Isaac Brown: Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
    Ouch! I think it means not the way you would have done it....

Comment

Ouch! I think it means not the way you would have done it....
      Yes, I was irritated that there was not a formal interview process for multiple candidates. I can’t fault them for going with IB, but a formal process should have been followed out of respect for the prestige of the position.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I guess I can see that...to a degree...but when would you have done it....after the season, 4 weeks from now? and do we know for sure Boatright DIDN'T test the temperature of a few possibilities?

Comment

I guess I can see that...to a degree...but when would you have done it....after the season, 4 weeks from now? and do we know for sure Boatright DIDN'T test the temperature of a few possibilities?
          On The Roundhouse podcast he said he had a list of people he was interested in and watched all of their games. He had some coaches from P5 conferences reach out, both personally and with their agents. It sounds like he wasn't impressed with the people that reached out. Thought the ones that were genuinely interested weren't good enough, about to get fired, etc. and the others were looking to use it as leverage for a raise.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
            Yes, I was irritated that there was not a formal interview process for multiple candidates. I can’t fault them for going with IB, but a formal process should have been followed out of respect for the prestige of the position.
            There is no point in formal interviews if you have no intention of hiring the candidate. If the list of people that wanted or would be willing to do a formal interviews is a bunch of people you already know enough about to know you wont hire them ... then why do it? Isaac Brown made the acceptable list of people that WSU could hire over him very very small. We weren't just going to hire a nobody based off an interview. They would have had to shown something somewhere that made us take interest.

Yes coaching at WSU is prestigious .. I 100% agree with that .. but that's not limited to Head Coach. If we refused to hire IB because he had never been a head coach before, it's going to be REALLY hard to keep assistant coaches around. Assistant coaches are often just as valuable as the head coach. Think about it. Would you stay as an assistant if the previous assistant worked hard for 7 years as an assistant, got tossed into a difficult situation, ended up knocking it out of the park, likely winning AAC COY only for WSU to hire over top of him? No, you'd either not come to WSU as an assistant or you would come, stay for a couple years then bounce onto a job with a clear career path.

Comment

• Formal interviews for the best college jobs ended long ago. Even when Marshall was hired in 2007, Jim Schaus did it through the informal process, with contacts made without anyone knowing what was going on. Interviews are on the down low, and the first time the public would know is when THE coach and family are flown in for the formal interview while negotiations are in process. The decision has already been made by that time, unless red flags show up late in the process for either side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                Formal interviews for the best college jobs ended long ago. Even when Marshall was hired in 2007, Jim Schaus did it through the informal process, with contacts made without anyone knowing what was going on. Interviews are on the down low, and the first time the public would know is when THE coach and family are flown in for the formal interview while negotiations are in process. The decision has already been made by that time, unless red flags show up late in the process for either side.
                100% agree

Comment

• Some interesting facts per my memory. The behind the scenes interviews included Sean Sutton also. I don’t remember the exact order but Sutton dropped out (By media story) just a day or two prior to GM flying in to Wichita as the Top candidate with only the t’s needing to be crossed. It was a done deal. Now, looking back, how close were we to having Sutton as our head coach? We could have gone in a totally different direction with no NIT Championship, F4, 34-0 in 2014, Sweet 16, Top 40 program, etc. I’m not sure what other candidates were involved but Schaus made the right choice.

Comment

• Marshall was my choice, the day fHCMT announced he was the HC at A&M. I knew he was the real deal and WSU had a golden opportunity to snatch him before someone else could.

I hope the same is the case with IB, in that a lot of major programs will wonder: “why the hell did no one hire this guy before?”
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                      Marshall was my choice, the day fHCMT announced he was the HC at A&M. I knew he was the real deal and WSU had a golden opportunity to snatch him before someone else could.

I hope the same is the case with IB, in that a lot of major programs will wonder: “why the hell did no one hire this guy before?”
                      If this is in fact true, you must be the Nostradamus.....I literally had never heard of the man(well, maybe a little....)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        Some interesting facts per my memory. The behind the scenes interviews included Sean Sutton also. I don’t remember the exact order but Sutton dropped out (By media story) just a day or two prior to GM flying in to Wichita as the Top candidate with only the t’s needing to be crossed. It was a done deal. Now, looking back, how close were we to having Sutton as our head coach? We could have gone in a totally different direction with no NIT Championship, F4, 34-0 in 2014, Sweet 16, Top 40 program, etc. I’m not sure what other candidates were involved but Schaus made the right choice.
                        Pretty sure it was Scott Sutton not Sean and he was damned close as he was in route to look at homes to buy in Wichita.

Doug Elgin was the man to thank for making it happen, as much or more than anyone. He was the one that called Gregg and said "Gregg, it's time".

Valley or not, Doug deserves a TON of credit for that, more than I can ever give him. Never, ever, EVER will forget seeing him at the Final Four. Really special moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                          Marshall was my choice, the day fHCMT announced he was the HC at A&M. I knew he was the real deal and WSU had a golden opportunity to snatch him before someone else could.

You're not alone. As soon as Turg was gone, Marshall was easily the top and best target to go after. He'd made a name for himself winning at Winthrop, and beating some good teams while there.

If only it were always that simple and obvious when the job opens up.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Then I stand happily corrected.....:)

Comment

• A person can't help but feel happy for the players in the video when the news was announced. It truly is the feelgood story of the year for our guys, who just continue to win.

That being said... I don't trust BeltTight as far as I can throw him (and believe me, that wouldn't be very far). Did he truly conduct the due diligence during his "coaching search" that a program like ours demands? Yes, Coach Brown has won a lot of games this year, but the fact remains that he has no prior head coaching experience. And while the guy seems eternally nice... you know what they say about nice guys and where they usually finish. And I'm not going to offer an opinion on his perceived IQ from listening to the coaching shows. He's a very nice guy...

Let's hope he can recruit like Penny Hardaway!
                              As for the rest; I'll hope for the best!
                              Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                                A person can't help but feel happy for the players in the video when the news was announced. It truly is the feelgood story of the year for our guys, who just continue to win.

That being said... I don't trust BeltTight as far as I can throw him (and believe me, that wouldn't be very far). Did he truly conduct the due diligence during his "coaching search" that a program like ours demands? Yes, Coach Brown has won a lot of games this year, but the fact remains that he has no prior head coaching experience. And while the guy seems eternally nice... you know what they say about nice guys and where they usually finish. And I'm not going to offer an opinion on his perceived IQ from listening to the coaching shows. He's a very nice guy...

Let's hope he can recruit like Penny Hardaway!
                                As for the rest; I'll hope for the best!
                                Go Shocks!
                                Stick to political stuff Clod. No ones listening to you here.

Comment

Working...
                                X