• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Ah, calling someone a coon...

Who’s getting personal now??
    Racist with Coon

Then "that's female behavior"

That's a REALLY not good look for him.

Comment

• Quick Hitters from OOB:

1. Like everything else in life, view it on a spectrum. If it was literally almost any starter except Shaq from the entire Marshall era, then fine. Send Gregg packing. But SM was lazy, fat, and by some accounts came to practice smelling of alcohol on some occasions. NBA ceiling but didn’t want to put in the work. And while I don’t think it’s probable, if there’s tape of the practice I could totally see the background/context of that “punch” being a situation where an unconditioned large athlete made a lazy defensive play and endangered a teammate and the team’s success because he refused to be in basic shape. If you played basketball at varsity high school level or above you know what I’m talking about.

2. Jeff *******... man... I hope you know what you got yourself into. You’ve bounced around a lot of places, and to an impartial guy like me you’ve always struck me as unlikable in the workplace. Not to mention your seeming tone deafness on how many coaches are sideyeing your story angle and thinking “okay so I never hit a player, but if you’re gonna contact every transfer out and ask them what the worst thing I ever said or did was...”

3. Jeff *******... man... for a second time but this is the important one... I hope you know what you’ve gotten yourself into. I’ve been in the corporate world for decades, and I’m a big “get in the pit with it” and “if it’s me or you... it’s not gonna be me” guy. Even more to the point, when it comes to guys I would “get in the pit” with, I’m comfortable with about 99 percent.

4. Gregg Marshall is in that other 1%. I don’t know him and I’ve only met him a couple times, but he just strikes me as a guy that would gladly spend 10% or 50% of $30 million he never thought he’d have in the first place to totally FUBAR some guy who tries to sabotage his livelihood, legacy, and wellbeing of his family (for decades).

5. I’m in my 40s and don’t consider myself either young or old. Politically I’m in the middle. But seriously... if this country is moving to the point where “body shaming” has traction for a high D1 program where every single starter expects to make a living playing professional basketball, then I need to start looking around for better cultural options. In fact, I would go so far as to say I would make “willingness to body shame overweight athletes” a bullet point in any coach’s job description. WTF. In fact, I really hope that this is what submarines Goodman’s angle and career - that every legitimate D1 coach and athlete in this country is just laughing and shaking their head. To me it’s no different than somebody who can’t type wanting to work in a Fortune 500 corporate environment - I don’t care how smart or capable you are, you will drag down the aggregate capability of your team if you don’t have a basic aptitude in a core foundational area.

6. I don’t think any of us could withstand being judged on our worst 5% of actions and words. Let alone 1% or less.

7. It’s reassuring to me that the criticism is heavily skewed towards players that didn’t succeed. It’s concerning to me that the players that did succeed are silent. I played for a couple coaches that would have been considered abusive a-holes, but I could easily truthfully say I appreciate them pushing me. That a lot of players won’t is telling and to me validates the day-to-day petty nature of the abuse.

8. I highly doubt that any of us know what it’s like to have expectations and compensation tied to it like GM. Tie that to a firm (correct) grasp of how to play the game the right way, and I can see a lot of frustration developing with younger players polluted by social media/highlights etc.

9. I hate to be dramatic, but it’s hard not to see this as an inflection point or singularity that will determine the entire future of Shocker basketball. Are we going to subscribe to the mainstream “coach needs to be buddies with his players” and relegate ourselves to the level where UT-Austin can’t even make the tournament with Shaka Smart, or do we hold fast and say that abuse isn’t tolerated but we want and expect a “bring your lunchpail and you’ll never outwork me” attitude on the court?

10. In watching this slow motion train wreck I find myself muttering “ETR ETR ETR ETR” like Nic Cage muttering “YellowThenRed YellowThenRed YellowThenRed” right before he parachuted out of the plane in Honeymoon In Vegas. WstateU help me out!

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Suprised it took you this long to join in on the fun.
        This situation isn't fun for me. Let you in on a secret ..., I have always pulled for WSU, even when going up against Kansas.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
            Another former player speaks up.

I'm riding with the guy's who have an opposite perception of what's been reported by *******. In this day and age of woke justice who is surprised that now GGG is a racist white supremacist too. 2 weeks before practice starts? Yeah, right.

I've been on record as early as last Winter calling out stevens for being a no-good hackin' punk that fired up the other team because he chased down somebody after he turned the ball over and decided the best thing to do was hack the breakaway player, and in the process fire up the other team. I'm sure others here remember that type of cheap-shot play from stevens. Rewind 3 years prior to that and WSU had a player who hacked another player in practice of all places. Does anyone doubt that Shaq would do something like that, keeping in mind the battles he's had with maturity and accountability and GGG. That last part was corroborated by Fred as well. Who are the main culprits of said accusations again?

These guy's all were a little -ahem- soft and incapable of handling manufactured adversity as a process of preparing them for the court battles to come, as well as life's battles. I genuinely wish them all success, but this is a classic case of some CANCEL CULTURE BS.
            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; October 10, 2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GottliebHater View Post

And Darral Willis
              Did Willis say something? It looks like someone tagged him from the above link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Racist with Coon

Then "that's female behavior"

That's a REALLY not good look for him.
                Ty gonna get a call from patty.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post

Did Willis say something? It looks like someone tagged him from the above link.
                  Just liked a tweet about Marshall being investigated. Note-worthy since he was a player on the teams from the years in question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post
                    Quick Hitters from OOB:

1. Like everything else in life, view it on a spectrum. If it was literally almost any starter except Shaq from the entire Marshall era, then fine. Send Gregg packing. But SM was lazy, fat, and by some accounts came to practice smelling of alcohol on some occasions. NBA ceiling but didn’t want to put in the work. And while I don’t think it’s probable, if there’s tape of the practice I could totally see the background/context of that “punch” being a situation where an unconditioned large athlete made a lazy defensive play and endangered a teammate and the team’s success because he refused to be in basic shape. If you played basketball at varsity high school level or above you know what I’m talking about.

2. Jeff *******... man... I hope you know what you got yourself into. You’ve bounced around a lot of places, and to an impartial guy like me you’ve always struck me as unlikable in the workplace. Not to mention your seeming tone deafness on how many coaches are sideyeing your story angle and thinking “okay so I never hit a player, but if you’re gonna contact every transfer out and ask them what the worst thing I ever said or did was...”

3. Jeff *******... man... for a second time but this is the important one... I hope you know what you’ve gotten yourself into. I’ve been in the corporate world for decades, and I’m a big “get in the pit with it” and “if it’s me or you... it’s not gonna be me” guy. Even more to the point, when it comes to guys I would “get in the pit” with, I’m comfortable with about 99 percent.

4. Gregg Marshall is in that other 1%. I don’t know him and I’ve only met him a couple times, but he just strikes me as a guy that would gladly spend 10% or 50% of $30 million he never thought he’d have in the first place to totally FUBAR some guy who tries to sabotage his livelihood, legacy, and wellbeing of his family (for decades).

5. I’m in my 40s and don’t consider myself either young or old. Politically I’m in the middle. But seriously... if this country is moving to the point where “body shaming” has traction for a high D1 program where every single starter expects to make a living playing professional basketball, then I need to start looking around for better cultural options. In fact, I would go so far as to say I would make “willingness to body shame overweight athletes” a bullet point in any coach’s job description. WTF. In fact, I really hope that this is what submarines Goodman’s angle and career - that every legitimate D1 coach and athlete in this country is just laughing and shaking their head. To me it’s no different than somebody who can’t type wanting to work in a Fortune 500 corporate environment - I don’t care how smart or capable you are, you will drag down the aggregate capability of your team if you don’t have a basic aptitude in a core foundational area.

6. I don’t think any of us could withstand being judged on our worst 5% of actions and words. Let alone 1% or less.

7. It’s reassuring to me that the criticism is heavily skewed towards players that didn’t succeed. It’s concerning to me that the players that did succeed are silent. I played for a couple coaches that would have been considered abusive a-holes, but I could easily truthfully say I appreciate them pushing me. That a lot of players won’t is telling and to me validates the day-to-day petty nature of the abuse.

8. I highly doubt that any of us know what it’s like to have expectations and compensation tied to it like GM. Tie that to a firm (correct) grasp of how to play the game the right way, and I can see a lot of frustration developing with younger players polluted by social media/highlights etc.

9. I hate to be dramatic, but it’s hard not to see this as an inflection point or singularity that will determine the entire future of Shocker basketball. Are we going to subscribe to the mainstream “coach needs to be buddies with his players” and relegate ourselves to the level where UT-Austin can’t even make the tournament with Shaka Smart, or do we hold fast and say that abuse isn’t tolerated but we want and expect a “bring your lunchpail and you’ll never outwork me” attitude on the court?

10. In watching this slow motion train wreck I find myself muttering “ETR ETR ETR ETR” like Nic Cage muttering “YellowThenRed YellowThenRed YellowThenRed” right before he parachuted out of the plane in Honeymoon In Vegas. WstateU help me out!
                    Oh and one other thing I forgot:

11. I listened to the Lutz interview of *******. I don’t have kids, but have coached many. Even worse than the body shaming is the “he ****ed my son up mentally and he’s been in the basement the last 3 years with no friends” angle. No, buddy, YOU ****ed up your son. First by the way you raised him, then by keeping him in a situation where he couldn’t succeed and didn’t extract him, and finally by not being able to help him see that the words of others can’t define who he is. If you send your son to the military when you haven’t prepared him for it, and then make him stay in when you see it is damaging him, and THEN don’t pull him out... you’re at fault. (Note - I am not and never have been military, I just think it’s a good demanding high-performing analogy).

Comment

• OK, I have heard enough.
                      When WSU went to the Final Four, I remember Mike Kennedy saying that when they went to different locales, they had local people to get them around, make sure they had what they needed, etc. Kennedy said that several of these people commented to him "what a fine bunch of young men you have representing your University."

This is not by accident. Like all young men, I remember being one, I could be sarcastic, flippant, arrogant and sometimes, ungrateful.
                      So for these kinds of comments to come from different people in different states as we went through the tournament says something.

It says Gregg Marshall takes an interest in his kids, he teaches them basketball, but he also teaches them how to be good young men.
                      And he did it without a hint of scandal or cheating.
                      Not like Bill Self, Rick Pitino, Sean Miller and others.
                      There are no tapes of him saying he had purchased a player for $100,000.

In fact, he did what he did mostly with overlooked players (Freddie comes to mind), or people who were less talented, but very determined (Baker and Wessel and Cotton come to mind).
                      I am not sure I have ever met anyone more determined than Freddie and Cotton and Wessel.

Marshall has been here for 15 years, and never a hint of him being anything but a first class, successful, stand up guy.

I've heard enough. Any of you who want to assume he is guilty, run him off, or are simply jeleous of his success and life can kiss my a**.

I stand behind him 100%.

I feel sorry for Shaq, loved him as a player and was proud of how he went from a fat high school kid to a major college, and then pro success.
                      It appears he has been paid for this story.
                      It appears ******* has a beef for Marshall.
                      It appears that ******* did not try very hard to find players who would support Marshall.

So now, I am asking the Van Vleets, Bakers, Wessels, Cottons, Echinique, and all the other players who Marshall poured so much into over the years to stand with him NOW.

He will not ask, he cannot ask, and he should not have to ask.

Time for these guys to come to his defense and state their opinion of things.

I believe it will be overwhelmingly favorable for Gregg Marshall.

I have started and run businesses and I know it is lonely at the top.
                      Most people resent you have more than them but are unwilling to work and sacrifice to get to where you got.
                      Most people are jeleous of your success, notieriety, friends, family, industry approval and admiration, but still want their paychecks on time and never put in the extra work
                      necessary to get to the top.

Screw them all. Screw Goodmand and whoever the hell this Dauster guy is.
                      They couldn't in a million years accomplish one percent of what Gregg Marshall has accomplished.

Teddy Roosevelt was right, he admired the man who got into the arena and got blood and sweat on him, not the critic standing safely outside the arena.

If WSU gets rid of Marshall, it will be a disaster, unnecessary, and they will lose a fan who goes back to Nate Bowman and Dave Stallworth and Warren Armstrong Jabali.
                      They will lose many other fans also.

This is a bunch of crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

Oh and one other thing I forgot:

11. I listened to the Lutz interview of *******. I don’t have kids, but have coached many. Even worse than the body shaming is the “he ****ed my son up mentally and he’s been in the basement the last 3 years with no friends” angle. No, buddy, YOU ****ed up your son. First by the way you raised him, then by keeping him in a situation where he couldn’t succeed and didn’t extract him, and finally by not being able to help him see that the words of others can’t define who he is. If you send your son to the military when you haven’t prepared him for it, and then make him stay in when you see it is damaging him, and THEN don’t pull him out... you’re at fault. (Note - I am not and never have been military, I just think it’s a good demanding high-performing analogy).
                        I have kids, and man...I pray you never are within a 100 feet of a child through the rest of your life. Just sad, honestly. Really glad to hear you don't have children. Probably for the best

Comment

I have kids, and man...I pray you never are within a 100 feet of a child through the rest of your life. Just sad, honestly. Really glad to hear you don't have children. Probably for the best
                          You have your style and other people have there’s.

As we have seen from some of Marshall’s players his style does wonders on some and poorly for others.
                          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

You have your style and other people have there’s.

As we have seen from some of Marshall’s players his style does wonders on some and poorly for others.
                            Very true. My style of parenting is not to physically or verbally abuse them, but I know that's unpopular with some people.

Comment

You alright, buddy? That was a little aggro.

Sorry to hear you do you have kids... or more specifically sorry for them. In my opinion there are few things worse than someone who is responsible for protecting and preparing that can’t do either.

Natural selection is a mofo.

Sorry if that hits a little close to home but at the end of the day your kids will benefit. If you have the humility, that is.

Comment

For perspective Have your kids reached adulthood? Could you explain what was said that has set you off?

Comment

Working...
                                X