NIL Collective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

The only sports that will completely changed will be basketball and football. For the most part the other sports will still be true student athletes. Now is the time to strike with soccer. We cannot afford to carry around complete deadweight programs like golf and tennis when basketball is essentially going to be a minor league team.
    Heck. Imagine a college being able to use NIL to attract the next David Beckham to come to the states instead of play professional. Or the next Tiger Woods to golf in college. Who knows how it will affect lower sports not named football or basketball. I’m sure some rich donors like soccer, golf, and tennis.
    Shocker Alumni
    Shocker Club Soccer alumni
    Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaHawk View Post

Heck. Imagine a college being able to use NIL to attract the next David Beckham to come to the states instead of play professional. Or the next Tiger Woods to golf in college. Who knows how it will affect lower sports not named football or basketball. I’m sure some rich donors like soccer, golf, and tennis.
      The first NIL of $1M+ were female gymnasts.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
        I have a serious question:

Even if we could come up with a top 20 NIL fund, would you want to? I just think the whole thing stinks. I'm a Shocker fan, but I'm a fan of amateur players learning, growing, and representing our university. Just rolling out 13 hired guns every year doesn't move the needle for me. Other than the name on the front of the jersey, it just won't be Shocker sports to me.

That's why I say I'd rather see us go down several levels than compete in whatever this new **** show will be until it breaks. Some of you just want to see us compete at the highest level under whatever system exists. That's not intrinsically bad and I don't fault you for it.
        Just cheering for laundry at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I don't think Title IX will apply unless these collectives are under the institution's umbrella.
          This might be some of the basis of ND's AD's article in SI. If the athletic department is spun off from the University and there's only a licensing agreement to use the University's name, then Title IX doesn't apply. Put all the sports under the umbrella of an LLC that signs a licensing agreement to use the University's name and non-revenue sports could be history.

Another scenario is that the University keeps the non-revenue sports. Without the requirement to offer a similar number of scholarship to female athletes as are awarded to male football players, those schools would be able to drop A LOT of women's sports.

I agree with BOBB, there are probably lawsuits being drawn up already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

The first NIL of $1M+ were female gymnasts.
            That’s crazy money for a college gymnast!
            Shocker Alumni
            Shocker Club Soccer alumni
            Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

I think those ladies already had a social media following of several million people. I'm skeptical of the reported 7-figure NIL deal.

Comment

• "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore'

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore'
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    It's going to take years for this whole cluster to settlle down. I think college basketball will become a minor league equivalent. And we know minor leagues generally struggle to put butts in seats. There's no school spirit and it's not the highest level of competition.

I'm going to sit back a couple of years, root for the team to win from my living room, and see where things end up. If it's the scenario many of us fear, I will be done with college basketball.
                    It already is....Oscar Tshiebwe from Kentucky announced he's returning to UK next season. He's an NBA guy, no doubt. Mid late 1st round at worst. But he's going to get paid at UK and develop his skill set and, he thinks, be a lottery type pick next season. No way he's not in the draft without the NIL.

Comment

Have you seen Olivia Dunne mount the beam?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

It already is....Oscar Tshiebwe from Kentucky announced he's returning to UK next season. He's an NBA guy, no doubt. Mid late 1st round at worst. But he's going to get paid at UK and develop his skill set and, he thinks, be a lottery type pick next season. No way he's not in the draft without the NIL.
                        This is going to be an interesting flow. You have a set of players that normally would turn pro, either NBA or overseas that are going to stay in college. Those players now take up scholarships and playing time from other players that in the past would have gotten it. I can see good and bad in this for WSU. The bad is that those talented players are going to stay and get more experienced. Some of the schools that normally struggle with massive talent but lack of experience will probably get better.... The good is that those players are going to fill slots. So the incoming talented players might go elsewhere. That might start a chain reaction and we could end up with better players than we would have normally.

But all of this is a moot point if we don't have a solid NIL program of our own.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Have you seen Olivia Dunne mount the beam?
                          I had to Google it… Yipes Stripes Beechnut Gum!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• NIL will taper as businesses determine that the return isn't worth the investment. It's all hype right now. It won't go away, but it will "stabilize". But even "stable" could look daunting to the second tier of fund raising schools.

Just like a fraction of a percent of players make it to the NBA, same will happen with big NIL payouts at some point.

The only sustainable model is endowment driven NIL. Schools (actually "collectives") that don't pursue an endowment driven model will be left in the dust over time.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              NIL will taper as businesses determine that the return isn't worth the investment. It's all hype right now. It won't go away, but it will "stabilize". But even "stable" could look daunting to the second tier of fund raising schools.

Just like a fraction of a percent of players make it to the NBA, same will happen with big NIL payouts at some point.

The only sustainable model is endowment driven NIL. Schools (actually "collectives") that don't pursue an endowment driven model will be left in the dust over time.
                              There is also a couple of other things that could happen to affect this state of affairs:

1. NILs could be capped by law given the loose language in the SC decision;
                              2. NCAA could put deadlines and tampering rules into place like NFL/MLB has.

The student athlete is under contract too. Any conversations by others with them could be considered tortious interference as it affects their abilities to perform current contract. So offering multi year scholarships could be more common.

It won’t be a school suing an athlete on the above. It will be a school suing another school or NIL collective. Could even be preceded by injunction against company which could really tie this up.

Edit: Can’t even believe I’m talking about this.

Comment

• Agree regarding business/sponsors finding an equilibrium. I don't see how the K-State transfer to Miami is worth $400K per year.

What does a legit celebrity get paid for stuff like State Farm, Corona etc.?

Comment

Working...
                                X