No announcement yet.

NIL Collective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big money donors would do better to do it outside of a collective. If a car dealer pays a player to do some advertisements, the car dealer can write that off as a business expense.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
      Big money donors would do better to do it outside of a collective. If a car dealer pays a player to do some advertisements, the car dealer can write that off as a business expense.
      That is true, as long as it is an ordinary and necessary arms length business expense. But payments considered to be in excess of what you would pay in an arms length negotiation for the services rendered would not be deductible. That can be a grey area when it involves paying for NIL but there are guard rails you need to stay in between.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That is true, as long as it is an ordinary and necessary arms length business expense. But payments considered to be in excess of what you would pay in an arms length negotiation for the services rendered would not be deductible. That can be a grey area when it involves paying for NIL but there are guard rails you need to stay in between.
        That's the way NIL was intended to work. Athletes could be paid at a "standard" rate of pay for what they did. Example: If you can hire an actor for $500 for a 30 second TV commercial, then you can pay an athlete $500 for doing the same thing.

The "big boys" can see that the NCAA doesn't get around to assessing penalties for violations for years and years. In the meantime schools breaking the "rules" are racking up W's, TV revenue, and getting the top recruits. Then so many schools ignored the rules that the NCAA has no way to investigate all of them. Picking and choosing who to investigate would get them sued by schools that got investigated, so it's turned out to be something with, effectively, no rules or enforcement.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Comment

• Help may be on its way
            Senators Joe Manchin and Tommy Tuberville have introduced bipartisan legislation to set national standards for name, likeness and image agreements in collegiate athletics.

Comment

• I just cant see how legislation can do much beyond requiring agents to be certified. I guess since they could call this interstate commerce they would have some say, but they have to be careful on any real restrictions to athletes. I cant see that it would stand a court challenge.
              Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                I just cant see how legislation can do much beyond requiring agents to be certified. I guess since they could call this interstate commerce they would have some say, but they have to be careful on any real restrictions to athletes. I cant see that it would stand a court challenge.
                Perhaps this is why the Federal Government can make laws that affect Universities. Universities, probably like the money that the Feds and tax payers give as loans to students who go to school too.

What do universities do with the billions they receive from the government?

https://usafacts.org/articles/what-d...he-government/

Comment

Working...
                X