Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any scenario where the AAC could pick up just the right schools that the media would consider it a P5, or is there in reality only going to be a P4 going forward no matter what?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Is there any scenario where the AAC could pick up just the right schools that the media would consider it a P5, or is there in reality only going to be a P4 going forward no matter what?
      Imo, there are no schools left in the big12-2-2 that will elevate an existing conference to P5 level. OSU and TTech are not going to be happy with $15m +/- in media revenues. No matter how much the big12-2-2 poaches from anywhere, those big paydays only exist in another conference. I don't think the Pac12 gets them there either, but I haven't looked that up.
      Go Shocks!

Comment

Is there any scenario where the AAC could pick up just the right schools that the media would consider it a P5, or is there in reality only going to be a P4 going forward no matter what?
        My gut has always thought we were going to four 16 team conferences. I also think those 64 will carve football out of the NCAA and self govern. The rest of the NCAA will stay intact.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Depends upon if the BCS decides to expand the CFP beyond 4 teams, to say, maybe 8 teams? In the last couple of seasons an AAC team would have been in the conversation, if only at best... P5? Doubtful? Expand to 8? Possible.

I remember Auburn losing to an undefeated UCF (Group of Five member) a few years ago, and struggling with Memphis a few years before that. The AAC has fared fairly well in bowl games against P5 teams.

Last edited by ShockingButTrue; July 28, 2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• The thing that helps the AAC, is they have a lot of large media markets alone:

Philly: 4
            Dallas: 5
            Houston: 8
            Tampa: 13
            Orlando: 17

The highest in the Big 12, outside of DFW, is KC (34). (For context, he highest in the MWC is San Diego, 27)

The viewership numbers in AAC have actually been better than the Big 12, when you take out OU/UT games.

Also, the AAC has had just as many teams finish in the Top 25 in the AP poll, since its inception in 2013, and the Big 12 (16), and since 2016, the AAC has had 10 more in that span, so their arrow has been pointing up. (I believe I got those numbers correct)

If people/fans are just living off the name and memories of the Big 12 thinking they are far superior to a conference like The American, losing those schools you loved to hate so much needs to be a big does of reality. Maybe life wasn’t so bad with them in it.

Now, I’m not saying a a merger is going to happen, but the facts show that the AAC are far from little brother compared to the remaining B12.

Hell, there is a chance they don’t take all the B12 and takes a school like Boise State instead (a school they have already been in talks with).
            The Assman

Comment

• People need to not get confused between being IN a large media market, and actually HAVING a large media market.

UH is in a large media market; hardly anybody in Houston knows or cares that they exist.
              SMU is in a large media market; hardly anybody in Dallas knows or cares that they exist.

People comparing ISU or OSU to ANYBODY in the AAC is laughable. Everybody (that includes Baylor) are nationally recognized power programs. They will move the needle on nationally televised events.

The AAC will not be plucking **** from the B12 remnants lol.

Comment

• If things get messy and the other leagues get super pissed at the SEC, they will break away from the NCAA and create their own Super League. Then the SEC will be left all alone to play amongst themselves. Obviously that won't last long so they will all unite. And we will be relegated to JUCO overnight.

Something needs to happen, threats need to be made, that if OU and UT join the SEC, the entire house of cards comes crashing down.

If those two schools are allowed to join the SEC, I think college athletics as we know it will be gone forever. The fans need to speak up.

Perhaps the FTC could get involved and investigate unfair trade practices. It would be a stretch, but the SEC gaining OU and UT will absolutely destabilize an entire market of sorts.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                    People need to not get confused between being IN a large media market, and actually HAVING a large media market.

UH is in a large media market; hardly anybody in Houston knows or cares that they exist.
                    SMU is in a large media market; hardly anybody in Dallas knows or cares that they exist.

People comparing ISU or OSU to ANYBODY in the AAC is laughable. Everybody (that includes Baylor) are nationally recognized power programs. They will move the needle on nationally televised events.

Who do you think you're bs'ing?

In Baylor's possible best season ever in Football ('13) they didn't even get invited to the CFP, with much protestation from the folks in Waco, and b12 fans like yourself. That spot was reserved for you-know-who from the b12, who ain't no more.

How did the mighty b12 Champ Bears' season end? They gave up 52 (typical. No D) points in the Fiesta Bowl to some lowly team from the AAC. Iowa St. is a Football power, eh? I just don't have the time or inclination...

We've already discussed the ACC taking, understandably, the Pokes. No one is debating that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

In Baylor's possible best season ever in Football ('13) they didn't even get invited to the CFP, with much protestation from the folks in Waco, and b12 fans like yourself. That spot was reserved for you-know-who from the b12, who ain't no more.

How did the mighty b12 Champ Bears' season end? They gave up 52 (typical. No D) points in the Fiesta Bowl to some lowly team from the AAC. Iowa St. is a Football power, eh? I just don't have the time or inclination...

We've already discussed the ACC taking, understandably, the Pokes. No one is debating that.
                      Ever heard of low hanging fruit?
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

People need to not get confused between being IN a large media market, and actually HAVING a large media market.

And yet those nationally recognized programs don't get better viewership ratings than the nobody knows they exist schools in the AAC.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

I personally think SBT is trying to troll me.

Baylor is a national brand who's made some impressive noise in the NCAA tournament. 100% of college sports fans know who Baylor is. 85% of college sports fans couldn't find UCF on a map... of Florida...

Clearly NCAA brands are not built on football alone. Football is triggering the alignment, but there are other qualifying factors involved lest K|Uck-City would be applying to join the Big Priest/AAC right about now. Football "drives the bus", but it's likely no more popular than college hoops, as the NFL is over the NBA. Both college hoops and the NBA are multi-billion dollar industries.

Again, television is about brands, marketing, stories, and entertainment. There. will. not. be. a cotton. picking. brand. name. school. left out in the cold. And they sure as hell will not be bargain shopped by the likes of the AAC - which was originally constructed as a minor-league football division for power conference hopefuls. We don't even belong. But I sure am glad we were added!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

And yet those nationally recognized programs don't get better viewership ratings than the nobody knows they exist schools in the AAC.
                            Nobody gives a ****. They are part of the club and they play their part as the respectable patsy.

There is not a single major network, if they were able to hand-pick members for a new conference, who would pick the AAC football powerhouse (UCF) over Baylor, TCU, ISU, TT, or the like. Brands matter, and no amount of homerism is going to change that fact.

Comment

Nobody gives a ****. They are part of the club and they play their part as the respectable patsy.

There is not a single major network, if they were able to hand-pick members for a new conference, who would pick the AAC football powerhouse (UCF) over Baylor, TCU, ISU, TT, or the like. Brands matter, and no amount of homerism is going to change that fact.
                              Except ESPN is lobbying for those schools to join the AAC, where they have an existing rights agreement.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Except ESPN is lobbying for those schools to join the AAC, where they have an existing rights agreement.
                                I haven’t done very well keeping up with this fluid situation. Can you provide some reference re your ESPN comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X