Isaac Brown: Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Did you actually read what I said? I agree with what you said and I didn't even mention the aspect of in game coaching. He has showed that he can coach during a game.

The aspect I was talking about is when a Head Coach has to "fire" a friend who is also an Assistant Coach. It could also include a Head Coach having to tell a player who was recruited to WSU that he isn't good enough to play here. Both of those things has to be handled by a Head Coach, and he hasn't had to do that yet. That is a task of leadership that isn't easy.
    Not deeply because most of it was nonsense. When's the last time you saw an assistant coach anywhere in D1 being "let go" in a public fashion, on ESPN, Fox or even the Drive? I'm not claiming that that has never happened, don't misunderstand. But that talking point is about as relevant as discussing the merits of Kim Kardasheians GPA.

Basically, are you wondering if Coach IB has it in him to be an a**-hole, anywhere at anytime, under any circumstance? He probably doesn't, if that's what you're getting at. But I'm guessing, along with the people who hired him, he could get the same results if necessary. So, yes...

Comment

• Sure, IB has shown an ability to coach. And he’s been recruiting his whole career. And he’s been mentored by some great coaches.

But what if he hits a deer on the highway? Does the have the fortitude to end its suffering with his bare hands?
      Last edited by pie n eye; March 1, 2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
        Sure, IB has shown an ability to coach. And he’s been recruiting his whole career. And he’s been mentored by some great coaches.

But what if he hits a deer on the highway? Does the have the fortitude to end it’s suffering with his bare hands?
        Might explain the lack of coaching search options if that test was put in the application process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          From the Taylor article (not behind a paywall).

To IB and the staff's credit, they understand how they got here. I think all Shocker fans can appreciate that. Marshall is single-handedly responsible for a number of cottage industries around Wichita, this one included.
          What would change my feelings regarding the circumvention of the hiring process is if it were Marshall endorsed. This shows that is a distinct possibility.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I see that there is a new hire presser on youtube, but the audio aint workin.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

What would change my feelings regarding the circumvention of the hiring process is if it were Marshall endorsed. This shows that is a distinct possibility.
              3Gs had privately been endorsing/rooting for IB to get the gig, before it was announced.

That was something that made myself feel good about the (formally) potential hiring.
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Not deeply because most of it was nonsense. When's the last time you saw an assistant coach anywhere in D1 being "let go" in a public fashion, on ESPN, Fox or even the Drive? I'm not claiming that that has never happened, don't misunderstand. But that talking point is about as relevant as discussing the merits of Kim Kardasheians GPA.

Basically, are you wondering if Coach IB has it in him to be an a**-hole, anywhere at anytime, under any circumstance? He probably doesn't, if that's what you're getting at. But I'm guessing, along with the people who hired him, he could get the same results if necessary. So, yes...
                You’re. Freaking moron. Firing a friend isn’t easy but that doesn’t mean he can’t. But one does feel at least a little bit like an ass hole. IB is a very nice guy, and maybe he won’t feel a thing. I’ve known a couple of people who didn’t fire someone they should have, when they should have because of their personal relationship.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Describe 'circumvention', in this case......

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    Sure, IB has shown an ability to coach. And he’s been recruiting his whole career. And he’s been mentored by some great coaches.

But what if he hits a deer on the highway? Does the have the fortitude to end its suffering with his bare hands?
                    Several of you who are IB’s biggest supporters have admitted that we won’t know if he is/was the right choice for a few years. Well every new thing he goes through will be the first time for him and will be a test passed or not passed. So don’t criticize others for keeping tabs on his progress and successes/failures. So far he’s passed the tests he’s had. However, if he runs over a deer, he needs to pass (your words) that test too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Several of you who are IB’s biggest supporters have admitted that we won’t know if he is/was the right choice for a few years. Well every new thing he goes through will be the first time for him and will be a test passed or not passed. So don’t criticize others for keeping tabs on his progress and successes/failures. So far he’s passed the tests he’s had. However, if he runs over a deer, he needs to pass (your words) that test too.
                      I’m only joking. Of course you’re right. He will face many new challenges moving forward as a head coach that he wouldn’t have to deal with as an assistant.

Comment

• I remember reading a story 8-9 years ago that one of our incoming Freshmen would sit up in the stands just watching the rest of the team practice. Observing...learning. I believe he even red-shirted that year. Patiently he waited for his turn. Young man will more than likely have his jersey hung in the Koch rafters someday. I liken our new head coach the same way. He has observed and learned waiting patiently for his turn. Now it's his turn!

Go Shocks!!!
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Once again, the target has been missed. First, it is not too far fetched to think that Kennedy might not stay on. Also, that Gudino might have a head coaching offer. Guido and Waterman were Marshall hires not Brown's. That's not to say they don't fit. This is a fan board.
                          Thanks, I’m glad someone understood my reasoning. Not sure if Guido was intentional or not, but I like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Thanks, I’m glad someone understood my reasoning. Not sure if Guido was intentional or not, but I like it.
                            guido-costume-kit.jpg

Sorry, it was not.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Describe 'circumvention', in this case......
                              Nah. I think everyone else is smart enough to know what I mean.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Ouch! I think it means not the way you would have done it....

Comment

Working...
                                X