Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Air Force brings TV value .. which doesn't help us tremendously .. but I understand why. It's a service academy. It also now has built a western gateway for what is hopefully better BB adds.

I'm also hoping the eastern and ESPN exposure will help CSU recruiting to move from a UCF level to a SMU level bball school.
    On their own, I like this play and feel it adds overall value. If it helps CSU in recruiting, even better.

What it also does, as you mentioned, is open up the West to us. I don't think we're going to land a Boise or SDSU until the B12 decides what it's going to do next, if anything. If the Broncos dream of the B12 dies, I think we could land both along with two others to go to 16. If we lose one or two to the B12, maybe we pick up another one or two out west. BSU and SDSU are the top pieces, but you can also find value in Fresno, Utah State, Nevada/UNLV, New Mexico and maybe Wyoming. With the Colorado schools gone, and the threat of others moving, it could get easier to pull them, but it may be another three years or so before we know the B12 play. Boise doesn't want to pay exit fees to join the AAC only to maybe turn around and pay more to join the B12 in a couple of years.

I believe the MWC only has a 12 month notice requirement, which would mean CSU and AFA could be here for 2023. I'd guess the next round will take place for 2025.

I hope the B12 stays put and we can go to 16 with SDSU, BSU, FSU and USU/UNR/UNLV. This is assuming we will have UAB +1 as well.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I do think Aresco is using this to bait the other MWC teams. No one will want to be left in the MWC especially if they think Boise will realistically be called up.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

On their own, I like this play and feel it adds overall value. If it helps CSU in recruiting, even better.

What it also does, as you mentioned, is open up the West to us. I don't think we're going to land a Boise or SDSU until the B12 decides what it's going to do next, if anything. If the Broncos dream of the B12 dies, I think we could land both along with two others to go to 16. If we lose one or two to the B12, maybe we pick up another one or two out west. BSU and SDSU are the top pieces, but you can also find value in Fresno, Utah State, Nevada/UNLV, New Mexico and maybe Wyoming. With the Colorado schools gone, and the threat of others moving, it could get easier to pull them, but it may be another three years or so before we know the B12 play. Boise doesn't want to pay exit fees to join the AAC only to maybe turn around and pay more to join the B12 in a couple of years.

I believe the MWC only has a 12 month notice requirement, which would mean CSU and AFA could be here for 2023. I'd guess the next round will take place for 2025.

I hope the B12 stays put and we can go to 16 with SDSU, BSU, FSU and USU/UNR/UNLV. This is assuming we will have UAB +1 as well.
        The MWC loses significant value without CSU and AFA. That wouldn't be enough to change Boise's mind if they think they'll be in the B12 around the time CSU and AFA leave the MWC. Boise won't pay exit/entrance fees to the AAC to only be in the conference a year or two. And the AAC doesn't appear to be budging on extending Boise a special deal on fees. Rightly so, IMO, as that establishes a bad precedent, devalues the perception of the AAC, and devalues the perception of CSU/AFA, which both contribute significantly in keeping the TV contract at or near where it's currently at. As far as other MWC members, except for SDSU, none of them so far have made ESPN willing to open the pocket book. Adding them only dilutes the AAC's contract. Losing CSU and AFA, and possibly Boise to the Big 12 in a few years, could put significant pressure on SDSU, however. The door is open for them, is what I'm told. They're a no for now, but the ball is in their court.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Air Force brings TV value .. which doesn't help us tremendously .. but I understand why. It's a service academy. It also now has built a western gateway for what is hopefully better BB adds.

I'm also hoping the eastern and ESPN exposure will help CSU recruiting to move from a UCF level to a SMU level bball school.
          Everyone's holding their noses at AFA's Olympics while embracing its football program and national fanbase.

Look for CSU to increase its football and basketball commitment. Donors are being worked.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

The MWC loses significant value without CSU and AFA. That wouldn't be enough to change Boise's mind if they think they'll be in the B12 around the time CSU and AFA leave the MWC. Boise won't pay exit/entrance fees to the AAC to only be in the conference a year or two. And the AAC doesn't appear to be budging on extending Boise a special deal on fees. Rightly so, IMO, as that establishes a bad precedent, devalues the perception of the AAC, and devalues the perception of CSU/AFA, which both contribute significantly in keeping the TV contract at or near where it's currently at. As far as other MWC members, except for SDSU, none of them so far have made ESPN willing to open the pocket book. Adding them only dilutes the AAC's contract. Losing CSU and AFA, and possibly Boise to the Big 12 in a few years, could put significant pressure on SDSU, however. The door is open for them, is what I'm told. They're a no for now, but the ball is in their court.
            I don't disagree about the others, I just think to get SDSU, you probably need to add a couple of the others. And it would make sense for E/W divisions for non-revenue sports to ease travel costs. For SDSU to come without others (Fresno), we would probably have to have a fairly significant media payout to convince them all of the extra travel expenses would be worth it. But I also don't see them doing anything until the B12 makes a move (or not). And in a few years, maybe some of the others increase their value somehow. The AAC doesn't have to make any rash decisions and can play this out. But I do think if ESPN wants SDSU, there will have to be a bump in pay.

I also still don't know why Buffalo gets no talk nationally in this. Seeing so many other schools mentioned as flyers and such, and maybe they have better upside. .Though I also get wanting another Texas school. I'm sure Navy and AFA would both like that as well, which may help a UTSA get a shot.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I also still don't know why Buffalo gets no talk nationally in this. Seeing so many other schools mentioned as flyers and such, and maybe they have better upside. .Though I also get wanting another Texas school. I'm sure Navy and AFA would both like that as well, which may help a UTSA get a shot.
              UB football has low fan support and plays in one of the worst football stadiums in FBS. If the AAC goes for another Texas school I could see Rice being in play (if they commit to improving their athletics). The league does seem to care a little about academics (Tulane, Temple, USF, Tulsa, SMU).

Comment

• LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

UB football has low fan support and plays in one of the worst football stadiums in FBS. If the AAC goes for another Texas school I could see Rice being in play (if they commit to improving their athletics). The league does seem to care a little about academics (Tulane, Temple, USF, Tulsa, SMU).
                  Fair enough about Buffalo. I just know they've had a fair amount of success in both major sports and seem like a school that could upgrade. They're also an AAU school if I recall which would cover the academics. I was not aware of their stadium status or lack of support.

I don't see Rice ever committing to athletics. If it's added, it's strictly an academic grab. Presidents like them. AD's do not.

Out of Texas, I'd prefer UNT even if they do share DFW. But outside of them, it's gotta be taking a flyer on a UTSA type of school. Those basketball games will look great on ESPN+... But maybe they could capitalize and in 10 years be more than they currently are. Though I have similar thougths about whichever F_U school it is in Miami that gets some talk. I get having another FL school, but none of them are ready either.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

LOL
                    Aresco needs to realize that a bird in the hand is better than having a bush. He needs to keep shaving.

Offer Boise full membership with a 50k buy out for the first 2 years.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Aresco needs to realize that a bird in the hand is better than having a bush. He needs to keep shaving.

Offer Boise full membership with a 50k buy out for the first 2 years.
                      Special scenarios is one of the things that I think has irritated some of the MWC membership. I also think it would be a slap in the face to CSU and AFA.

We just have to wait and see with Boise. That's fine. It makes sense for them and if they're still available in a couple of years, they'll come. Plus, why help them possibly get more exposure and maybe increase their profile in the American and then basically get to leave for free? At that point, they would have brought very little value to the conference and escaped it with nothing to offer.

The wait and see approach with them and SDSU is the right thing to do if they're not willing to come right now as full and equal members.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Decided to take a look at the MVC board ... apparently adding Belmont guarantees that the MVC will be a multi bid league and they hope now they can lure Wichita back.

Yes .. the same Belmont that has never once won a round of 64 game in their history (in 8 appearance). The same Belmont that had their 30+ year coach retire last year ...

Comment

Decided to take a look at the MVC board ... apparently adding Belmont guarantees that the MVC will be a multi bid league and they hope now they can lure Wichita back.

Yes .. the same Belmont that has never once won a round of 64 game in their history (in 8 appearance). The same Belmont that had their 30+ year coach retire last year ...
                          Perhaps they're hopeful of getting a new coach with old MVC ties...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Everyone's holding their noses at AFA's Olympics while embracing its football program and national fanbase.

Look for CSU to increase its football and basketball commitment. Donors are being worked.
                            Unless you have something directly from the horses' mouths, don't believe the delusional CSU fans as to what they can do. They still believe that they undeservingly got snubbed by the Big 12 several years ago.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Unless you have something directly from the horses' mouths, don't believe the delusional CSU fans as to what they can do. They still believe that they undeservingly got snubbed by the Big 12 several years ago.
                              I believe him. CSU is prime for growth.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• A change in exposure could do wonders for CSU. They will now be in better time slots and visiting areas that historically have produced better recruits

Comment

Working...
                                X