the four Mayan division teams in Wichita (Nov 15 & 17) and then play in the mini-tourney Nov 20 and 21 in Cancun.
    2012 Men's Cancun Challenge

Riviera Division
    DePaul
    Iowa
    Western Kentucky
    Wichita State

Mayan Division
    Austin Peay State
    Gardner-Webb
    Howard
    Western Carolina
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Metalkatz View Post
      Well I am a little dissapointed, but I believe Air Force is closer to my house than CSU is. Im just excited to be able to go to a game and sleep in my own bed afterwards! Go Shocks
      Metal, I'm thinking Shocker Nation in Colorado needs to have a short road trip to make some noise in Clune. I'll send you a PM.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
        so far for non-con games besides the tourney:

home: Tulsa,

away: VCU, AFA, Manhattan

any other known opponents?
        We're going to have to win these games if we need noncon help for the dance/seeding.

Past seasons RPI for each:
        VCU - 38
        Tulsa - 118
        Manhattan - 148
        Air Force - 168

Not attrocious, but outside of VCU, nothing special. I'd expect Tulsa to struggle with a first year head coach. I don't know if Manhattan is supposed to get better or not. The game time is ridiculous though. And Air Force is nothing special. At least they're not 200+ drags, although I could see AFA being that.

As far as Cancun goes:
        Riviera:
        Wichita State - 12
        Iowa - 131
        Western Kentucky - 189
        DePaul - 197

Mayan:
        Austin Peay - 192
        Western Carolina - 219
        Howard - 285
        Gardner-Webb - 293

Neither side of this tournament looks good. The "throw in" games could be pretty bad. If teams finish near where they were, we'd get really screwed if we land GW and Howard both. The other side isn't all that great. We won't be as high and Iowa will probably improve some. Could be a top 100 team. I don't know if I can say the same about WKU and DePaul. That's just bad. Peay could end up being better than those two this year.

Not a lot of help from the tournament. We're going to have to either land a couple of quality games to fill out the schedule or take care of business in Valley play. That means not losing to Drake, Southern, Bradley, Indiana State, Missouri State or Evansville and at least winning a few against Creighton, Illinois State and Northern Iowa.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Is Manhattan confirmed?
          ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
          www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Originally posted by EB 22 View Post
            Is Manhattan confirmed?
            I don't know about confirmed, but it's been mentioned by a couple different people. I'd be ok with it if it wasn't at 6am.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              We're going to have to win these games if we need noncon help for the dance/seeding.

Past seasons RPI for each:
              VCU - 38
              Tulsa - 118
              Manhattan - 148
              Air Force - 168

Not attrocious, but outside of VCU, nothing special. I'd expect Tulsa to struggle with a first year head coach. I don't know if Manhattan is supposed to get better or not. The game time is ridiculous though. And Air Force is nothing special. At least they're not 200+ drags, although I could see AFA being that.

As far as Cancun goes:
              Riviera:
              Wichita State - 12
              Iowa - 131
              Western Kentucky - 189
              DePaul - 197

Mayan:
              Austin Peay - 192
              Western Carolina - 219
              Howard - 285
              Gardner-Webb - 293

Neither side of this tournament looks good. The "throw in" games could be pretty bad. If teams finish near where they were, we'd get really screwed if we land GW and Howard both. The other side isn't all that great. We won't be as high and Iowa will probably improve some. Could be a top 100 team. I don't know if I can say the same about WKU and DePaul. That's just bad. Peay could end up being better than those two this year.

Not a lot of help from the tournament. We're going to have to either land a couple of quality games to fill out the schedule or take care of business in Valley play. That means not losing to Drake, Southern, Bradley, Indiana State, Missouri State or Evansville and at least winning a few against Creighton, Illinois State and Northern Iowa.
              Somebody better schedule a couple of good road games, even if we can't get a return. Because outside of VCU, we could beat everyone of those teams by forty or fifty points, and it wouldn't amount to hill of beans come Selection Sunday.
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Those will all be tough games for a play-in team like the Shox.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                  Somebody better schedule a couple of good road games, even if we can't get a return. Because outside of VCU, we could beat everyone of those teams by forty or fifty points, and it wouldn't amount to hill of beans come Selection Sunday.
                  Agree...

Oh, and I searched "hill of beans" and this was the first thing that popped up... wtf? :concern:

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Agree...

Oh, and I searched "hill of beans" and this was the first thing that popped up... wtf? :concern:

You've never heard of Hillary Beans...the famous Zenmaster?

Comment

^^^ that shi cra

Comment

Having a hard time believing this Manhattan thing unless they mean playing in Manhattan, KS.
                        In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                          Pretty sure your win/loss record matters on Selection Sunday.

You know what'd matter more on Selection Sunday? Losing those games.

All we've gotta do is win.
                          Originally posted by BleacherReport
                          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                            Pretty sure your win/loss record matters on Selection Sunday.

You know what'd matter more on Selection Sunday? Losing those games.

All we've gotta do is win.
                            Winning isn't always enough when you cime from outside the BcS
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

AFA will not be a great RPI game, but it won't be a bad game either. AFA will be an improved team next year and I believe will be mid-pack in MWC. I also like it regardless of RPI as I can step out of my office and see Clune Arena. We will be there w/ kids and grandkids to support the Shockers. Hope the Shockers don't underestimate this game, playing at nearly 7,000 ft is a challenge and will challenge the Shocker's depth early in the season.

Comment

as Mr Davis said..."Just win baby, win..."

Comment

Working...
                                X