No announcement yet.

NIL Collective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball funding is the most important obviously. Bringing back baseball to a higher level would be good for the pride of the fan base. Softball is a borderline top 25 program right now. I really do think if we could sway a top level pitcher or two we could compete for a national title as well as keep the bats we ha e and find some more. I don't know how in the red softball operates on its own, but softball has gained popularity as a whole and with the right adds and a little more success I'd assume attendance would also increase. Though Wilkins looks like max capacity is only 1000 and they do push that from time to time. Volleyball was operating in or near the black at one time. Getting back on track there would also be beneficial.

While a lot of us would love to see more success in a number of these sports, it may not be deemed important enough to these collectives due to their lower profile. But national success even in these sports can generate a lot of positive publicity. And let's be honest, there are some pretty girls yo help sell products on some of these teams. The right businesses could really benefit there and help us bring in or retain higher level talent. In turn, that would help the university, the athletic department and Wichita as a whole.

With that said, I don't own a business or have that kind of money so I can't help there. I hope others see value in the non-revenue sports as well as they can help bolster everything, even of the spotlight is and will always be on the men's basketball team
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
      An interesting perspective on sports daily in that WSU is unique in the AAC as we don’t have a football team needing nil funding. This begs the question can WSU use that to attract athletes in our non revenue sports after all we are looking at funding mens basketball at this point.
      I’ve been a proponent for the return of football in the past, but the NIL in its current form, puts those thoughts to rest. Actually, it’s likely a blessing in disguise.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I'd still love football and would spend way too much money supporting it. But that's me.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
          An interesting perspective on sports daily in that WSU is unique in the AAC as we don’t have a football team needing nil funding. This begs the question can WSU use that to attract athletes in our non revenue sports after all we are looking at funding mens basketball at this point.
          I would think so because I think the goal of any deal is to be a win-win for everyone involved. Athletes are going to want money or cars and businesses are going to want someone who is popular and will help sell things and it may not matter which sport that person is involved in. Basketball has the largest number of eyeballs on the athlete during game time, but there may be cases where athletes in other sports have a ton of social media followers and that's where the eyeballs are that the business wants to reach. It'll probably get to where we'll see stats in the transfer portal like 19 points per game and 1 million followers on social media :)

Also, if other places are mainly focused on football and basketball deals, and WSU focuses on any sport due to not having to worry about football, they may attract really good baseball players for example who know the NIL will pay them vs not getting any deals elsewhere.
          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• I heard Renee Shhhteven is offering free "Hal-a-pee-know" burgers and a $12/hour side gig, which really compares well with other fast food and retail jobs now paying $15-$20/hour.

And free unregistered Tahoes from Brandon so you can run over police officers. Always a good time be had in that realm.

Comment

• All I can see is a win win for our athletes

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                I heard Renee Shhhteven is offering free "Hal-a-pee-know" burgers and a $12/hour side gig, which really compares well with other fast food and retail jobs now paying $15-$20/hour.

And free unregistered Tahoes from Brandon so you can run over police officers. Always a good time be had in that realm.
                I literally lol every time I hear that radio commercial and their emphatic $12/hour starting pay.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Unique is the right word. Our primary sport revenue producer is MBB, and in a way we're fortunate that there are only a handful of players to pay compared to a football team. Sure, you can argue that football is more popular and brings in more revenue, at some schools, but compare the average NBA salary of 7.5m and NFL of 2 million (or median of 3.8m vs 860k) and we have an opportunity to funnel the vast majority of our NIL funds to fewer players, potentially gaining an advantage on a school like Tulsa of similar market that has to funnel to more football players and then also basketball. Someone more informed than me would have to dive into numbers of Tulsa football to explain if that's an advantage for them in the grand scheme -- but I'd think not for Tulsa. Add into the fact WSU's basketball fanbase is way more engaged, and our unique position could quickly turn into an advantageous position (at least for MBB) if we had leadership that wasn't behind the 8 ball on NIL....

Comment

• Playing the what-if game…wonder what the propensity to support an NIL would look like back in the Fred\Ron years? Obviously those guys would want to get paid, however I would imagine people would have been more than willing to pony up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                      Playing the what-if game…wonder what the propensity to support an NIL would look like back in the Fred\Ron years? Obviously those guys would want to get paid, however I would imagine people would have been more than willing to pony up.
                      A donation line would have wrapped several times around Charles Koch Arena. Little kids would have brought their piggy banks.

That’s what’s sad about the NIL; the young future Shockers fans don’t (won’t) get attached to the players like they have in the past. Longevity and loyalty builds die-hard fans for life… the NIL has the potential to rip the hearts out of young and old. My old heart can’t stand much more rippin’.

Last edited by WstateU; April 27, 2022, 05:02 PM.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                        Playing the what-if game…wonder what the propensity to support an NIL would look like back in the Fred\Ron years? Obviously those guys would want to get paid, however I would imagine people would have been more than willing to pony up.
                        Cle woulda bolted for a Top 5 team his senior year.

Comment

• I am not sure that I will ever love college basketball as much I always have in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

One night Cessna stadium mysteriously burns down and the insurance money goes into the NIL :)
                            All $10,000 at depreciated value.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                              P.S. Ricky, I was just kidding with the toys; you’re my favorite player.
                              I don't know, I thought that flame throwing mini-Caddie was the bomb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

I would think so because I think the goal of any deal is to be a win-win for everyone involved. Athletes are going to want money or cars and businesses are going to want someone who is popular and will help sell things and it may not matter which sport that person is involved in. Basketball has the largest number of eyeballs on the athlete during game time, but there may be cases where athletes in other sports have a ton of social media followers and that's where the eyeballs are that the business wants to reach. It'll probably get to where we'll see stats in the transfer portal like 19 points per game and 1 million followers on social media :)

Also, if other places are mainly focused on football and basketball deals, and WSU focuses on any sport due to not having to worry about football, they may attract really good baseball players for example who know the NIL will pay them vs not getting any deals elsewhere.
                                Not sure how big a social media following Emily Hiebert had but she had other attributes that may have been attractive for NIL deals:

Comment

Working...
                                X