No announcement yet.

2012-13 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next years team will have to find itself early in the year. I'm not sure that our Out of Conference record next year will be good. You walk a fine line with as little experience that we return of a team that is not very good early and losing confidence. We may have to win the conference tournament to go to the NCAA next year.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
      Next years team will have to find itself early in the year. I'm not sure that our Out of Conference record next year will be good. You walk a fine line with as little experience that we return of a team that is not very good early and losing confidence. We may have to win the conference tournament to go to the NCAA next year.
      They've surprised me the last two seasons. When Clevin (starting PG, led team in PPG, AST, STL, FG%, 3P%, FT%) graduated, I thought that would kill em. Then they come back the next season and win the NIT Championship. After that they graduated five players, four of which accounted for almost every point scored on the front line. I thought that would kill em. So then they come back and win the conference regular season and go to the Dance. If what they lost at the end of those two seasons, and what then happened the following season are any indication, they should be good again next season. But I'm afraid if I think They will be good, then maybe I'll be wrong again, and they will end up being bad. I don't know. Maybe I should just stop thinking.

"Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
        Next years team will have to find itself 'early' in the year.
        Yuuuuuup!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          Winning isn't always enough when you cime from outside the BcS
          Disagreed. If you go undefeated, it doesn't matter what conference you're in; you get to the NCAA tournament.

It might certainly take more wins when you're outside of a BCS conference, but Murray State showed that winning is enough. The two balance against one another, though. You can make up for a lack of wins by playing good competition and getting marquee wins ... you can make up for a lack of marquee wins by winning a crapload.

Now what we can't do is win 21 games with an RPI around 100 and still make the tournament (that's IllState last year, I believe). Maybe we could with the RPI we had last season and 21 wins ... maybe we could have an RPI around 100 and win 26. Gotta have one or the other.
          Last edited by Rlh04d; April 18, 2012, 08:38 PM.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Surprised that no one had posted this yet:

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              Surprised that no one had posted this yet:

http://www.kansas.com/2012/04/19/230...le-coming.html
              That articles implies we were able to schedule some good ooc games. Hope they work out.
              Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

So noncon as we know it, with last seasons RPI

HOME:
                Tulsa - 118
                Western Carolina - 219
                Charleston Southern - 161
                ? (probably 200+)
                BB (would think this would be top 100)

AVG - 166 (known opponents)

AWAY:
                VCU - 38
                AFA - 168

AVG - 103

NEUTRAL:
                Iowa - 131
                WKU - 189
                DePaul - 197

AVG - 172.33

Total Avg. - 152.625

That's 28 and the article said 2 contracts pending. They make it sounds as if they're quality games. Perhaps mid to low BcS teams. Good non BcS teams perhaps? The ? is the other Cancun game at home and we'll play 2 of the 3 listed in Neutral.

I suspect that the two contracts pending would also be with top 100 types. Hopefully it's a H/H sort of setup and we find out relatively soon what they are. As it is now, we have 14 home games. Ideally, the two pending would be split home and away. However, if they're both away, that could give us two good home games next season (Assuming H/H). I'd take that. Plus, it may make it a bit easier to schedule a good game the following season as most teams want to start at home. We know of one home game the following season with Davidson. And one road game with Tulsa.

I suspect that Iowa and Western Kentucky will both be improved. VCU should be good. I'd guess top 50. Definitely top 75. The loss of Burgess could hurt them some on the offensive end. I don't expect much improvement from either AFA or DePaul. Sounds like Charleston Southern should have a decent year. Top 150 is a GREAT buy game. They appear to have that kind of potential. We can hope that Western Carolina and the other Cancun weakling can get in the top 200. Time will tell on that though. Not holding my breath.

As of right now it looks like a pretty decent schedule. But it really needs to be better if we want to dance. I'm guessing we're going to need a little room to work with as we might be a little inconsisten early as we figure ourselves out. I'd suspect Valley play will be pretty decent. Top 100 teams could include us, Creighton, ISU and UNI. Evansville could be close depending on who the can manage to knock off. I'm hopeful that ISUb and Bradley may be able to manage to be under 150. I don't expect that from MSU or SIU. Drake is the wild card in my eyes. The loss of Rice is HUGE. But they do get back two pretty good post players that should help take some pressure off of their guards. What can Simons do without Rice? That's the key question. There shouldn't be too much of a drag in conference. I could potentially see us, CU, ISU and UNI in the top 50 or near it. Perhaps with UE and maybe DU inching into the top 100. That may help pull the others up a bit.

All speculation at this point, but I won't be completely happy with the schedule until I find out who the other two teams are. They need to be good.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think we can expect (at least) 1 more high quality road contest. Don't you? If we were fortunate, perhaps even a return the next season.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                    Air Force? Air Force?! Why don't we get SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico or even Colorado State?
                    Takes two to tango.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                      Takes two to tango.
                      Except in this case it's the two conferences that agree who will play who. I'm still surprised we didn't get CSU. It would have made more sense.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                        The only thing we need to worry about Air Force, is well, beating them.
                        Princeton offense. Better be ready for constant motion and play defense. Lots of back cuts.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Is there a chance of a "neutral " at IBA?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            Is there a chance of a "neutral " at IBA?
                            My assumption regarding to his comment that "there will be more to come" (I read this statement to be a positive outcome and previous statements regarding the scheduling philosophy of IBA), that he very probably was hinting at this outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Except in this case it's the two conferences that agree who will play who. I'm still surprised we didn't get CSU. It would have made more sense.
                              Oh yeah, you are so right. Lost my head.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                                Yuuuuuup!

I like everything about this image.
                                Early's intensity.
                                Early's position on the floor.
                                The arm bar.
                                If the ball comes in to his right hand, count it.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X