Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we stop acting like the scraps of the big 12 that are left have some sort of sec like pull?? They have zero leverage!

Comment

• I think that Texas and Oklahoma will leave to play in the SEC next year.

I also think that the AAC and the other teams without Texas and Oklahoma think they are equal to each other.

I think no teams move from the AAC for at least 2 years.

If I was a Big 12 leftover school, I would be looking to go elsewhere. I would only go to the AAC if there were no other options.

In 2 years, we should know how strong a conference the other schools' ratings are without the big 2.

Comment

• Any school leadership that moves from the AAC to the Big XII without knowing what the Big XII-2-2+? Will get from a tv package in a couple of years should be immediately fired.

It's like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane without a parachute on the hope that someone is gonna catch you on the way down.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
          I think that Texas and Oklahoma will leave to play in the SEC next year.

I also think that the AAC and the other teams without Texas and Oklahoma think they are equal to each other.

I think no teams move from the AAC for at least 2 years.

If I was a Big 12 leftover school, I would be looking to go elsewhere. I would only go to the AAC if there were no other options.

In 2 years, we should know how strong a conference the other schools' ratings are without the big 2.
          Only if OU and TU pay up at least 50 to 100 Million dollars ( probably each). They have no leverage and several years on a big payoff. They are the reason for that much money in the Big 8, but they will have to pay the other schools to leave. The problem that the AAC schools have is that they will pay too to join the Big 8, and then if the PAC, ACC or anyone else comes calling, the deck reshuffles, and they may be left out.

Will the new Big 8 have a better money deal than the AAC, when Fox renews the contract? That’s a gamble.
          Last edited by Shockm; August 28, 2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, if the Big 8 breaks up, they lose the 150 million in exit money that Texas and OU are owing, if the Big 8 stays together. If they could funnel that money to Cincy and Houston and Memphis, that would make the jump more attractive.

Comment

• A perfectly good plane that is leaking oil!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Yeah, if the Big 8 breaks up, they lose the 150 million in exit money that Texas and OU are owing, if the Big 8 stays together. If they could funnel that money to Cincy and Houston and Memphis, that would make the jump more attractive.
                Short term money. Long term money is with espn and aac

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  Someone gonna have to translate toddler for me here. Big Pee?
                  Big Pee; Big P; Big Priest; New "Big" East

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Yeah, if the Big 8 breaks up, they lose the 150 million in exit money that Texas and OU are owing, if the Big 8 stays together. If they could funnel that money to Cincy and Houston and Memphis, that would make the jump more attractive.
                    There is nothing needed to make the jump more attractive. Every single AAC school has inquired w/ the L8 about entry. Any and all will pack their bags 3 seconds after they hang up the phone w/ the L8 commissioner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      Any school leadership that moves from the AAC to the Big XII without knowing what the Big XII-2-2+? Will get from a tv package in a couple of years should be immediately fired.

It's like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane without a parachute on the hope that someone is gonna catch you on the way down.
                      It's like jumping out of a Cessna and into a 737.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Memphis? I doubt it. No football prowess. You shared those photos of K-State and Oklahoma State's stadiums full and majestic... Uhh the Liberty Bowl isn't coming to the Big 12.

Now Houston, Cinci, UCF... yeah any of those three seem totally possible. I don't think Memphis is going. BYU and Boise make much more sense.

My question is... How does basketball look without Cinci and Houston, because those seem like the most likely two to leave. I don't like how it looks, but it is still better than MVC. Now if those two leave... does Memphis make a move for basketball elsewhere? Not sure.

I also thought the PAC would benefit from some of those leftover 8 brands, so maybe I know nothing.
                        Houston has no chance to get into the L8. The only 3 that will be considered are UM, UC, and UCF, w/ the former 2 being better brand fits. UCF has that Juco smell all over it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

I've told you over and over, Creighton is actually your ally in making that jump should it be needed. UConn became the first public, WSU could be the second. Indy, Chicago, Omaha, Milwaukee and Cincy are all pretty easy trips from Wichita. The wild card is Bruce Rassmussen just retired, how the new AD at Creighton would respond is kind of unknown.
                          I'll accept the invitation for WSU. Just give 'em my phone number. We gotta beat the rats...

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

It's like jumping out of a Cessna and into a 737.
                            If you can jump out of the Cessna into the 737 it means the Cessna was cruising at a higher altitude than the 737 ... Which means that 737 is in it's crash descent.... So yes ... Your analogy makes sense here.

Comment

• Consider that the AAC is getting $7 mil per school and the L8 is, at worst, is now worth 8-9 mil per school. If the L8 were to take the top 3-4 from the AAC, who are primarily responsible for the $7 mil value, those schools would probably add a mil or two to the per school value of the L8. If they had assurance (which I don't know what that would take) the conference would be stable for 5 years, there is no doubt in my mind that UC, UM, UCF, UH or whoever jump at the extra $3 mil without ever looking back.

I think it's extremely unlikely that the two would merge to form a 20-team conference without teams getting left out (ie, adding Boise and BYU and dropping Navy/WSU). That's why the best case scenario is for one or two of the L8 to jump and some of the rest come to the AAC. But if those other conferences aren't adding new members, we're back to the likely scenario of the L8 staying together and robbing the AAC.

Will the AAC add more teams to replace? Sure. But they are going to pull the best football schools possible, not basketball schools. And I shudder to think what kind of mess we'll be left with on the basketball side of things. I admit, I don't follow college football, so I don't know who the best of the rest are, but I doubt that includes schools like Dayton, VCU or other basketball-centric schools.

I don't think it will be to the point of regretting leaving the MVC, but the resulting AAC may not be a significant improvement.

If that is what shakes out, we should beg the Big East, and heck, even pursue the A-10.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                                Consider that the AAC is getting $7 mil per school and the L8 is, at worst, is now worth 8-9 mil per school. If the L8 were to take the top 3-4 from the AAC, who are primarily responsible for the $7 mil value, those schools would probably add a mil or two to the per school value of the L8. If they had assurance (which I don't know what that would take) the conference would be stable for 5 years, there is no doubt in my mind that UC, UM, UCF, UH or whoever jump at the extra $3 mil without ever looking back.

I think it's extremely unlikely that the two would merge to form a 20-team conference without teams getting left out (ie, adding Boise and BYU and dropping Navy/WSU). That's why the best case scenario is for one or two of the L8 to jump and some of the rest come to the AAC. But if those other conferences aren't adding new members, we're back to the likely scenario of the L8 staying together and robbing the AAC.

Will the AAC add more teams to replace? Sure. But they are going to pull the best football schools possible, not basketball schools. And I shudder to think what kind of mess we'll be left with on the basketball side of things. I admit, I don't follow college football, so I don't know who the best of the rest are, but I doubt that includes schools like Dayton, VCU or other basketball-centric schools.

I don't think it will be to the point of regretting leaving the MVC, but the resulting AAC may not be a significant improvement.

If that is what shakes out, we should beg the Big East, and heck, even pursue the A-10.
                                You make a lot of sense

Comment

Working...
                                X