Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if the MWC has promised CSU and AFA that they'll go add a couple of Texas schools. Both utilize Texas quite a bit.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      I wonder if the MWC has promised CSU and AFA that they'll go add a couple of Texas schools. Both utilize Texas quite a bit.
      Something was promised. Never expected SDSU and BSU to join but the other two figured was a done deal. Really taken back by the reluctancy to join AAC.

Comment

• We are staring down an AAC ... potentially minus Memphis where the best teams are US, SMU and .... Temple? Tulsa?

Comment

• The negative momentum continues to build against the AAC...

Comment

• Not sure this is 100% true.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
              Not sure this is 100% true.

https://twitter.com/American_Conf/st...516596234?s=19
              You never "offer" until the agree to accept an offer

We got shot down. Now we are looking at the trash in the east.

SMU and Tulsa getting offered by the MWC might actually happen. Gonzaga has been rumored to be interested in MWC now that BYU is gone. Just have to hope we get tossed in there to balance the east and to balance the Olympic sports.

Comment

• Welp, this makes things interesting.

You figure UAB is still in, and they're solid and should be able to be competitive in both sports.

After that you start to stretch some things. Buffalo apparently has some facilities and maybe support issues. Though if the Bills leave Buffalo, which they've been threatening, the University could benefit.

App St. brings in pretty good football and **** basketball.

Marshall has had some solid teams in both.

I don't know much about Toledo other than they've had some good teams in both in recent years, but I don't pay much attention to the MAC in general.

UTSA has major upside in football but basketball doesn't look good.

North Texas seems like a no-brainer, but they share a market with SMU

Rice is really smart but don't give a **** about sports.

FAU is in Miami. That's about it.

Georgia State is in Atlanta. That's about it.

ODU is somewhere. They've had some good basketball and I believe have been investing in football, but I know nothing about their football program.

Charlotte is in Charlotte and had a good basketball team once, many years ago.

Texas State is in Texas, between San Antonio and Austin I believe. Don't know much about their athletics.

Western Kentucky hasn't been mentioned but they've had some success in both sports. No market.

Army was a long shot with AFA, they're a no go without them.

La Tech has had some success in both sports, but may be at their ceiling.

Coastal Carolina is a new flash in the pan that I know little about other than they've had a couple of good years in football.

UMass is Umass. They really offer nothing other than being UMass.

Liberty brings well supported and decently successful athletics but they're Liberty and probably don't get passed university presidents.

Losing out on the Colorado schools definitely hurts. Makes me wonder if we only add two now. I wonder if after BSU and SDSU said no if there was any effort to maybe add USU and UNLV or something. Maybe it wouldn't have helped and maybe they weren't interested. Landing the CO schools would have opened the door for more if BSU bolts in a year or two. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the MWC has offered North Texas and one other TX school in the not too distant future. They'd still probably have to wait until we make our move as those Texas schools would most likely rather be in an eastern conference than a western one.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Apparently CBS offered to renegotiate early and shut the door on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

You never "offer" until the agree to accept an offer

We got shot down. Now we are looking at the trash in the east.

SMU and Tulsa getting offered by the MWC might actually happen. Gonzaga has been rumored to be interested in MWC now that BYU is gone. Just have to hope we get tossed in there to balance the east and to balance the Olympic sports.
                    The MWC plus SMU, Tulsa, WSU, and Gonzaga would be a great basketball conference. However, WSU doesn't really recruit the West Coast and the late games would be suboptimal. This whole thing is a mess.

Comment

Apparently CBS offered to renegotiate early and shut the door on this.
                      That's a little surprising since most everyone is convinced that Boise is gone before the current TV deal ends in a couple of years. I suppose they can renegotiate and then have an out when Boise leaves, as Boise is a big part of their current value.

USF needs to get their **** together.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• According to Taylor, he doesn't believe even this will change Boatrights opinion on changing conferences.

Seriously .. how do we get him fired? He's just not trying.

Comment

According to Taylor, he doesn't believe even this will change Boatrights opinion on changing conferences.

Seriously .. how do we get him fired? He's just not trying.
                          Because trying to jump ship would be a panicked reaction and short-sighted. We really need to be in a conference that has Texas ties.

You also don't need to do anything until you know what the AAC is going to do and what ESPN is going to do. Money still plays a part as well.

Also, if you're the AD, you'd be an idiot to come out and say anything but we're committed to the AAC.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Because trying to jump ship would be a panicked reaction and short-sighted. We really need to be in a conference that has Texas ties.

You also don't need to do anything until you know what the AAC is going to do and what ESPN is going to do. Money still plays a part as well.

Also, if you're the AD, you'd be an idiot to come out and say anything but we're committed to the AAC.
                            There is a huge difference between "coming out and saying something" which i agree. That's all he can say. There has been no talk, rumors that he's doing ANYTHING but just accepting our fate no matter how bad it is.

At this point though .. There are multiple options that would be better than what the AAC can even remotely hope of doing now that the MWC wing is out.

Yet again .. not saying panic and jump .. but also not doing anything at all is fire worthy.

Comment

Welp, this makes things interesting.

You figure UAB is still in, and they're solid and should be able to be competitive in both sports.

After that you start to stretch some things. Buffalo apparently has some facilities and maybe support issues. Though if the Bills leave Buffalo, which they've been threatening, the University could benefit.

App St. brings in pretty good football and **** basketball.

Marshall has had some solid teams in both.

I don't know much about Toledo other than they've had some good teams in both in recent years, but I don't pay much attention to the MAC in general.

UTSA has major upside in football but basketball doesn't look good.

North Texas seems like a no-brainer, but they share a market with SMU

Rice is really smart but don't give a **** about sports.

FAU is in Miami. That's about it.

Georgia State is in Atlanta. That's about it.

ODU is somewhere. They've had some good basketball and I believe have been investing in football, but I know nothing about their football program.

Charlotte is in Charlotte and had a good basketball team once, many years ago.

Texas State is in Texas, between San Antonio and Austin I believe. Don't know much about their athletics.

Western Kentucky hasn't been mentioned but they've had some success in both sports. No market.

Army was a long shot with AFA, they're a no go without them.

La Tech has had some success in both sports, but may be at their ceiling.

Coastal Carolina is a new flash in the pan that I know little about other than they've had a couple of good years in football.

UMass is Umass. They really offer nothing other than being UMass.

Liberty brings well supported and decently successful athletics but they're Liberty and probably don't get passed university presidents.

Losing out on the Colorado schools definitely hurts. Makes me wonder if we only add two now. I wonder if after BSU and SDSU said no if there was any effort to maybe add USU and UNLV or something. Maybe it wouldn't have helped and maybe they weren't interested. Landing the CO schools would have opened the door for more if BSU bolts in a year or two. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the MWC has offered North Texas and one other TX school in the not too distant future. They'd still probably have to wait until we make our move as those Texas schools would most likely rather be in an eastern conference than a western one.
                              Not seeing any combination that would get us very excited.

Comment

• Not terribly surprised with this outcome. At this point it would seem that just about anything the AAC might do going forward will be pretty underwhelming. My expectation is that Memphis will be gone as well at some point. I am also suspect about how excited ESPN is about the "New AAC".

My hope is the MWC has been working hard under the radar to attract Gonzaga with plans to add WSU, SMU and Tulsa. If they could get their TV partners (CBS/Fox I think) excited about this maybe they can make it happen. The linchpin to all this would be whether or not the MWC and their TV partners can lure Gonzaga to make a move. Now is the time to put on the full court press with BYU leaving the WCC for the Big 12.

I suppose it would be too much to even dream of an invite from the Big East.

Comment

Working...
                                X