No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ's players at NMSU are not far off from what we need. Especially if they are hungry.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
      CJ's players at NMSU are not far off from what we need. Especially if they are hungry.
      I know he's had some big men that I would gladly take. Long and athletic.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Totally agree with this statement. However, I'll stand by my statement of tempering our thinking of who all he would immediately bring in. Just not sure how much the recruiting trails cross between WSU and NM St. The AAC is in the top 20-25% while the WAC is in the bottom 30%.

Add: I would also agree that he could help close the deal on players we currently have relationships with.
        I don't disagree, but we're also going to have the same "issues" no matter who is hired. Be it Jans, Brown or someone else. Thankfully, barring mass defections, we don't need to fill a bunch of spots with impact players to compete. We have 2 spots open I believe so there's really less desperation in that sense.

We need to think beyond this next year or two and think who will be best for this program long term. I don't hate Brown, but Jans is the man that makes the absolute most sense and could be hired and immediately have the support and generate excitement from the vast majority of the fan base. Boatright needs to get over himself and make the call when the time comes. His job is in jeopardy after we have a new president, and hiring Jans could have the potential of buying him more time.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• There will still be a Darryl Willis available in April. We don't need to panic. We could use DW about now. He had flaws, mainly on team defense, but he could score, and rebound, and block shots too.

Comment

• With the extra year granted to all players we are actually not going to to 1 year behind. This is something that could work in our favor provided the right coach is hired and the majority of this current team stays in place. The current season will basically be a wash with close to the same roster next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
              There will still be a Darryl Willis available in April. We don't need to panic. We could use DW about now. He had flaws, mainly on team defense, but he could score, and rebound, and block shots too.
              Watchu talking about

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Watchu talking about
                Loved what you did there....:)

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  With the extra year granted to all players we are actually not going to to 1 year behind. This is something that could work in our favor provided the right coach is hired and the majority of this current team stays in place. The current season will basically be a wash with close to the same roster next year.
                  I would be surprised if either stay an extra year.

I would assume most will decline the extra year option at the end of the day.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This whole discussion has become
                    1. Pro IB
                    2. Never IB
                    3. Pro Chris Jans
                    4. Chris Jans MEH
                    5. No one else
                    All the initial talk of a high profile guy coming in has all but disappeared recently. Awhile back in this post I asked the question about how the search could be affected by the lack of a sitting president here at WSU. One noted that that was an interesting question but no one wanted to give their thoughts I guess. An interesting scenario in the search for a new coach is that Jans is from Iowa. If ISU gets rid of SP do they go after CJ and if they do would WSU even be in the running for his services. I would hope there were more than just the two options that seem to have occupied the focus of SN. Who would be viable candidates from other places ie head coaches or would we be ok with hiring a top assistant from a power conference?

Comment

• I assume all the initial high profile talk was related to the fact that there were two coaches, John Beilein and Thad Matta, who were unemployed (at least as head coaches) and therefore could possibly be swayed into taking a job a week before the season started. Plus, one of them, Thad Matta, was rumored by dipshit Davis (Seth) to have been contacted.

The idea of bringing in one of those two guys is not gone in my mind but obviously I have no say in who will be hired.

I would also be interested in Rick Pitino.

As far as the president goes, I don’t really see what difference that would make. Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s my understanding that the Athletic Director is responsible for hiring coaches.

I don’t imagine Iowa State’s coaching searching would have any affect on ours. Jans may be from Iowa but he’s gone to Florida (Chipola Juco), Wichita (twice), Ohio (Bowling Green), and New Mexico since then. Which is to say it’s possible his ties to Wichita are now as strong or stronger than his ties to Iowa.

To me, Jans is the obvious choice because of the familiarity between the two parties, he’s had success everywhere he’s been, he is of the Marshall tree which is a style that fans are used to and has seen success, and he’s young enough to coach here for many years if both sides so choose. The downside is the controversy from Bowling Green. Some people are willing to forgive past mistakes as long as the individual has acknowledged and changed, others think one mistake should eliminate you forever.

I don’t really follow coaches from other teams so I can’t speak to other candidates who are coaches at “lower levels”. I don’t care if the person we ultimately get was a ball boy in their last job as long as they know how to coach, recruit, build a program, and believe that they can go to Final Fours at WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

FWIW, the signing period begins April 14, so the answer for you might be by April 1.

My better answer would be the day after New Mexico State plays its final game.
                        Thank You.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I would be surprised if either stay an extra year.

I would assume most will decline the extra year option at the end of the day.
                          I'm not necessarily talking about the seniors. I am talking about the others. Everyone gets an extra year. I am confident we can find two schollies for AG and TW if they choose to leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            This whole discussion has become
                            1. Pro IB
                            2. Never IB
                            3. Pro Chris Jans
                            4. Chris Jans MEH
                            5. No one else
                            All the initial talk of a high profile guy coming in has all but disappeared recently. Awhile back in this post I asked the question about how the search could be affected by the lack of a sitting president here at WSU. One noted that that was an interesting question but no one wanted to give their thoughts I guess. An interesting scenario in the search for a new coach is that Jans is from Iowa. If ISU gets rid of SP do they go after CJ and if they do would WSU even be in the running for his services. I would hope there were more than just the two options that seem to have occupied the focus of SN. Who would be viable candidates from other places ie head coaches or would we be ok with hiring a top assistant from a power conference?
                            Hiring top assistants, IMO, is a rung or two below where WSU should be.

Are we at the same point we were in 07, with zero prospects and a tanked season in a mid major conference? That situation was good enough to net the absolute best low major coach on the market, a proven winner at all stops. WSU is a program that should be able to hire proven D-1 coaches, not a proving ground for wanna be D-1 coaches.

And that is why I am 3/5.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Coach looking good...happy

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                                Coach looking good...happy

I don't think they're at the beach....

Comment

Working...
                                X