Isaac Brown: Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post
    You can be proud that WSU only lost by one to Drake. That says a lot more about your belief in IB (or lack thereof) than actually vocalizing it.
    I'm not proud we lost a game we should have won ...

I'm not dumb enough to think losing a game (that we were underdogs) by 1 means the AAC Regular Season champs that made the NCAA tourney is the laughing stock of college basketball.

Yet again, we were the laughing stock when half our team transferred, then it's very publicly brought out that our Coach is accused of a lot of TERRIBLE things ... then he steps down to avoid having a report come out that would incriminate both him and the AD. THAT is when we were the laughing stock. That's where Cincy is right now... or USF ....

You can be super upset about a 1 point loss .. that says more about your hard on for Gregg Marshall and your inability to accept anyone else as head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

and that bolded part isn't a knee jerk reaction? We literally beat the spread last night. We were 2 pt underdogs.

You want to know when we were ACTUALLY the laughing stock of college basketball? October and November.
      That post about laughingstock might be the dumbest post in a vast sea of stupid posts.... IB will be fine

Comment

I'm not dumb enough to think losing a game (that we were underdogs) by 1 means the AAC Regular Season champs that made the NCAA tourney is the laughing stock of college basketball.

Yet again, we were the laughing stock when half our team transferred, then it's very publicly brought out that our Coach is accused of a lot of TERRIBLE things ... then he steps down to avoid having a report come out that would incriminate both him and the AD. THAT is when we were the laughing stock. That's where Cincy is right now... or USF ....

You can be super upset about a 1 point loss .. that says more about your hard on for Gregg Marshall and your inability to accept anyone else as head coach.
        I don’t think there is a single poster that has said that they are unable to accept anyone other than Gregg as head coach since he walked out the door.

Losing players to transfers doesn’t get you laughed at. Maybe it gets you a sideways glance. Winning your conference and losing a play in game to a team that was decidedly second best in a conference you deemed yourself too good to be a part of gets you laughed at.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
          I don’t think there is a single poster that has said that they are unable to accept anyone other than Gregg as head coach since he walked out the door.

Losing players to transfers doesn’t get you laughed at. Maybe it gets you a sideways glance. Winning your conference and losing a play in game to a team that was decidedly second best in a conference you deemed yourself too good to be a part of gets you laughed at.
          You are extremely disconnected from reality with this statement.

I think you are confusing your personal insecurities with being a national laughingstock. We lost to a team we weren't favored to beat and by most metrics was a higher ranked team. I agree we are the better team .. but it's far from something to be laughed at.

Comment

I think you are confusing your personal insecurities with being a national laughingstock. We lost to a team we weren't favored to beat and by most metrics was a higher ranked team. I agree we are the better team .. but it's far from something to be laughed at.
            You need to move on from arguing with these people...you will not win...they equate THIS team with ones peopled by players named Fred, Ron, Cle, Tekele, etc...there were NONE of those on this team....I've never seen fans turn on a coach this quickly...was/is he perfect? No...nor was Izzo last night, who had a 14 point lead and much more talented players on the court with him AND a national title to his name... in fact, we don't know what IB WILL be...but in THIS weird season, he was pretty great and the voice this undertalented, disjointed COVID affected team needed....

Comment

Drake wasn't a good team, and neither was Cincinnati. We should have won each of those games with some ease. Drake shouldn't have been favored, and we should have won by double figures, but we couldn't put them away. '

We were National Darlings for a long time because we won. I wouldn't go for the National Laughing stock statement, but if we don't continue to win, our national reputation will not remain. This is an important time.

Comment

• Our performance was embarrassing. IB is coach now for several years at least. He needs to get some better players and an associate head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Our performance was embarrassing. IB is coach now for several years at least. He needs to get some better players and an associate head coach.
                  Yeah. Billy Kennedy is a terrible assistant. So is Lou.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• HCIB will prove if he's the right man for the job over the next few weeks. Does he, and the staff, have the 'name power' to get quality recruits from all levels: HS, Juco and transfer portal. Is the name Wichita State enough without HCGM attached? Its apparent we need inside help and players with ability to score. I also believe IB will need to put in his own system. Surely he has his own ideas, don't think this was the year to do that with the way things played out. Probably the right decision to stay with system in place, but know its his, let's see what he has in store for the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

You need to move on from arguing with these people...you will not win...they equate THIS team with ones peopled by players named Fred, Ron, Cle, Tekele, etc...there were NONE of those on this team....I've never seen fans turn on a coach this quickly...was/is he perfect? No...nor was Izzo last night, who had a 14 point lead and much more talented players on the court with him AND a national title to his name... in fact, we don't know what IB WILL be...but in THIS weird season, he was pretty great and the voice this undertalented, disjointed COVID affected team needed....
                      I agree

Too many people living in the past. Fred and company aren't coming back. Marshall ain't coming back. And Final Fours don't happen every year for ANYONE. It's tough to advance EVERY time. Marshall University anyone?

This was a good first year for Brown given the circumstances. Hopefully he can keep it going. WAY to early to know for sure either way.

We will see what Brown can do. If he doesn't get it done in 3 years or so, buy him out and move on. That is how everyone except the blue bloods do it.

I don't want to see the "90's" return anymore than anyone else. And I get the fear of that. We just need to be thankful of how far this program has come and hope success continues. That is our reality right now
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktheheck View Post
                        HCIB will prove if he's the right man for the job over the next few weeks. Does he, and the staff, have the 'name power' to get quality recruits from all levels: HS, Juco and transfer portal. Is the name Wichita State enough without HCGM attached? Its apparent we need inside help and players with ability to score. I also believe IB will need to put in his own system. Surely he has his own ideas, don't think this was the year to do that with the way things played out. Probably the right decision to stay with system in place, but know its his, let's see what he has in store for the program.
                        Good post. Everyone needs to calm down. We over performed according to the pre season polls. Give Coach Brown time to recruit and time to make adjustments. We do need some size at center and power forward. There are plenty of players in the transfer portal and probably more quality high school players that will be available this year. A lot of schools will want transfers instead of hs players.

Comment

• Just as a quick reminder:

The first year that Gregg Marshall took WSU to the NCAAs, we lost by 1 in the Valley conference tournament semifinals, then lost by 3 to a 12 seed in our first NCAA tournament game.

That was a veteran team coming off of an NIT championship, not a team coming out of off-season turmoil. I remember how deflating that loss was, especially since we were graduating a bunch of core players and it felt like we had missed our chance.

The next year we went to the Final Four.

My premise here is not that we will be going to the Final Four next year or that IB will even necessarily turn out to be a good coach. My premise is that the same instinctive reaction to how we ended this season applies pretty much verbatim to how we ended that season, but a season ending that way doesn't mean the coach is a bad coach.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                            Just as a quick reminder:

That was a veteran team coming off of an NIT championship, not a team coming out of off-season turmoil. I remember how deflating that loss was, especially since we were graduating a bunch of core players and it felt like we had missed our chance.

That is because Marshall reloaded with a CLE. There also was those new frosh of Fred & Ron.

I do look forward to what happens with recruiting this off-season. If HCIB can somehow swing 1 or 2 big recruits, some of the chirping will subside.

Comment

Why do you have to throw Gregg Marshall in there? Most people have accepted that result and moved on. You can accept reality that Gregg is and will never the coach here and also not be doing cartwheels that they locked down IB without doing a coaching search too.

AAC regular season champs in a shortened, weird season. I guess if that's the stuff that makes us puff our chests then so be it.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                                Just as a quick reminder:

The first year that Gregg Marshall took WSU to the NCAAs, we lost by 1 in the Valley conference tournament semifinals, then lost by 3 to a 12 seed in our first NCAA tournament game.

My premise here is not that we will be going to the Final Four next year or that IB will even necessarily turn out to be a good coach. My premise is that the same instinctive reaction to how we ended this season applies pretty much verbatim to how we ended that season, but a season ending that way doesn't mean the coach is a bad coach.
                                It's not even that we lost, ok it's a little bit that we lost because we lost to a Valley school that probably had no business being there either. It's the fact of HOW we lost that's not really acceptable. Yah, that VCU game was bad but VCU was vastly underseeded in that game.

In this game, we blew a pair of 12-point leads, never learned how to adjust throughout the game, had the game gift-wrapped to us, played against a team that looked BAD without its normal rotation, and lost the EXACT same way in the final 7 seconds as we did less than a week ago. None of that was comparable to Marshall's first NCAA game. And besides, I'll give Marshall a little more leeway. We had a great year, was ranked in the Top 15 at times and got a 5 seed. This team backed its way into a play-in game as an 11 seed on the heels of a asterisk-laced conference championship.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X