No announcement yet.

Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all of you chastising those players for not coming out and talking publicly about what happened, I don’t happen to see you signing off on your rants with your real names. Let’s see you start putting your name with your comments, and let customers/friends/ acquaintances make their minds up about you. I’m betting we won’t see many real names on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post

It’s so bizarre how that dynamic worked. You would think the players from the later classes would have taken a mental note to steer clear from the crazy lady but she’s like that overly attached, psycho girlfriend with none of the perks. What incentive would there ever be to get entangled with this lady?
      My guess is player interaction with her probably increased in recent years. Kids these days seem to be over-medicated and under-disciplined. They’ll definitely get disciplined at Wichita State, but imagine that culture shock for an 18 year old freshman. Isn’t she a psychologist or therapist of some sort?
      Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Originally posted by DJShocker10 View Post
        This week an article was published about Wichita State Men’s Basketball’s head coach, Gregg Marshall. In it, there are allegations that Gregg punched a player, choked an assistant coach, and belittled a student-athlete in a parking lot. All of this comes on the heels of 6 players exiting the program in March.

I have been fortunate enough to get to spend a lot of time with Gregg and the team over the past few years and I would like to share some insight since many have been texting me and asking me what I think about all of this. Let’s break things down a bit:

(1) ALLEGATIONS vs. FACTS
        Were you there? No. Was I there? No. What do we bring to the conversation? Assumptions. Only assumptions. As the old saying goes, “When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.” The definition of allegation is, “A claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof.” I’ll be treating what has been said as what they are, claims without proof. I encourage you to do the same.

(2) PERSPECTIVE
        The article written is presented with one perspective. Do we hear from Wichita State? Do we hear from Gregg Marshall? Do we hear from players who love and support him? No. We are only hearing one perspective and since it is presented as an article, many have taken it as fact. Without perspective from Marshall, players, coaches, staff, administrators, and more we are getting an incomplete picture. Go on Twitter and see what his past players are saying, you will see an overwhelming outpouring of love and respect for a man they love. That is not in the article, and its absence speaks to the intention of the writer of the article.

(3) WHO STANDS TO BENEFIT?
        When claims like this are made, you must ask yourself, “Who benefits from this?” Who has something to gain? In March, 6 players left amid the weirdest ending to a season ever thanks to COVID-19. Many of these players thought they would be eligible to play the next season for another school because of the unprecedented circumstances. However, they are beholden to NCAA transfer rules like everyone else which means they must sit out one season. That is, unless, there is an extreme circumstance that could be claimed such as establishing a record of abuse. While Shaq has gone on the record, and been compensated for his statement (think about that), the article is full of anonymous sources and alleged, circumstantial allegations. The 6 players in the transfer protocol stand to benefit from a Gregg Marshall smear campaign in hopes the article sways the NCAA to allow them to play in the upcoming season. This is merely a theory...but again, think about who stands to benefit.

(4) CANCEL CULTURE
        As someone who has firsthand experience of false, cancel culture, circumstances like this remind me how much social media loves to watch something burn. Not familiar with cancel culture? When something is canceled, it is nulled, ended, voided. Done, over, no longer wanted, like a TV show, subscription, or public figure. This sense of cancel is the basic idea behind the slang meaning of “canceling a person.” When a person is canceled, they are no longer supported publicly. Usually, public figures are said to be canceled after it has been discovered that they have done something offensive. It involves calling out the bad behavior, boycotting their work, and trying to take away their public platform and power. This is often done in a performative way on social media. In Gregg Marshall’s instance, those canceling him are doing so based on allegations and the singular perspective referenced above. You are smarter than this. Don’t give in to cancel culture when you do not have the full story, you’re just pouring gas on something to watch it burn.

(5) MY DIRECT EXPERIENCE
        I have been to practices, watched film with the team, flown to games, been in the locker room, and have developed deep relationships with players and coaches over the years at Wichita State. Gregg Marshall is not physically abusive, he is not verbally abusive, he is not “out of control,” and he is not at all like this article paints him to be. Yes, he is verbally aggressive and has a voice that echoes off the walls of the practice gym. Yes, he is a hands-on coach who gets right in there with his guys to show them where they need to be on offense and defense. Yes, he is intense. No, he is not abusive. Let me say that again: Gregg Marshall is NOT abusive. I have witnessed Gregg demand 110% of a player in the gym and then wrap them in a hug after and invite them to his house for dinner to get some family time. I have seen Gregg Marshall support his players both on and off the court. His home is open to his players because “family” is what this team is built on. I have seen players look to him as a father figure and I have seen him treat them like they were his own sons. I have seen Gregg Marshall develop successful head coaches in his program through trust and respect - he delegates power phenomenally to empower his coaches and challenge them to be the best they can be. I have seen Coach Marshall win...and win the right way. I have seen him lose...and lose with grace. I have seen him sacrifice himself for his players, I have seen him give everything he has, and I have seen him create a winning program through the development of fine young men learning that winning is bigger than scores in a game.

I have also seen how much Gregg has done, and continues to do, for this community. He has become very involved with numerous programs and organizations to use his power of celebrity to bring healthcare, aid, and support to those in need as well as the disenfranchised. He’s the kind of person who would give you the shirt off his back if it would help you in some way. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. He always pauses to meet a fan, invites kids into the locker room after games, and genuinely cares about people. He is an authentically good human being.

As Coach developed Wichita State Shocker Basketball into the winning program it has become, things have changed in how success is achieved. One of those changes is the caliber of player. Gregg built this program by finding “hidden gem” players who wanted success more than anyone else and turned them into better players. Toure' Murry, JT Durley, Tekele Cotton… They were not top recruits when they came to WSU, but they developed into amazing players during their time with Gregg. Now, we find ourselves getting higher ranked recruits, which is great. But, it comes with a different mindset. A mindset of “I’m a star,” “I need more minutes,” and “I’m going to go to the NBA.” That player doesn’t always want to be told they need to work harder or that they won’t get the ball for the final shot. Gregg knows he needs to change the way he coaches for these higher-star players or find players more prone to being developed. I saw him actively working on this change to meet the challenge head-on and continue developing a winning program at Wichita State. Not all players will fit into this program, and that is okay.

Lastly, Gregg Marshall is an authentic person of integrity.

If you look at Gregg Marshall’s record (his record as a human being, not a coach) it speaks for itself. He’s a loving husband, phenomenal father, mentor to countless people, wonderful friend, and outstanding member of the community. If all you seek to find is negativity, that is all you will see. Take a real look at Gregg Marshall. Look at his reputation. Look at his family. Speak to people who truly know him. His character says it all.

Be smart. Wait for the facts. Judge a person by their reputation, character, and integrity... Not an article online.

I, for one, stand with Gregg Marshall.

-Shared on Facebook by JT Durley
        I think Ryan what’s his name wrote it.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by HarryJohnson

i use my real name. I don't give a rip, Mr Tyme.
          Legendary.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

I think Ryan what’s his name wrote it.
            Lance Harris just shared it as well.

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Except you don’t see me making any comments about anyone but those who seem to have all the answers.

Comment

Lance Harris just shared it as well.
                That is a name I have not heard in a long, long time.

Comment

My guess is player interaction with her probably increased in recent years. Kids these days seem to be over-medicated and under-disciplined. They’ll definitely get disciplined at Wichita State, but imagine that culture shock for an 18 year old freshman. Isn’t she a psychologist or therapist of some sort?
                  Oh man if she’s a psychologist or therapist lol...yikes. I could see her being like Kathy Bates in Misery. Maybe this is the reason Austin Reaves left. Austin, did she hold you captive?!?!? Blink once for yes!

Comment

• Cle and Patty Beamer are now getting into it a bit on Facebook. What a time to be alive.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Cle and Patty Beamer are now getting into it a bit on Facebook. What a time to be alive.
                      Link to this? The photo is blurry

Comment

Cle and Patty Beamer are now getting into it a bit on Facebook. What a time to be alive.
                        Thought this comment was interesting.
                        This is Cle talking
                        "did I want support for what? And if something like that happened why tell years later? I spoke to Shaq! It’s way more to the story! He isn’t siding with all the other accounts"

Sounds like even Shaq doesn't agree completely with what was published

Comment

You love to see it
                          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post

Link to this? The photo is blurry
                            I’m having issues getting the links to embed on SN. Patty Beamer does not have any privacy settings set up on Facebook, which is how I found this. Just search her name on Facebook. She made a post quoting a fan talking about cancel culture, and the comments are where the interactions between her and Cle occur.

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Originally posted by HarryJohnson

​​​​​​If we are doing random movie roles, I could definitely see Ron Baker being a lead in an Air Bud movie
                              Or even Dazed and Confused if he went back to the shaggy hair.

Comment

I’m having issues getting the links to embed on SN. Patty Beamer does not have any privacy settings set up on Facebook, which is how I found this. Just search her name on Facebook. She made a post quoting a fan talking about cancel culture, and the comments are where the interactions between her and Cle occur.
                                I found it .. and it's literally on going and getting juicy haha!

Comment

Working...
                                X