2021-2022 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I would like to say I was surprised to see that the Chickens couldn't do what Ok. St. did, and that's to be Texas in Austin. But I'm not.

As a matter of fact, Ok. St. swept the Longhorns this year. Is Texas overrated?

Comment

• Texas is a lot like Memphis. A lot of “stars” but underachievers. But able to get up every once in a while for a game like last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

Dudes a stud...I prefer a winner with an edge then a nice guy on a losing team.
          He's a turdling...and he was last night...two different times they showed him jabbering in the ear of a Texas player who was resisting retort...back in the day, had I been good enough, he would have gotten a retaliatory elbow somewhere....

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

He's a turdling...and he was last night...two different times they showed him jabbering in the ear of a Texas player who was resisting retort...back in the day, had I been good enough, he would have gotten a retaliatory elbow somewhere....
            Retaliation for...talking smack? There have been multiple times this year the camera has caught our guys talking, and a couple times the court mics have picked it up also. Who cares?

Comment

• Admittedly it's a different era. Today, smack talk is celebrated if not even encouraged. Posterizing someone is the crowning jewel of one's career now.

The ability to talk **** is learned, if not demanded.

"Back in the day", smack talk was reserved for VERY FEW individuals, in an unwritten code. And for those few, on the odd occasion they weren't silenced by their own coaches, officials, self humility or some other authoritative figure, as molly jabali stated, it fell to the opposition to administer a well timed box out to the nether region, a return to the ground with a foot to the ribs or some other not so subtle reminder to keep their yapper shut.

I'm reminded of the exchange from Coach Carter:

Are you crazy?
              What is wrong with you?
              What's wrong with all of you?
              Since when is winning not enough?
              Playing hard not enough?
              No, you have to humiliate your opponent.
              Taunt him after every score.
              What gives you the right to taint the game that I love with trash talk and taunting?

Coach, they were jawing too.

So? You can't show some class? Act like a champion?

It was good then, it's still good today. To me at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Admittedly it's a different era. Today, smack talk is celebrated if not even encouraged. Posterizing someone is the crowning jewel of one's career now.

"Back in the day", smack talk was reserved for VERY FEW individuals, in an unwritten code. And for those few, on the odd occasion they weren't silenced by their own coaches, officials, self humility or some other authoritative figure, as molly jabali stated, it fell to the opposition to administer a well timed box out to the nether region, a return to the ground with a foot to the ribs or some other not so subtle reminder to keep their yapper shut.

Are you crazy?
                What is wrong with you?
                Playing hard not enough?
                What gives you the right to taint the game that I love with trash talk and taunting?

This....thank you, Dr....

Comment

• It's weird. On the playground and other pickup games, I couldn't help but run my mouth. But in real games, I hardly ever said a word or showed any outward excitement over anything outside of the occasional fist pump or high five to a teammate.

There's a level of smack that is accepted and there should still be some level of code in it. I think most officials will let certain banter go but should be quite aware of where it's at and if it's going to be a problem. But that's also why you see a number of double technicals in those instances because both parties are generally at fault.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• This may sould contradictory, but I'm ok with SOME talk....but with Braun, he ALWAYS seems to be flapping his gums....

Love it when they lose...

Comment

Admittedly it's a different era. Today, smack talk is celebrated if not even encouraged. Posterizing someone is the crowning jewel of one's career now.

Are you crazy?
                      What is wrong with you?
                      Playing hard not enough?

Tekele Cotton!

P.S. As I've mentioned previously, I watch a lot of Fred and the Toronto Raptors. OG Anunoby reminds me of Tekele. He's a big playmaker and doesn't celebrate... just hustles back to play defense. It's refreshing to see.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        It's weird. On the playground and other pickup games, I couldn't help but run my mouth. But in real games, I hardly ever said a word or showed any outward excitement over anything outside of the occasional fist pump or high five to a teammate.

There's a level of smack that is accepted and there should still be some level of code in it. I think most officials will let certain banter go but should be quite aware of where it's at and if it's going to be a problem. But that's also why you see a number of double technicals in those instances because both parties are generally at fault.
                        We agree much of the time but not here. For me , not much point in pick up games.
                        Some guys couldn't take it and want to fight. I thought it was a part of real games
                        trying to get in your man's head and hurt his confidence. Shouldn't be to loud to keep
                        it just between you and your man and not draw the ref's attention.

Comment

Are you crazy?
                          What is wrong with you?
                          Playing hard not enough?

I love that moment from Coach Carter. That movie would be made very differently today. Which is sad. Instead of inspiring them to be better, they would be told how they were the real victims and not be held to a higher standard.

I'm sure that this would be labeled an "old white guy yells at cloud" take by a lot of people. I don't care.

Every time I see a kid in a high school game tap their head and yell after a kid on their team dunks with anyone in the general vicinity, I cringe. Every time I see a kid scream after hitting a routine 3-pointer, I cringe. Hell, this even happens in kids' games now. Instead of a spontaneous jump of excitement or emotion, it's devolved into a way to draw attention to yourself.

I LOVE this video from Bob Costas. Also, an incredible Marcel Marceau reference.

Last edited by Kel Varnsen; February 8, 2022, 03:33 PM.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I love that moment from Coach Carter. That movie would be made very differently today. Which is sad. Instead of inspiring them to be better, they would be told how they were the real victims and not be held to a higher standard.

I'm sure that this would be labeled an "old white guy yells at cloud" take by a lot of people. I don't care.

Every time I see a kid in a high school game tap their head and yell after a kid on their team dunks with anyone in the general vicinity, I cringe. Every time I see a kid scream after hitting a routine 3-pointer, I cringe. Hell, this even happens in kids' games now. Instead of a spontaneous jump of excitement or emotion, it's devolved into a way to draw attention to yourself.

I LOVE this video from Bob Costas (embedding videos is not working currently).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p23L8rMFVs
                            Test...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Test...

Gah...it was appearing as just a yellow link for me when I hit "Preview." Thanks!
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• SMU beats Houston

Comment

Working...
                                X