Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Not necessarily. You could feel that the PR hit is too much. Not saying they didn’t find proof, just that there are other justifications that could exist and this could be a red herring.
    Heck, they could even let him go based on actions after the investigation. The following is from his contract - parts i and iv could basically happen at any time:

7.2.1. The term "good cause," by way of example and not by way of limitation, would include the following:

[i] Mr. Marshall's refusal to perform the duties required as Head Coach;

[ii] Mr. Marshall's knowing and deliberate failure to properly supervise his coaching staff and provide oversight of the basketball program;

[iii] conviction of a felony;

[iv] insubordination, as reasonably determined by the AD;

[v] as reasonably determined by the President of the University, in consultation with the AD, an act of dishonesty or discreditable conduct by Mr. Marshall that is inconsistent with the professional standards expected of a head coach of an intercollegiate sports team that results in material injury to the reputation of Wichita State University, the ICAA or the Program and/or conduct that offends public decency or morality as measured by the community standard prevailing in Wichita and the State of Kansas; or

[vi] any knowing and deliberate major violation or a pattern of secondary violations of rules and regulations of the NCAA, any knowing and deliberate violation of rules and regulations of the Conference or any knowing and deliberate violation of any applicable rule, policy or procedure of the ICAA or WSU;

No termination for alleged "good cause" shall occur without first giving Mr. Marshall notice in writing of the "good cause" actions alleged and an opportunity to be heard.
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• "As Marshall approached his spot that day, he did not get there fast enough to block the the notice of termination. Instead, Marshall quickly turned his car around and followed the notice, eventually blocking his car at an intersection in the parking lot. According to an eyewitness, Marshall got out of his car and started yelling at the notice, asking 'Do you know who the f--k I am?'

"The notice had his window down and responded, 'No, who are you?' Marshall approached the car and, according to the eyewitness, attempted to punch the notice through the driver's window, yelling 'I'm Gregg ****ing Marshall!'

"The notice then said, 'Good. Now you've been served.'"
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Not going to comment on the firing, whether it was good or bad. There are a lot of perspectives and sides to it.

I just want to say that if the program is able to pay the next coach what Coach Marshall was making, we should be able to get a good quality coach who will keep the program operating at a high level. Thank you to Coach Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
          "As Marshall approached his spot that day, he did not get there fast enough to block the the notice of termination. Instead, Marshall quickly turned his car around and followed the notice, eventually blocking his car at an intersection in the parking lot. According to an eyewitness, Marshall got out of his car and started yelling at the notice, asking 'Do you know who the f--k I am?'

"The notice had his window down and responded, 'No, who are you?' Marshall approached the car and, according to the eyewitness, attempted to punch the notice through the driver's window, yelling 'I'm Gregg ****ing Marshall!'

"The notice then said, 'Good. Now you've been served.'"
          You spend too much time on Reddit. This is half baked.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
            Not going to comment on the firing, whether it was good or bad. There are a lot of perspectives and sides to it.

I just want to say that if the program is able to pay the next coach what Coach Marshall was making, we should be able to get a good quality coach who will keep the program operating at a high level. Thank you to Coach Marshall.
            Nobody is walking in the door getting $3.5million unless it's the ghost of John Wooden.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• I just don't see any reason to jump in and start someone at $3.5 million. 3G earned his way to that salary and I think the next guy has the ability to do the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Your problem is that you don't understand that losing takes an incredible amount of incompetence to do at WSU. I'm not going to say winning is easy at WSU, because it's not. And winning at the level that GM did is definitely above average. But it's not a coincidence that the only real losing you have was 3 coaches in the 90s who, looking back had neither the talent, tools or ability to succeed. Those barriers are gone for the most part. So long as we don't hire a dumbass (and all the talk I have heard, I don't think that will be the case) WSU will win.
                You are a fool but that will be revealed soon enough. I don’t care whether you understand why.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  People like to bag on Turg, but he was the guy that turned this program around when we were bottom dwellers in the MVC. At the time, a Sweet 16 was unimaginable. Our facilities were dog poo until the renovations, so he recruited the Jamar Howard/Randy Burns group with nothing. It was this success that attracted Marshall to our school, just as Marshall's success can parlay into another nice run with the right guy. We don't know if he was a once in a lifetime hire until we see how this plays out. Maybe 3G hit his plateau and this could be a blessing in disguise. Just trying to keep some optimism around here.
                  Agree. Turg after all led to Marshall; Marshall can just as likely lead to another great coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                    You spend too much time on Reddit. This is half baked.
                    It's funny.

You know what else is funny? You.
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

You are a fool but that will be revealed soon enough. I don’t care whether you understand why.
                      Go guard Marshall's parking spot. I'll go one better. I thought Marshall did a pretty mediocre job the past 3 years, so what's going to change?
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Go guard Marshall's parking spot. I'll go one better. I thought Marshall did a pretty mediocre job the past 3 years, so what's going to change?
                        with a top ten salary, some expect a top ten finish

Comment

Strongly disagree.

When Gregg Marshall took all those Frosh to the NIT Final Four, I’d say that was one of the best coaching jobs I’ve seen in the last 10 years.

Comment

• Dear 8 lb. 6 oz. baby Jesus, could our next head coach please be willing to call timeouts when the other team goes on 10-0 runs? -Ricky Bobby

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

It's funny.

You know what else is funny? You.
                              Thanks
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• College of Charleston coach Earl Grant, a longtime Marshall assistant, was asked about his former coach during the CAA’s media days press conference on Wednesday.

“He gave me a great opportunity, was a great husband and father in terms of the example he showed me,” he said. “In terms of being a young assistant he was very ethical and wasn’t going to cheat, he was going to do the things the right way ethically.”

Comment

Working...
                                X