Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

This is a good take. I read a golf article years ago talking about why the great golfers of our time don't attempt to be great golf teachers. Fred Couples was quoted as saying he couldn't more teach up a golfer than walk on the moon. He suggested that great players, in any sport, have a special gift to produce greatness, but the great majority just don't have it in their DNA to reproduce it in others. You just can't assume Fred, Ron, X, Antoine, Cliff or any other great player have what it takes to reproduce said greatness in others. Not everybody has that ability to communicate to a myriad of different personalities and create the requisite environment to put together a successful group of athletes. Don't equate an athletes career results to being able to do the same for others.
    Yes, but... we're not trying to reinvent someone's jump shot. Coaching is often about X's and O's, and drawing up plays, and developing strategy, and assessing talent, and scouting other team's talent... prior great players CAN have these abilities. They don't just say, "Shoot it like I do."

Comment

• Great players do not make great coaches

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Great players do not make great coaches
        Being a great player certainly does not guarantee success as a coach and while I don't have any stats to back it up it seems more often than not that they do not make great coaches.

OTOH:

As a 5'10" guard, John Wooden was the first player to be named basketball All-American three times, and the 1932 Purdue team on which he played as a senior was retroactively recognized as the pre-NCAA Tournament national champion by the Helms Athletic Foundation and the Premo-Porretta Power Poll.[5][6] Wooden was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame as a player (1960) and as a coach (1973), the first person ever enshrined in both categories.

Larry Bird wasn't too bad either in his short 3 year NBA coaching stint:

In 1997, Bird accepted the position of coach of the Indiana Pacers and said he would be on the job for no more than three years. Despite having no previous coaching experience, Bird led the Pacers to a 58–24 record—the franchise's best as an NBA team at the time—in the 1997–98 season,[97] and pushed the Chicago Bulls to seven games in the Eastern Conference Finals.[97] He was named the NBA Coach of the Year for his efforts.[98] Bird then led the Pacers to consecutive Central Division titles in 1999 and 2000 and a berth in the 2000 NBA Finals.[97] Bird resigned his head coaching position shortly after the end of the 2000 season, following through on his initial promise to coach for only three years.

After the 2011–2012 NBA season, Bird was named NBA Executive of the Year, becoming the only man in NBA history to win the NBA MVP, Coach of the Year and Executive of the Year.

Perhaps these are exceptions that prove the rule but it's not an inviolable rule. I'm sure there are other examples where this rule has been broken.

Comment

• Hiring the third assistant has the challenge of finding someone willing to take a shot with an incredibly late start and the possibility that a new coach would bring in his own staff.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

But bringing PJ on staff at some point is not really a bad idea at all.
            He needs to build a resume that includes some combination of successful H.S or club coaching, Juco, and lower conference experience ( not all three but a good combo of two of them). We did have Linsted who didn’t have two of those on his resume but he did recruit to Sunrise and had some contacts.

Comment

• It sounds like we already have someone in mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                It sounds like we already have someone in mind.
                One that checks a lot of boxes.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

One that checks a lot of boxes.
                  That’s what we’ve been told. If not Doc has “ splaining” to do.

Comment

• If it is someone who is along the same lines as Linda Hargrove when she filled in for the remainder of the season for the women’s team, I’ll be happy.

“Experienced former head coach who can be an asset to help IB navigate the season...”
                    78-65

Comment

• No announcement today??

Comment

No announcement today??
                        It is not Tuesday yet

Comment

Great players do not make great coaches
                          The best teachers were not top students because they don't generally understand how a mediocre or poor students mind has to work.
                          probably the same for great players not understanding how less athletic guys have to do things differently to be successful.
                          Now fred will be a great coach one day though. His greatness is bound to skills and work ethics, not athleticism.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Same here. If becoming a college coach is a goal of his then I would be ecstatic to see him fill the 3rd assistant role! Talk about re-uniting a fan base, has been building a solid resume and has done some networking. Would be a valuable hire, no doubt.

Can 76 email Boatright and make sure he is aware?!
                            If you are capable of writing an email - have at it dboatright@goshockers.com

I am not interested in PJC joining the Shocker coaching staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I'm assuming you want the guy 4 years behind me. I have even less pull with ADDB than 1976 or just about anyone else for that matter.
                              I am fairly certain you have more "pull" with ADDB than I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

If you are capable of writing an email - have at it dboatright@goshockers.com

I am not interested in PJC joining the Shocker coaching staff.
                                Good thing nobody GAF about your interests, T-dog.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X