Isaac Brown: Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    our guys CAN rebound. The problem is, for most of the year, they haven't put forth the effort to be better rebounders. The Houston game was a good example of what we can do when we are focused in the right direction. It's not about height. It's about boxing out, having active hands and staying around long enough to try to grab the board. In the games where we looked terrible, we would have maybe one guy boxing out and 1 or 2 other guys have heartedly trying to pursue the ball. Watch UH, Memphis, even USF. Those guys are constantly swiping, swatting, etc. You don't always rebound by out jumping the other team. A lot of times it's just catching a guy being loose with the ball, but you gotta be active all the time.
    Additionally, I've seen situations this year where our guy gets his body on the opponent initially, but doesn't keep with it, allowing the opponent to get around him and secure the rebound. It has to become 2nd nature to maintain body contact until it's time to release and go get the ball, or at least keep the opponent occupied long enough to make the rebound a 50/50 ball rather than an easy put-back.

Comment

• Perhaps someone could create a Google doc for the ideas we have to help Coach Brown improve the team....I'll bet he'd be appreciative!:)

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
        Perhaps someone could create a Google doc for the ideas we have to help Coach Brown improve the team....I'll bet he'd be appreciative!:)
        It would be a pretty short Google Doc if the only cell just said, "practice free throws."
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

You seem to live at the extremes, which is why you come off as so ridiculous. Nobody is asking for X to be recruited. X put forth effort to rebound. You can put forth effort and not be X. Sadly, in most games, our guys aren't putting forth much effort. A few individuals maybe, but not the majority. So many games we've had guys standing flat footed, not putting a body on anyone, and then not even attacking the ball.

In these games, some fans want "over the back" calls, but when we're standing around putting forth little to no effort, you don't get those calls because the players getting the rebounds aren't fouling anyone and are actually making an effort to rebound. No ref is going to actively reinforce poor effort in such cases. Hell, if our guys would just put a body on someone, maybe we get a few of those calls.

Once again, height has very little to do with good rebounding. Effort and execution do. You seem to want to ignore that aspect of the game for some reason. I've never given IB a good laugh as you put it. I do have my concerns about him. I do think fans that have been clamoring for him to be hired, mostly to keep current players here, were being short sighted. That's still the biggest thing many of those all in on IB talk about. I care more about where IB will have this program in five years, than I do next year. If we keep everyone and are good next year and then fall off because he doesn't do the other things, it will have been a bad hire. I like IB. I want IB to succeed. But unlike you, I'm not going to kneel before the man and then post with my mouth full.

I'm not sorry if being objective doesn't sit well with you. But I'm not going to change because it bothers your fragile sensibilities.
          Extremes? How thick can you be? This is a thread about the WSU head Coach. Gosh, If it weren't for him we'd be, what, 16-1 and ranked top 5 nationally, right?

In other words, why don't you bring this trash over to the We Suck At Rebounding Thread, because if it's a coaches issue, or lack thereof, why are you letting GGG off the hook? Didn't you see the relevant post I inserted regarding last year's squad shortcomings on hitting the glass, of which all players remain except the 7 footer? I'll re-post it here shortly for you.

Since you're the expert here, why don't you start a thread on why current players who can't dribble with their left hand insist on trying to drive the ball from 15-18 feet, which more often than not ends in turnovers? Because if Coach Brown could get that fixed we'd be 15-2, right? Or maybe start a thread about lack of movement of offense, because if the coach placed a little more emphasis in that area we'd have a 2 game lead over the 10th ranked team in the country instead of a 1 game lead, heading into March.

Do. You. Get. My. Point? STFU.
          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; March 3, 2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Perhaps someone could create a Google doc for the ideas we have to help Coach Brown improve the team....I'll bet he'd be appreciative!:)
            Get every rebound
            Get every loose ball
            Make all your Free Throws (they are free right?)
            Don't let the other team score
            Assist and a layup on every possession

Super easy to do .. just takes coaching and effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Get every rebound
              Get every loose ball
              Make all your Free Throws (they are free right?)
              Don't let the other team score
              Assist and a layup on every possession

Super easy to do .. just takes coaching and effort.
              We'll win a Natty fo' so'... ; D

Don't go talking over some peoples' head's like that Stick. It'll just add to their confusion.

Comment

Don't worry, I auto-forward each post in this thread as an email to him.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• What we really need is for our opponents to stop shooting such colossal bricks that karem off in crazy directions. That would help our rebounding.

Another thing that would help is making teams pay for sending mass bodies in for rebounds. If we grab a rebound and push it in transition, teams might start sending more guys back and sending less guys to the offensive glass.

It seems like Houston sent 7 or 8 guys in. 3 or 4 guys cleared the road and the linebackers went in for the sack.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    Another thing that would help is making teams pay for sending mass bodies in for rebounds. If we grab a rebound and push it in transition, teams might start sending more guys back and sending less guys to the offensive glass.

It seems like Houston sent 7 or 8 guys in. 3 or 4 guys cleared the road and the linebackers went in for the sack.
                    And somehow we out rebounded Houston. WOW. How did we do that if they are a Top 10 Rebounding team and our team is too short to rebound (Top 240). Something isn’t logical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Don't worry, I auto-forward each post in this thread as an email to him.
                      That is a wonderful gift to him!!!:)

Comment

• Good to know that an in depth discussion about the game of basketball is frowned upon by some members of the basketball forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

And somehow we out rebounded Houston. WOW. How did we do that if they are a Top 10 Rebounding team and our team is too short to rebound (Top 240). Something isn’t logical.
                          We are getting better.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

We are getting better.
                            So we should be able to have more rebounds than Tulane (who is one of the few teams we did have more rebounds) and South Florida (who did have Yetna at that time but probably not now) who out rebounded us by 11 a couple of months ago? I think so but some say we are just too short.

Comment

Why didn't we do it either game against Houston last year? It was GGG's fault then, right?
                              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; March 3, 2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

So we should be able to have more rebounds than Tulane (who is one of the few teams we did have more rebounds) and South Florida (who did have Yetna at that time but probably not now) who out rebounded us by 11 a couple of months ago? I think so but some say we are just too short.
                                The "we're too short" angle is a lot closer to the truth than a painfully stupid position of "It's Coach Brown's fault the Shocks don't rebound the ball better." How'd we do twice against Houston last year? I didn't hear you blaming GGG after either one of those games. Look, we'd all rather be 16-1 and ranked 10th instead of Houston, but Chris Jans ain't coming to save the day ok?

Didn't you start a thread about 'We Suck At Rebounding' or something like that? Why aren't you over there talking to yourself?
                                Last edited by ShockingButTrue; March 3, 2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X