No announcement yet.

Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once all the money guys come out in support of Marshall, it's overwhelming that he stays. Then there's the comment from what appears to be a credible poster that this was known by the athletic department at the time it happened. That pretty much eliminates termination for due cause, and the money guys aren't going to pony up the bucks for a buyout of a guy they support.

The money guys all coming out in support of Marshall makes it a lot harder to use the allegations to renegotiate his contract.

The best thing the AD could do is to say that he was aware of this situation when it happened. It was addressed at that time, and there have been no problems since that situation was handled internally.

The problem with that approach is that Marshall made the absolutely asinine statement that he never laid a hand on a player. Damn, dude, when you're under investigation, you don't go public with anything before the investigation is done. Even if Marshall never laid a hand on Shaq, it seems like 5 guys say he did. Marshall may have damaged the ability to use the old "we handled it internally" thing, which is probably what happened.

Marshall's "I never did it" may give Boatright the ammo he needs to renegotiate Marshall's contract. Going with "we took care of it. It's been handled. It hasn't happened since. Yeah, he's still a tough coach" would minimize damage to recruiting. If Marshall resists that approach by insisting it never happend, and if there's confirmation from the investigation that it did happen, then we're screwed.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• A bit of information on Ty Taylor, none of which is meant to be negative, simply information.

Wichita Eagle: “No hard feelings on either side,” he said. “I’m leaving on good terms.” “I’d like to thank this outstanding program for contributing to my growth and development,” he said on his Twitter account. “I will forever be grateful for my experience spent as a Shocker.”

After setting out for a year, he went to UNC Wilmington where he was a regular his sophomore year, playing almost 30 mpg and 13.6 ppg. In his junior year, he still played in 33 games, but minutes dropped to 14.4 and 5 ppg. He transferred as a 5th year senior to Eastern Kentucky, played 30.7 mpg and 12.3 ppg.

Comment

• I've been watching Last Dance on Netflix. On one of the episodes - Several of the Bull's players - in a classy way - were saying what an a-hole MJ was. Scott Burrell was one of Michael's targets because he was a nice guy. Jordan rode him like a rented mule - just to toughen him up. And is wasn't just talking ****. He was pushing him -elbowing - shoving - and that's just what they showed - who knows what really happens in those practices. It was definitely physical. He was trying to bring the rest of the team up to his level because that's what it takes to win - especially if you don't have the God given talent that MJ has.

While watching that - I couldn't help but think of our program and HCGM. He's a tough SOB and want's his team to be. We don't have MJ on the team - Our 3 and 4 stars play up because they are pushed to the limit.

I don't see a lot of coaches jumping on HCGM because most of them are alpha dogs and are tough on their players.

As far as some of the talk - it's locker room stuff. If you've never been around a locker room or military - you probably don't understand. Let's just say they aren't in Church.

I'm glad to see the big $$$ guns backing 3G. This is a hit piece plain and simple. It can happen to any coach in the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post
          I've been watching Last Dance on Netflix. On one of the episodes - Several of the Bull's players - in a classy way - were saying what an a-hole MJ was. Scott Burrell was one of Michael's targets because he was a nice guy. Jordan rode him like a rented mule - just to toughen him up. And is wasn't just talking ****. He was pushing him -elbowing - shoving - and that's just what they showed - who knows what really happens in those practices. It was definitely physical. He was trying to bring the rest of the team up to his level because that's what it takes to win - especially if you don't have the God given talent that MJ has.

While watching that - I couldn't help but think of our program and HCGM. He's a tough SOB and want's his team to be. We don't have MJ on the team - Our 3 and 4 stars play up because they are pushed to the limit.

I don't see a lot of coaches jumping on HCGM because most of them are alpha dogs and are tough on their players.

As far as some of the talk - it's locker room stuff. If you've never been around a locker room or military - you probably don't understand. Let's just say they aren't in Church.

I'm glad to see the big $$$ guns backing 3G. This is a hit piece plain and simple. It can happen to any coach in the country.
          Definitely a hit piece. Have the investigator's made it back to GGG's time at Randooph Macon yet? How about when he was in high school; didn't he have a bit of a reputation as a rough-neck even then?

Survival of the fittest. Seems like some know that and some don't (internally). MJ worked harder than anybody, and that's well documented. How would some of these lazy prima donna's do on the gridiron? I wouldn't compare a one of 'em to Evan.

Comment

• I might add that players like Fred and Ron weren't recruited by the "big guys". Coaches like bs were ask why (after we kicked their ass) they didn't go after Baker and VanVleet out of high school. That's because they weren't the same players a couple of years later when WSU burst on the scene.

It's obvious to me that 3g raises his players level of play to the ones that buy in to his program - and he is very good at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
              This is what Morris told ******* in his original story about why now (toward the bottom of the story):

Morris played professionally in Japan last season, and said he “does not love basketball any more because of Gregg Marshall.” Morris chose to go public at this time after hearing stories about Marshall from a current player.

“He (Marshall) is still that guy to me, and that was confirmation,” Morris said. “If we can stop it so it never happens to any other player here at Wichita State University again, that’s my cue to go on the record. … With the insight I have from the current players, they want a change and I want that change for them, for their future and for their well-being. I feel like it should be done now.”

“I’m also doing this for the people in Wichita who want the truth as well,” he added. “I hope that people will support my truth and I know there will be people who don’t.”

For those wondering "why now" for Shaq, consider taking a second look at this. When someone is a victim of abuse, verbal or physical, the victim will often blame themselves, especially when the abuser is in a position of power. Maybe Shaq told himself he deserved to be punched, or that since Gregg didn't hit any other player, that it was only his fault.

Fast forward to now, and he hears these stories of Marshall's actions after he leaves. It's a realization that Gregg's actions weren't only a reflection of him, but rather the kind of coach he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence Shocker View Post

For those wondering "why now" for Shaq, consider taking a second look at this. When someone is a victim of abuse, verbal or physical, the victim will often blame themselves, especially when the abuser is in a position of power. Maybe Shaq told himself he deserved to be punched, or that since Gregg didn't hit any other player, that it was only his fault.

Fast forward to now, and he hears these stories of Marshall's actions after he leaves. It's a realization that Gregg's actions weren't only a reflection of him, but rather the kind of coach he is.
                Not sure I can look at SM as a victim of abuse.

Comment

That may be how Shaq looks at it. I’m not sure he was punched. I remember how lazy Shaq was. I remember how many practices and even workouts with Fred, he missed. I remember how frustrating it was seeing Shaq not applying his natural talents and Shaq, deep down may have had the insight to realize that too. His mother sure did. My perspective is that Shaq hasn’t grown up yet, and Stevenson manipulated him too. If last years team had continued to win, everything would have been fine. But, often adversity happens, and our young team took to negative leadership from Eric S. Instead of looking to the positive guys like Trey and Tyson.

Comment

If it happened, and he had a problem with it, he could have reported it or squared off. He did neither. Instead he waited all that time and most recently sitting around doing apparently nothing, allegedly putting on weight, and blaming Marshall for his lack of self motivation after college, I feel for the guy but I’m not going to make excuses for him. He needs to live his life and make himself the best version he can. School is over.
                    Last edited by Veritas; October 26, 2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Are there still people who question that all this sh!t happened? Really?

Comment

So the fact that Shaq was apparently lazy, as has been well doucmented, but GGG nonetheless saw some good in him and decided he could be a major contributor to the team's success, which turned around to bite him in the ass is not an angle of the story, eh? And character is not an issue synonymous with the lazy child eh?

How many practices did Shaq (along with Frankamp) miss with hangovers? Were they roommates? Does anyone on this board know?
                        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; October 26, 2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

So the fact that Shaq was apparently lazy, as has been well doucmented, but GGG nonetheless saw some good in him and decided he could be a major contributor to the team's success, which turned around to bite him in the ass is not an angle of the story, eh? And character is not an issue synonymous with the lazy child eh?

How many practices did Shaq (along with Frankamp) miss with hangovers? Were they roommates? Does anyone on this board know?
                          “I didn’t know migraines were contagious”
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

If it happened, and he had a problem with it, he could have reported it or squared off.
                            Well since this happened in front of the team and other coaches as reported, then it didn't need to be reported because it was "known fact", and it looks like that was the accepted environment. I think that would be characterized as a "hostile workplace".

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              Are there still people who question that all this sh!t happened? Really?
                              I think for most, it's not a matter of whether something happened, or condoning or not condoning what happened, but the context in which it happened, the severity (or lack there of), and the timing. It appears that SM's mother knew her son's weaknesses, to the point that they would likely get in the way of what his strengths could become and a positive future. There was a big jump through the 5 years he was under HCGM, not just in stats and skill, but HOW he played. Since that time, it would appear he has regressed as time has gone on. Shaq says GM has now ruined his pleasure in playing basketball. I'm not sure Shaq ever loved basketball unless he could simply be the biggest, strongest person on the court, then it was fun and not work.

I wonder if HCGM's "punch" was more or less severe than SM's cheap and hard foul on his teammate? I wonder if that "punch" was a product of years of frustration with Shaq and the severity of that foul to a hard working teammate? Why make the kind public statements Shaq made to the press over his last two years at WSU? One can be positive/neutral without going overboard. "I trust him and I hope he trusts me?" How'd that work out? Did he stretch the truth then or is he stretching the truth now? Not saying he was lying.

Comment

• Some of you guys beating your chests about how tough you are and how soft and wimpy kids are is really getting tiresome. It's not just this thread, it's others. It's the generational debate in general. It's most boomers taking every opportunity to remind us of how awesome they think they are and how awful they think kids are. In my life I've found anyone who goes to such lengths to boast about how tough and strong they are is actually a little wimp inside crying for attention.

It makes me wish some of you would meet someone younger than you in a dark alley and get your ass absolutely handed to you. Just destroyed. It won't cause you to shut up, but it would make the rest of us smile.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X