Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Pretty strong statement; while I don't think the program was in "full decline" I do agree with your statement "this program under GM was not going anywhere" as regards winning the AAC Mens Basketball Championship and Tournament.
    He couldn't beat Houston, either. We shouldn't have gotten blown out the way we did when we played them, if you were to believe the level of talent we had.

I attended the U of H game here (in Houston) about 3 years ago, and we got beat so bad, I was embarrassed for ever believing we could win that one. I posted at the time I would never attend another game here unless things changed bigly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I will unapologetically stand for what right - always. Anything else is "Idolatry".
      We may not agree on politics, but I absolutely agree with the statements you've made today. As to whether the program was in steep decline or decline, that is in the eye of the beholder, but it is a fact.

Comment

• I wonder if the slight decline was a product of recruiting pressure in the AAC to bring in higher ranked players but those players not fitting the culture of HCGM's coaching style.

I was highly skeptical that HCGM could actually land a 5 star player, or recruit and retain 4 stars consistently. The "chip on your shoulder" mentality doesn't seem to play well with many of them--probably because they aren't overlooked, aren't disrespected, and aren't overshadowed by bigger talents on their highschool/AAU teams.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

He couldn't beat Houston, either. We shouldn't have gotten blown out the way we did when we played them, if you were to believe the level of talent we had.

I attended the U of H game here (in Houston) about 3 years ago, and we got beat so bad, I was embarrassed for ever believing we could win that one. I posted at the time I would never attend another game here unless things changed bigly.
          I was at the last 3 games in Houston. 2 of them were totally embarrassing.

Comment

• Results are not matching top 15 compensation

Comment

We may not agree on politics, but I absolutely agree with the statements you've made today. As to whether the program was in steep decline or decline, that is in the eye of the beholder, but it is a fact.
              Total BS! People like you think that if you talk like a Machiavellian that you are tough. I would like to see your employer dump you in the days after your fallen below your peak performance. 95%of coaches never see the incline that Gregg achieved in the first place. By your stupid standard Coach K would have been fired a long time ago. I have to keep reminding myself, I don’t care whether you understand. Obviously not capable and the truth will reveal itself when you are sitting in the stands with about 4500 of the rest of us who will have to pay for your ignorance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

Total BS! People like you think that if you talk like a Machiavellian that you are tough. I would like to see your employer dump you in the days after your fallen below your peak performance. 95%of coaches never see the incline that Gregg achieved in the first place. By your stupid standard Coach K would have been fired a long time ago. I have to keep reminding myself, I don’t care whether you understand. Obviously not capable and the truth will reveal itself when you are sitting in the stands with about 4500 of the rest of us who will have to pay for your ignorance.
                Gregg isn't on the chopping block for performance so your rant, as always, is dumb. He's on the chopping block for punching a player. I'm sure Shocka's employer would fire him if he punched a coworker/employee. They definitely would if he lied about it too.

You say you dont care whether other people understand but you are one of the most unhinged people posting on this board. Like seriously, calm down, the amount of hostility you are holding can't be good for your health.

​​​​​​

Comment

I wish you were my boss. I hit a couple of home run sales a few years back. Should be good for another 10 years of underperformance and HR violations.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                    I wonder if the slight decline was a product of recruiting pressure in the AAC to bring in higher ranked players but those players not fitting the culture of HCGM's coaching style.

I was highly skeptical that HCGM could actually land a 5 star player, or recruit and retain 4 stars consistently. The "chip on your shoulder" mentality doesn't seem to play well with many of them--probably because they aren't overlooked, aren't disrespected, and aren't overshadowed by bigger talents on their highschool/AAU teams.
                    Agree; and don't forget having to replace half or more of the team's offense annually due to various factors, not the least of which was transfers. Good motivation requires recognition of individual differences as well as team motivational factors.

Comment

Let's assume that we are ignorant. How in the hell do any of us have any responsibility for any outcome as it relates to this matter? You will be paying for our ignorance? How? Is Shockernet the deciding factor and our messages on this board being considered in any way? You will pay for our ignorance?

The only way for your statement to be true is

#1 - Shockernet is the judge, Jury and Executioner for GM
                      #2 - Success at Wichita State can only be achieved with Gregg Marshall as coach.

Regardless of how you feel about GM getting axed or not, neither one of these 2 scenarios is the case. If you believe #2, you have only followed the program since the day you joined Shockernet.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                        I wonder if the slight decline was a product of recruiting pressure in the AAC to bring in higher ranked players but those players not fitting the culture of HCGM's coaching style.

I think we were still adjusting to the level of athletes and style of play in the AAC. The top tier teams like Cincy and Houston all had longer rangier athletes at all 5 positions. They also all had big time playmaking guards (Cumberland, Jarreau, those type of guys) that could create offense for themselves or teammates at any time in the shot clock. Big, athletic guards that can handle the rock, create their own shots and make em. We didn't really have any of those guys the last couple of seasons and probably haven't really had anyone with those capabilities since Ron and Fred. I think Alterique, although I recognize he's a smaller dude, will be that type of guy for us.

Post players are much more athletic too in this conference, and they can guard out on the perimeter. IIRC that's why Houston had so much success against us defensively. Our post guys last year were not athletically on the same level as some of those guys (mainly Mo and Asbjorn). Once Houston brought their posts up to hard hedge or even trap on ball screens, our ballhandlers were pretty much instantly trapped and then Houston kind of overwhelmed us into turning the ball over or taking a wild shot. Historically we haven't been great against teams that like to heavily pressure, going back to the VCU game in 2012 tourney.

I do think we upgraded athletes over the summer. Guys like Porter, Jackson, Council IV, Jenkins and Seymour are more in line with AAC level of athletes. If we coulda gotten that Nannu Njoku dude (could be totally butchering his name) that woulda been a massive get and the type of post player we need to compete.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

I wish you were my boss. I hit a couple of home run sales a few years back. Should be good for another 10 years of underperformance and HR violations.
                          That is a weak take.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

That team had poison on it that would make arsenic blush. And yet in spite of the odds being stacked squarely against us given that situation, we recovered and were headed toward the dance.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

He didn't just hit a couple home runs. He freaking caused the company valuation to skyrocket to an eventual IPO and made the founders effing wealthy beyond their imagination. Yeah, they would definitely give him as many years as they like to try and repeat that result. And no worries if he never does because they are set for life. And my analogy is pretty freakin' good if you drive down 21st or Oliver and open your eyes.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post

I think we were still adjusting to the level of athletes and style of play in the AAC. The top tier teams like Cincy and Houston all had longer rangier athletes at all 5 positions. They also all had big time playmaking guards (Cumberland, Jarreau, those type of guys) that could create offense for themselves or teammates at any time in the shot clock. Big, athletic guards that can handle the rock, create their own shots and make em. We didn't really have any of those guys the last couple of seasons and probably haven't really had anyone with those capabilities since Ron and Fred. I think Alterique, although I recognize he's a smaller dude, will be that type of guy for us.

Post players are much more athletic too in this conference, and they can guard out on the perimeter. IIRC that's why Houston had so much success against us defensively. Our post guys last year were not athletically on the same level as some of those guys (mainly Mo and Asbjorn). Once Houston brought their posts up to hard hedge or even trap on ball screens, our ballhandlers were pretty much instantly trapped and then Houston kind of overwhelmed us into turning the ball over or taking a wild shot. Historically we haven't been great against teams that like to heavily pressure, going back to the VCU game in 2012 tourney.

I do think we upgraded athletes over the summer. Guys like Porter, Jackson, Council IV, Jenkins and Seymour are more in line with AAC level of athletes. If we coulda gotten that Nannu Njoku dude (could be totally butchering his name) that woulda been a massive get and the type of post player we need to compete.
                                Fair point. I agree that the dudes we brought in this year were upgrades, and it remains to be seen how they'll perform in games. I'm hopeful.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X