Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
    People who think we can just reload new Coaches live in la la land. Buzzard followers just want us to go down.
    You may be right on this, but I think only to an extent. If Marshall doesn’t remain as head coach, the program would be out of its mind if they didn’t go after someone from the Marshall coaching tree. Call it bad optics, but it’s obvious that HCGM had some great assistants over the years. If the university can’t get over the bad optics, the Wichita State coaching job is more attractive now than it has ever been. Maybe the real question is “What’s our confidence level in the powers that be to make the right hireif needed?”
    Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• If we can Marshall, our program takes a step backwards for a decade.
      I'll bet right now we sink to the bottom of the AAC for five years and hopefully, slowly work our way back up.

I think it is ludicrous to fire a coach over allegations that are five or six years old.
      I don't think they will because the major investors are backing Marshall.

Good luck finding someone who will pay a new coach a couple of million a year without the backing of major donors.
      Good luck when our players have to go back to flying commercial instead of chartered.
      Good luck when the coach has to lly commercial to recruit.

Marshall changed all of these things by winning.
      Successful, rich people want to be around winners like themselves.
      They will not provide the same level of support for a non-winner or a winner at a lower level.
      Marshall has brought us to national prominence, nothing short of that will be supported in the same manner as he currently enjoys.

Shaq was a fun guy while he was here and everybody rooted for him.
      But now that he is gone, he will not be welcome back after shivving Marshall.
      There was a right way to bring this up and a wrong way, and Shaq chose the absolute wrong way.

All of these sportswriters, who want to preen and virtue signal, who want to be politically correct and "call out" a coach that has far exceeded what
      any of those douchbags could hav EVER accomplished can kiss my a**.

Marshall isn't going anywhere unless you want to kiss off any future support from the power players.
      Like it or not, without their resources, WSU will NOT be the same job as it is now.

The current players seem ready to go
      That is all that matters.

Sanction Marshall, cut his pay a little for a few years, suspend him for a couple of games, and get a mea culpa from him and MOVE ONWARD AND UPWARD.

This is what will happen.

Comment

• From the sounds of it, we should just plan on shutting the program down when 3G retires. He's apparently the only coach that can have success here.

The program will be perfectly fine without 3G whenever he leaves. Whether that's this year or when he retires. The program is much much bigger than the coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
          If we can Marshall, our program takes a step backwards for a decade.
          I'll bet right now we sink to the bottom of the AAC for five years and hopefully, slowly work our way back up.

I think it is ludicrous to fire a coach over allegations that are five or six years old.

Good luck finding someone who will pay a new coach a couple of million a year without the backing of major donors.
          Good luck when our players have to go back to flying commercial instead of chartered.

They will not provide the same level of support for a non-winner or a winner at a lower level.
          Marshall has brought us to national prominence, nothing short of that will be supported in the same manner as he currently enjoys.

There was a right way to bring this up and a wrong way, and Shaq chose the absolute wrong way.

All of these sportswriters, who want to preen and virtue signal, who want to be politically correct and "call out" a coach that has far exceeded what

Marshall isn't going anywhere unless you want to kiss off any future support from the power players.
          Like it or not, without their resources, WSU will NOT be the same job as it is now.

Sanction Marshall, cut his pay a little for a few years, suspend him for a couple of games, and get a mea culpa from him and MOVE ONWARD AND UPWARD.

So I underlined every phrase where I either disagree with you or where you don't bring facts.

I have said a number of times I'm going to wait until the report is rendered, but my feeling is that this is a great job and we can find a good coach if it comes to that. i don't think this is anything to get depressed about. What is true, though, is there will be a lot of pressure on Boatwright to get this right, if it comes down to finding a new coach.

As for the sportswriters, I'm not sure they researched their article sufficiently, but if they did, what would you say? Bobby Knight got called out. Woody Hayes was one of the first to ever get called out. They both got fired and both were legendary coaches, so it is possible this could have happened and it is also possible Marshall could lose his job. I'm just skeptical about what has been reported. Most of the time, things are not black and white, but rather shades of grey. That's why I'm waiting for the report. I suspect we have heard one side of the story played out in the press, it's really ugly, but there may be another side to this story as well that is being ignored because it doesn't lead to click bait.

IF most of what we've read is true, at the very least, there should be a requirement to attend anger management classes and work with a therapist. It should be written into his contract and he should be fired for non-compliance. I believe in the opportunity for atonement unless the side we've heard so far is an actual rendering of the facts. In that case, he should probably go.

But there's no reason to worry, unless you do not believe in either the University or the basketball program.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

So I underlined every phrase where I either disagree with you or where you don't bring facts.

I have said a number of times I'm going to wait until the report is rendered, but my feeling is that this is a great job and we can find a good coach if it comes to that. i don't think this is anything to get depressed about. What is true, though, is there will be a lot of pressure on Boatwright to get this right, if it comes down to finding a new coach.

As for the sportswriters, I'm not sure they researched their article sufficiently, but if they did, what would you say? Bobby Knight got called out. Woody Hayes was one of the first to ever get called out. They both got fired and both were legendary coaches, so it is possible this could have happened and it is also possible Marshall could lose his job. I'm just skeptical about what has been reported. Most of the time, things are not black and white, but rather shades of grey. That's why I'm waiting for the report. I suspect we have heard one side of the story played out in the press, it's really ugly, but there may be another side to this story as well that is being ignored because it doesn't lead to click bait.

IF most of what we've read is true, at the very least, there should be a requirement to attend anger management classes and work with a therapist. It should be written into his contract and he should be fired for non-compliance. I believe in the opportunity for atonement unless the side we've heard so far is an actual rendering of the facts. In that case, he should probably go.

But there's no reason to worry, unless you do not believe in either the University or the basketball program.
            Fortunately you aren't making the decisions.

I see many people debating what kind of program we have and if and when we have to hire the next coach (no matter the time or reason) what quality of coach we can attract.

There aren't 20 coaches out there with Gregg's skill, drive and success, if 20. Might we get one of those? We might. I might live to be 100. But I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Might and will are 2 entirely different things. Also you have to fully comprehend the financial difficulty we're in right now. We're not alone for sure, but there's a reality that not every fan fully understands.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Fortunately you aren't making the decisions.

I see many people debating what kind of program we have and if and when we have to hire the next coach (no matter the time or reason) what quality of coach we can attract.

There aren't 20 coaches out there with Gregg's skill, drive and success, if 20. Might we get one of those? We might. I might live to be 100. But I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Might and will are 2 entirely different things. Also you have to fully comprehend the financial difficulty we're in right now. We're not alone for sure, but there's a reality that not every fan fully understands.
              The big time college athletics system is collapsing under its own weight. Covid is an added pressure and stressing the leaky gaskets, but the model has been failing for a while now. Whether HCGM stays another week or another decade, we're never going to pay another coach this kind of money.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

The big time college athletics system is collapsing under its own weight. Covid is an added pressure and stressing the leaky gaskets, but the model has been failing for a while now. Whether HCGM stays another week or another decade, we're never going to pay another coach this kind of money.
                Overall, I agree, but through my short stay on this planet have learned to “never say never”.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Overall, I agree, but through my short stay on this planet have learned to “never say never”.
                  I never say that

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

I never say that
                    Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Two observations on why there is no good ending:

1) Former student athletes are in effect being disowned.

2) The most loyal segment of the fanbase (yes that is what is represented on here - for the most part you won't find casual fans on here) are at odds with one another.

No matter what side of the debate you fall on our family is very much at war with one another. The sad thing is we all want what is best for our program. None of this is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                        Two observations on why there is no good ending:

1) Former student athletes are in effect being disowned.

2) The most loyal segment of the fanbase (yes that is what is represented on here - for the most part you won't find casual fans on here) are at odds with one another.

No matter what side of the debate you fall on our family is very much at war with one another. The sad thing is we all want what is best for our program. None of this is good.
                        Disowned and War are words that are too emotionally charged for me and I would say most who operate on Shockernet. There are maybe a minority who are as upset as you are saying. When the waves settle down, the few who feel overly depressed, may feel better. I don’t see a long term future ship wreck at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          nm

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Disowned and War are words that are too emotionally charged for me and I would say most who operate on Shockernet. There are maybe a minority who are as upset as you are saying. When the waves settle down, the few who feel overly depressed, may feel better. I don’t see a long term future ship wreck at this time.
                            Not sure about “ship”, but the train has definitely (hopefully temporarily) jumped the track...
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Arizona

Comment

• Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
                                If we can Marshall, our program takes a step backwards for a decade.

Comment

Working...
                                X