Isaac Brown: Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    And I'm not going to offer an opinion on his perceived IQ from listening to the coaching shows.
    This is BS and you know it. If you didn't want to offer an opinion, which obviously you did, you would have omitted this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

This is BS and you know it. If you didn't want to offer an opinion, which obviously you did, you would have omitted this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        A person can't help but feel happy for the players in the video when the news was announced. It truly is the feelgood story of the year for our guys, who just continue to win.

That being said... I don't trust BeltTight as far as I can throw him (and believe me, that wouldn't be very far). Did he truly conduct the due diligence during his "coaching search" that a program like ours demands? Yes, Coach Brown has won a lot of games this year, but the fact remains that he has no prior head coaching experience. And while the guy seems eternally nice... you know what they say about nice guys and where they usually finish. And I'm not going to offer an opinion on his perceived IQ from listening to the coaching shows. He's a very nice guy...

Let's hope he can recruit like Penny Hardaway!
        As for the rest; I'll hope for the best!
        Go Shocks!
        I believe the whole point of Shockm's post was that "due diligence" is not what it used to be. In fact, I think that frequently a particular AD is hired often because they HAVE a coach or two in their speed dial and the said school needs a new coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

He's feeling a little extra spunky because the Chickens beat Baylor last week. ; D

Comment

• For all those who are questioning the Isaac Brown hire. How about a good pros and cons list.

Pros : Good motivator Players coach
            Will be very likely to return the majority of the players for next season. An outside hire likely would have seen major defections and a rebuild job of a couple years.
            Can start recruiting right away with the knowledge that he will be here for a little while.
            Has playing experience at a high level of college ball, which he can relate to players with who he is recruiting.
            . He doesn't have negative baggage he brings into the job.

Cons: No previous head coaching experience before this
            Year.
            Is he a closer when the competition is tight on the
            Recruiting trail ?
            . Does he have the x's and o's down to coach against
            . The best in a tight situation ?
            As noted above a lot of unknowns.

Yes, the truth is he is a gamble. Personally I think he is worth taking. If he doesn't pan out, the buyout at this point is likely to be low in about 3 to 4 years. If we bring in someone new, it is very likely that it would take about three years to rebuild the program, between likely transfers and late entries into recruiting battles for the first year or two.
            I guess for me, he has shown enough that the risk vs reward is enough to give the man his shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
              For all those who are questioning the Isaac Brown hire. How about a good pros and cons list.

Pros : Good motivator Players coach
              Will be very likely to return the majority of the players for next season. An outside hire likely would have seen major defections and a rebuild job of a couple years.
              Can start recruiting right away with the knowledge that he will be here for a little while.
              Has playing experience at a high level of college ball, which he can relate to players with who he is recruiting.
              . He doesn't have negative baggage he brings into the job.

Cons: No previous head coaching experience before this
              Year.
              Is he a closer when the competition is tight on the
              Recruiting trail ?
              . Does he have the x's and o's down to coach against
              . The best in a tight situation ?
              As noted above a lot of unknowns.

Yes, the truth is he is a gamble. Personally I think he is worth taking. If he doesn't pan out, the buyout at this point is likely to be low in about 3 to 4 years. If we bring in someone new, it is very likely that it would take about three years to rebuild the program, between likely transfers and late entries into recruiting battles for the first year or two.
              I guess for me, he has shown enough that the risk vs reward is enough to give the man his shot.
              A top ten 2010-2020 program should not have to do a pro/con list when they hire a new coach...
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                A top ten 2010-2020 program should not have to do a pro/con list when they hire a new coach...
                Every coach in America has pros and cons. If you aren't looking at candidates close enough to find out their weak spots , then you probably shouldn't be on the hiring committee.

Admittedly IB cons are that certain aspects of him are unknown. If you don't like him being the coach, you're welcome to that opinion. To act like there would be no pros and cons with other candidates is wishful thinking.

Comment

Every coach in America has pros and cons. If you aren't looking at candidates close enough to find out their weak spots , then you probably shouldn't be on the hiring committee.

Admittedly IB cons are that certain aspects of him are unknown. If you don't like him being the coach, you're welcome to that opinion. To act like there would be no pros and cons with other candidates is wishful thinking.
                  Another pro: He shows up to the Coaches Show on time.
                  Last edited by shoxlax; March 2, 2021, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Another pro: He shows up to the Coaches Show on time.
                    This is really what closed the deal

Comment

Sure, but a program of the stature we think WSU is should be able to hire a coach whose pro’s far outweigh his cons to the point that it’s not worth talking about.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• .........for the love of God........

Comment

• How can a pro/con list be complete without mention of calling time outs and practicing free throws?
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            .........for the love of God........
                            Yep... totally yep...

Comment

• Long story short. This is the best outcome after loosing the best coach in program history given the overall climate. I get people thinking how we should have waited and under “normal” circumstances I’d probably be right there but this isn’t normal by any means. After this crazy azz Covid infused season college basketball will basically go through free agency. Do you really want to be on your 3rd coach in 3 years when this happens?
                              Yes, we could get (fill in the blank) and he’d keep our young talent then get all the great transfers while recruiting the 5* big men that’d be stupid to not come here too because we are a top 20 program that should act and expect as such. (Little tongue and cheek)
                              Unfortunately, there are just too many variables this year to conclude that this would be a likely outcome. So when IB took his interim opportunity and ran with it this put us in prime position to take a lot of variables out of the equation. How fortunate are we to have IB through this messed up time? I feel had he not been able to lead us through this and get the gig we might have dug ourself a hole so deep that even a “Marshall” level hire won’t able to clime out of it mainly due to dumb luck in timing...that’s it. (A little over the top because how bare the cupboard was he got here but you get the point)
                              When I see some of you angered by this hire and then just breeze past the uniqueness of the whole situation this year seems hollow and self serving in a “rooting for your prediction” type of way. So we didn’t get to make a splash hire to push up back on the national spotlight but maybe we stumbled into the person to puts us back there the old fashion way like the guy before him by winning followed by more winning.
                              If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• I think we got the best "splash" hire available this year. National media and national fans were expecting a dive into the bottom half of the league. Instead, the Shox are looking good to win the regular season championship.

Porter Moser is the hot mid-major coach. He's well ahead of Jans in national recognition. Coaches in similar situation to Chris Weber might be interested. The guy at Iowa State is likely to be available.

That's the options Boatright was looking at.

I'm 100% confident that Jans was considered and either DB or CJ wasn't comfortable with that working relationship.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X