2012-13 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
    Honestly given we are going to be "down" next year thats not a bad looking schedule. Very tough but very winnable as well. I would shave a couple off (add say 2 buy gimme games) but keep the rest.
    I'm not too worried about us being "down" next year. Not as much experience maybe, but not a lack of talent. We'll have some ups and downs early but I'd like to get them battle tested and see where they need to be early.

I don't think I listed a game we couldn't win. Those BcS teams will pretty much always help the RPI/SOS.

How many home games do we want? 9 in conference. Tulsa is 10. BB would be 11. 2 or 3 cupcakes brings it to 13 or 14. I suppose there's an option to let Davidson return the game next season. I believe the scools have the choice of returning the next year or waiting one. Start one or two H/H at home and you're around 15 or 16. Is that enough to be acceptable?
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
      Heard any names bantered about for the Tulsa job?
      Scott Sutton will be a candidate for this position. He is rumored to be in talks with NU, but can't imagine that TU won't talk to him about coming across town.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        The merger doesn't go into effect until 13-14. It has no effect on the challenge considering this will be the final season for it. Hopefully we get one going with the CAA.
        I'm not sure we'd want the CAA...seems like they have owned us (and the valley) in recent years...especially in games that matter. But I agree it would help scheduling a quality team.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
          I'm not sure we'd want the CAA...seems like they have owned us (and the valley) in recent years...especially in games that matter. But I agree it would help scheduling a quality team.
          It's the only conference left that makes any sense and would serve the same purpose of the MVC/MWC.

Otherwise you're looking at the Summit, Horizon, OVC, MAC...
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The merger doesn't go into effect until 13-14. It has no effect on the challenge considering this will be the final season for it. Hopefully we get one going with the CAA.
            Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
            Fear no one. Take on all comers.

It's the only conference left that makes any sense and would serve the same purpose of the MVC/MWC.

The WCC would also be good.

Comment

WCC is very top heavy. 3 teams or so and then falls apart pretty quickly. At least that's what I recall from running numbers last time this topic came up. CAA has a few that are really bad, but more strength at the top than the WCC. The Horizon was actually making some progress, but with the departure of Butler that's not going to happen.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Ok, I lost track. So to recap: 18 conference games, 3 Cancun, Tulsa, MWC/MVC, VCU return game, BB at home.
                That's 25. They need to schedule 5 more games?

If so, I would bet: 1 at IBA, 3 at home, 1 on the road. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                  Ok, I lost track. So to recap: 18 conference games, 3 Cancun, Tulsa, MWC/MVC, VCU return game, BB at home.
                  That's 25. They need to schedule 5 more games?

If so, I would bet: 1 at IBA, 3 at home, 1 on the road. Just a guess.
                  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we have 4 games with the Cancun tournament (2 here, 2 there) that only count as 1 game, so we should have 31 games next year regular season

Comment

That's correct. Hopefully they find someone better than UAB for IBA. Don't be surprised if Tulsa gets moved there again. I'd take 2 at home and 2 on the road if they're H/H series that just happen to start on the road. How many cupcakes do we need? Definitely no more than 3 and I'd think 2 would be enough.

So say we have 2 cupcakes, that would leave 3 games to be scheduled. Go out and start a H/H on the road, and one at home. Then take the best game you can get, no matter where, with the final game.

And I wouldn't mind looking at starting with series with other non-BcS schools. I know we'd love to get some with them, but it's not easy. Go find some decent comeptition in the RPI 150 and start a H/H. Do it twice. Shoot for RPI 100.

Maybe not all of the following are likely, but I wouldn't mind seeing something with Xavier, UAB, VCU, ODU, Kent State, Dayton, Butler, George Mason, UTEP, Western Kentucky, Miami (OH), Akron, Davidson, ORU, Belmont, Charlotte, Murray State, Milwaukee, Wright State, SLU, Richmond, or Ohio. Most are in areas that we recruit and all have been fairly consistent in being in or near the top 100. Maybe not a lot of "exciting" names, but good quality teams that would help the resume and help challenge the team and make them better.

As far as BcS teams that would be worth trying to schedule I'd go with Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Clemson, Mississippi State, aTm, Alabama, Kansas State, Wake Forest, Missouri, NC State, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, Houston, Georgia and Auburn. Some would be more likely than others, but again, most are in areas we recruit as well. What hurts is there's not a ton of high level talent in Wichita which may hurt when trying to schedule some of these teams.

Just some thoughts...
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by AG1219 View Post
                      Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we have 4 games with the Cancun tournament (2 here, 2 there) that only count as 1 game, so we should have 31 games next year regular season
                      I thought MTE's counted as 2. Which according to the above math would still give us one more game than previously thought. Or two if you're correct.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Let's hope we fill in the gaps with the very best teams we can find. Our team next year will be fun in the respect that we will beat some people that were not expecting it on our rebuilding Season. However, until we get more experienced together and really begin to play together, we should not expect our Shocks to be among the best road teams in the Country as before. However, we should be better than advertised which will be fun as we upset some teams along the way. There may be some games we pull our hair out until we learn to win most of the close ones with less seasoned players than the past 2 Sasons. However, could it be we will actually be a more athletic and talented team then before? Stay tuned.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

What about the A-10? I would love to see a Valley/A-10 Challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                            The A-10 would never go for it.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                              A lot of the A-10 teams seem to get to play Big East teams every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                                I dont know how much stock I put into the schedule board.

I mean why havent we jumped on the opportunity to go to Oregon State and beat the **** out of them in their place? Its a road win we look good and its a pac 12 tea. Yeah the pac 12 sucks but people only pay attention to the name anyways. Beside Ralph Miller WU >> Ralph Miller OSU
                                How does the PAC 12 suck any more than the MVC?

Their two teams in the NCAA did virtually the same as the MVC. Each of us advanced one team to the second round and each of those teams lost. In the NIT, the PAC 12 still has two teams in it while all the MVC teams have already been eliminated.

Comment

Working...
                                X