NIL Collective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
    I don't think DB was wrong to put blame on the NCAA for not being clear on their rules, but I think he is wrong for blaming the WSU response to NIL on the NCAA. He said in this article that he recognized that this was going to be an issue before the football season. I don't understand why there wasn't a quick decision to change our policy once that became clear. It's not like NIL collectives just popped up, they've all been very public since the NIL ruling changed.

Also, the NCAA rule said schools have to follow state regulations. Kansas has left it up to the schools, which means the school can be involved in creating the collective. You're telling me he had no idea that KU had an NIL collective in Wichita until just recently?
    This alone is a demonstration of his lack of awareness. You didn't even have to be someone who was "in the know" to hear about all these NIL collectives starting last year. Why was that not a sign to our leadership that we need to get moving? Insane.

Comment

• So if we (as in WSU fandom and boosters) were to dive into assembling an NIL warchest, what do you think the annual funding would need to be? Wouldn't it have to be 2-3 million just for mens BB alone to even be somewhat in the game? And then how much for athletes in the other sports, presuming we would like those sports to be successful as well?

And then how much will still need to be donated to SASO just to keep all the existing stuff in operation? Schollies, travel, facilities, and salaries will still cost money. Now pile onto this how much support is getting pulled (mine included, I'm out for now on season tickets and SASO donations, though I don't matter much since my total annual input runs under $2000) and how badly will all this fracture? How quickly? If the patient is Shocker Athletics, the disease is the current administrative regime, and the cure is withholding donations and ticket purchases, will the cure kill the patient?
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        So if we (as in WSU fandom and boosters) were to dive into assembling an NIL warchest, what do you think the annual funding would need to be? Wouldn't it have to be 2-3 million just for mens BB alone to even be somewhat in the game? And then how much for athletes in the other sports, presuming we would like those sports to be successful as well?

And then how much will still need to be donated to SASO just to keep all the existing stuff in operation? Schollies, travel, facilities, and salaries will still cost money. Now pile onto this how much support is getting pulled (mine included, I'm out for now on season tickets and SASO donations, though I don't matter much since my total annual input runs under $2000) and how badly will all this fracture? How quickly? If the patient is Shocker Athletics, the disease is the current administrative regime, and the cure is withholding donations and ticket purchases, will the cure kill the patient?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
          So if we (as in WSU fandom and boosters) were to dive into assembling an NIL warchest, what do you think the annual funding would need to be? Wouldn't it have to be 2-3 million just for mens BB alone to even be somewhat in the game? And then how much for athletes in the other sports, presuming we would like those sports to be successful as well?

Chicken or the egg argument it seems like.

Can't have success unless people invest but the only true way fans can demonstrate their displeasure is withholding funds.
          It seems like fans are no longer going to give WSU the benefit of the doubt, so to your point, the cure might kill the patient.
          However, as we saw last week on the gofundme, there is an appetite for change. So making a leadership change might energize, at least a portion of the fan base. Is it enough? Probably not. Ultimately, winning cures a lot of ills.

Comment

• Right now, we need to find someone to throw some NIL money to Addison and Sydney on the softball team.

Definitely need something for basketball, but I don't know how much. We don't have to compete with the top levels as we weren't recruiting those kids anyway, but something will have to be done.

Maybe we can throw some money at a couple of pitchers as well to pair with the bats we have. That's the only thing keeping us from being competitive with the best of the best right now.

But men's basketball is the athletic face of the university, even if we are a softball school now, and something needs to be dine to get competitive.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Checking…

yup, Boatright still sucks.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• NIL makes TV money that much of a bigger deal. SEC and BIG 10 automatically have another leg-up on everyone else. I think you'll start seeing the Big East and A10 really struggle to compete with the football sponsored conferences moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Right now, we need to find someone to throw some NIL money to Addison and Sydney on the softball team.

Definitely need something for basketball, but I don't know how much. We don't have to compete with the top levels as we weren't recruiting those kids anyway, but something will have to be done.

Maybe we can throw some money at a couple of pitchers as well to pair with the bats we have. That's the only thing keeping us from being competitive with the best of the best right now.

But men's basketball is the athletic face of the university, even if we are a softball school now, and something needs to be dine to get competitive.
                  Have we had issues with good softball players leaving? I know NIL changes that quite a bit, and these two seem like generational talents, so I'm sure they will have people coming after them.

Good news, we have a collective that is supposedly being announced this week and apparently a second collective being made?

Comment

Have we had issues with good softball players leaving? I know NIL changes that quite a bit, and these two seem like generational talents, so I'm sure they will have people coming after them.

Good news, we have a collective that is supposedly being announced this week and apparently a second collective being made?
                    But will said collectives have any money?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

But will said collectives have any money?
                      Right .. the members of the collective are infinitely more important than the number of collectives lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Right .. the members of the collective are infinitely more important than the number of collectives lol
                        The point wasn't that there are multiple, the point is that there is progress.

Comment

We haven't, but it's only a matter of time before someone is willing to offer the likes of those two to jump ship. And we struggle for top notch pitching so it would be nice if it benefited us there.

Will wait and see what these collectives actually have to offer.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• So, just for fun. Let’s say the NIL was in place last year. Based on knowledge at the time, Etienne gets $250K, Council gets $200K, Udeze gets $150K, Porter gets $150K, etc.

How would YOU, as the coach, handle the team?

Comment

• Going to be some interesting conversations between coaches and players moving forward.

Coach: Player X, I'm afraid your NIL funds have been reallocated. So you can play for "free" or move on elsewhere.
                              Player X: Uhhh...

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                Right now, we need to find someone to throw some NIL money to Addison and Sydney on the softball team.

Damn straight to all of that.

If we had a great pitcher, she could sign an NIL with Vornado Fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X