Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

I'm sure it has already been asked....but if the allegations wind up being true...how on God's green earth would Wichita St. be obligated to fulfill that buy-out?
    Look what happened with KU's most recent fired football coach.. KU fired him with cause after he got rang up on violations along with Self. His lawyers though found a bunch of wrong doings on KU's regarding the termination and it turned into a year long media shaming session on KU and they ended up having to pay him his $2 million or whatever after they fired him with cause. It just isn't that simple to fire someone with cause when millions of dollars are involved. You have to make sure to cross all your T's and dot all your I's

Comment

• a 15 million buyout coupled with the Coach's 500,000 walk-away payment is ****ing insane

Comment

• He's not going anywhere.

Comment

• If we fired 3G we will see his full wrath. He will bring down the athletic department and anyone associated with the “cover up”. It would have to be a negotiated settlement before any public firing took place to avoid this scenario.

Comment

• He’s an ass but he’s our ass. Just embrace it. Time to play ball.
            When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              If we fired 3G we will see his full wrath. He will bring down the athletic department and anyone associated with the “cover up”. It would have to be a negotiated settlement before any public firing took place to avoid this scenario.
              A negotiated settlement is what they could be working on right now. I just get the feeling that if he was absolutely keeping his job we would of heard something from people he is close to by now. The silence from his inner circle is the most deafening part of all this, especially the more it drags out

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                The silence from his inner circle is the most deafening part of all this, especially the more it drags out
                I just don't see Mr. Koch making a public statement about this situation.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

A negotiated settlement is what they could be working on right now. I just get the feeling that if he was absolutely keeping his job we would of heard something from people he is close to by now. The silence from his inner circle is the most deafening part of all this, especially the more it drags out
                  You may very well be correct, but if that were the current direction I would expect him to be on paid leave until the announcement. Would only make sense to begin transitioning to an interim coach as soon as possible if that were inevitable.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Which means Radioface lied on KFH a few weeks ago saying it wasn’t “personal”. This proves that it is and he’s a hypocrite.

His word isn’t worth a two dollar hooker.
                    I don't want to dwell on ******* anymore, because he's not worth it, so here's one final example of him being a hypocrite. Some other sportswriter, that I actually have never heard of, but seems to be a good buddy of *******'s, has started a podcasting venture and ******* appears to be his business partner in the venture. The two of them have decided there aren't yet enough podcasts out there in the world, especially ones featuring former college basketball players, so they've come up with this grand idea to start a bunch of podcasts with former college players and them pimp them like crazy (I wanted to stay with the two dollar hooker theme). Translation - ******* and his buddy are probably hoping they can build something and then cash out to a big company ala Bleacher Report and Barstool Sports.

Where the hypocrisy comes into play is one of their podcasts is geared toward Indiana fans. And who do they pick to host the podcast? None other than A.J. Guyton, Neil Reed's ex-teammate who defended Knight in the whole choking of Reed situation. When ******* talks about all the players he talked to regarding Marshall, you can hear disdain in his voice for the ones he says supports Marshall, plus he basically has implied that the opinion of players who had graduated prior to 2015 and came out in support of Marshall weren't important. If he was investigating Knight back in the day, I bet Guyton would have received that sort of disdain as well. But he and his buddy go ahead and hire that type of guy for their Indiana podcast gig.

Then in another act of hypocrisy, ******* pimps a short segment where Guyton and Alford talk about how Knight kicked Alford off the bus at the airport and told him to find his way back to campus in freezing weather. ******* calls it a phenomenal story in this tweet - https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...33744254865410 - but it's worth to check out the comments part of the tweet because someone says Knight was a bully and someone else says isn't Marshall kind of being compared to Knight. Instead of responding, ******* put out a couple other tweets pimping the interview and podcast, calling it full of awesome stories. It all makes his claim there's no grudge with Marshall pretty hard to believe given how an ex-player of Knight has awesome stories to tell.

Finally, I'm no fan of the the Guardian web site, but I cam across this article when googling about Guyton and Reed - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...michigan-state - and it's a rather interesting read even if you're no fan of the Guardian site. It talks about the effect Knight had on players, and the article stems from when Izzo had his little outburst on camera with a player last March. I hope someone like ******* reads it because Knight had issues as a coach, and it may also give people dealing with the WSU situation some perspective as well.
                    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

If the investigation is over, I could see things taking awhile to come to an end because even more legal happenings will occur. Lawyers will go over things and a lot of 'what if's' will be played out. I just hope things play out for the best. Not what's popular with public opinion, or sportswriters, or what could or couldn't happen. But what's the best for all moving forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

You may very well be correct, but if that were the current direction I would expect him to be on paid leave until the announcement. Would only make sense to begin transitioning to an interim coach as soon as possible if that were inevitable.
                        I guess winning makes all the difference in Kansas. Look at the Bill Self situation. David Beaty got blasted out of Lawrence the minute his violations came to light. Self got 5 level 1 violations, no suspension, no paid leave, dude is still going to work everyday as if nothing, absolutely nothing is going on. He damn well knew though that as soon as he got pinned with 5 level 1 violations that he could of gotten suspended or fired. Which is why KU basketball was looking like the Harlem Globe Trotters before covid canceled the season

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          He will bring down the athletic department and anyone associated with the “cover up”.
                          There may be no "cover up". Hypothetically It is possible that the AD reported it to the president. The president decided to handle it privately and told Marshall - zero tolerance going forward (since this seems to be a single event). Unfortunately the said President has passed away.

Comment

At the time of HCGM’s firm denial, I was convinced we were headed to a settled buy-out. I can’t imagine a situation where HCGM stays while maintaining 100% innocence without all hell breaking loose.

I suppose there is a scenario for everyone to move on politely without a public acknowledgment of crossing a line or two, but that seems like a low probability outcome… the above applies whether HCGM is actually guilty of the accusations.

The longer this drags out - the less sure I am about the settlement, but I know settlements over much smaller piles of $$& can be painfully slow to work through.

so who knows?

Comment

• Marshall is here for the rest of his coaching days. The donors back him and there's no way the athletic department can come up with the funds to fire him. Even with due cause, a costly legal battle would likely result in Marshall getting a significant payoff.

If the allegations were known when they occurred, invoking a due cause claim now would be laughable. This will pretty much end the annual "where is Marshall going" stories. He's pretty much done as a hire anywhere.

Marshall has a new hurdle to overcome in recruiting, where any problem, no matter how small, can affect the ability to recruit quality talent. Losing 6 transfers in a single year is going to be repeated in media for years. A former player accusing Marshall of punching him will not just die down and be ignored.

Some players will relish that type of environment and be glad that their coach is intense. Those players will continue to come to WSU. Other players will choose other schools for those same reasons.

It seems there will be an effect on recruiting. It seems the effect will limit Marshall's ability to recruit some players he wants. The hit on WSU's PR will be HUGE. WSU was the darling of a lot of national fans. That's over if Marshall is retained.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Based on the open records log - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view-request-log/ - looks like last week on October 22, both the Eagle and KAKE put in for Exit Interviews from the 2015-16 players and the Eagle also asked for interviews from the 2019-20 year. I checked the log earlier today and they weren't there, so looks like there could be a lag between the request date and logged date. But both requests were denied and it doesn't look like either has done a story on the investigation since then.

Comment

Working...
                                X