Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Marshall is here for the rest of his coaching days. The donors back him and there's no way the athletic department can come up with the funds to fire him. Even with due cause, a costly legal battle would likely result in Marshall getting a significant payoff.

If the allegations were known when they occurred, invoking a due cause claim now would be laughable. This will pretty much end the annual "where is Marshall going" stories. He's pretty much done as a hire anywhere.

Marshall has a new hurdle to overcome in recruiting, where any problem, no matter how small, can affect the ability to recruit quality talent. Losing 6 transfers in a single year is going to be repeated in media for years. A former player accusing Marshall of punching him will not just die down and be ignored.

Some players will relish that type of environment and be glad that their coach is intense. Those players will continue to come to WSU. Other players will choose other schools for those same reasons.

It seems there will be an effect on recruiting. It seems the effect will limit Marshall's ability to recruit some players he wants. The hit on WSU's PR will be HUGE. WSU was the darling of a lot of national fans. That's over if Marshall is retained.
    How do you know what the effect on recruiting or our national fans is going to be? I’ll bet on Gregg.

Comment

• Originally posted by KSUUWSU View Post
      He’s an ass but he’s our ass. Just embrace it. Time to play ball.
      Correct

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Marshall is here for the rest of his coaching days. The donors back him and there's no way the athletic department can come up with the funds to fire him. Even with due cause, a costly legal battle would likely result in Marshall getting a significant payoff.

If the allegations were known when they occurred, invoking a due cause claim now would be laughable. This will pretty much end the annual "where is Marshall going" stories. He's pretty much done as a hire anywhere.

Marshall has a new hurdle to overcome in recruiting, where any problem, no matter how small, can affect the ability to recruit quality talent. Losing 6 transfers in a single year is going to be repeated in media for years. A former player accusing Marshall of punching him will not just die down and be ignored.

Some players will relish that type of environment and be glad that their coach is intense. Those players will continue to come to WSU. Other players will choose other schools for those same reasons.

It seems there will be an effect on recruiting. It seems the effect will limit Marshall's ability to recruit some players he wants. The hit on WSU's PR will be HUGE. WSU was the darling of a lot of national fans. That's over if Marshall is retained.
        I think your assessment is accurate. Regardless of what is right, after the stuff with Golden, there is no way the current admin upsets the donors. And with Marshall’s “you’re either with me or against me” attitude, I don’t expect anything in the negotiated middle, like a reduced contract, counseling, or even apologizing.

The other effect that I would watch for is public response. You could see significant pushback from faculty and students, and potentially some other fans. Not sure to what extent, or what effect that would have overall. Frankly it is a good year to be playing in front of fewer crowds.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post

I think your assessment is accurate. Regardless of what is right, after the stuff with Golden, there is no way the current admin upsets the donors. And with Marshall’s “you’re either with me or against me” attitude, I don’t expect anything in the negotiated middle, like a reduced contract, counseling, or even apologizing.

The other effect that I would watch for is public response. You could see significant pushback from faculty and students, and potentially some other fans. Not sure to what extent, or what effect that would have overall. Frankly it is a good year to be playing in front of fewer crowds.
          I think your last line is perfect!

Comment

• I just wonder how far Shaq will want to take this complaint. If nothing happens, I imagine he has representation to take it to another level.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post

We really couldn't have asked for a better season to "ride out the bad press" if that's what WSU chooses to do. Between an extremely charged political season plus COVID that will be wrecking the season and scheduling, the number of competing stories will be crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I just wonder how far Shaq will want to take this complaint. If nothing happens, I imagine he has representation to take it to another level.
                And i'm sure his representation is likely challenging him that it's going to be really hard to prove it to the extent needed in the court of law this far after the fact.

Comment

• What DOES Shaq have to gain by going on with this? Money?

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                    What DOES Shaq have to gain by going on with this? Money?
                    he’s already said he wants to do this for future players. I think he wants 3G gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by YouKnowMyName

He wants his head on a platter. Think pig head on your Thanksgiving table with an apple in his mouth.
                      I don't know your name

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                        What DOES Shaq have to gain by going on with this? Money?
                        That's what my guess would be too but has it ever been confirmed that Shaq and other players are receiving financial incentive for all of this? Even if it's denied by ******* and Shaq, I still think it's a pretty good possibility that there is but was curious if it has been confirmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

I don't know your name
                          Harry?
                          Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Mr. Johnson, welcome back!

Comment

• Originally posted by YouKnowMyName

He wants his head on a platter. Think pig head on your Thanksgiving table with an apple in his mouth.
                              Not to get political, but...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

There may be no "cover up". Hypothetically It is possible that the AD reported it to the president. The president decided to handle it privately and told Marshall - zero tolerance going forward (since this seems to be a single event). Unfortunately the said President has passed away.
                                Plausible or not?

Comment

Working...
                                X