Former Shockers Media Mentions & Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    Ted Woodward gives Wichita history on a certain Facebook page. Mentioned that today would have been Karl Papke’s 60th birthday. Seeing as Karl’s time as a Shocker was before my recollection, I looked up some information on him and saw that he died quite young (only 30). What happened?
    Karl had a lot of issues that he kept very private. It seems that eventually he took his life as a way to end those issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

Karl had a lot of issues that he kept very private. It seems that eventually he took his life as a way to end those issues.
      I played basketball with him on a outdoor court when he was still in high school. Sad that this happened to him and his family. Forever a Shocker!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Ted Woodward gives Wichita history on a certain Facebook page. Mentioned that today would have been Karl Papke’s 60th birthday. Seeing as Karl’s time as a Shocker was before my recollection, I looked up some information on him and saw that he died quite young (only 30). What happened?
        I knew Karl VERY vaguely but liked him a ton… his death was a punch in gut…

Comment

• Karl's game winner over Tulsa and Nolan Richardson comes to mind every time I hear his name.

Comment

• Loved Karl Papke. I saw a lot of his high-school games at West High.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
              Loved Karl Papke. I saw a lot of his high-school games at West High.
              Wichita had some great high school basketball back then.

Comment

• Papke was definitely one of the top players in the entire Midwest coming out of West High.

I believe he was a top 100 recruit. Top 150 at worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

Wichita had some great high school basketball back then.
                  Most definitely. And we still got good high-school basketball today in Wichita. But it seems it was at another level back then with so many good players. Go Wichita, Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Most definitely. And we still got good high-school basketball today in Wichita. But it seems it was at another level back then with so many good players. Go Wichita, Go Shocks.
                    The City League era from about 1977-81 is unmatched...period. Karl was a big part of that era.

Comment

• Somewhere in the internet universe is a video clip of Karl throwing a one-handed 3/4 court bounce pass, hitting his teammate in stride. 6'7" passing genius!

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                        Somewhere in the internet universe is a video clip of Karl throwing a one-handed 3/4 court bounce pass, hitting his teammate in stride. 6'7" passing genius!
                        LOL. He could flat out pass the ball and had helleuva mid range shot in the paint too.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                            Somewhere in the internet universe is a video clip of Karl throwing a one-handed 3/4 court bounce pass, hitting his teammate in stride. 6'7" passing genius!
                            And I believe there was a lot of spin on that pass too. Also. You can’t talk about Karl without mentioning his money game off the glass. Dude was nails with the angles.

Comment

• LOTS of spin, one handed! Banking shots in from everywhere! Underrated shocker.

Comment

• X being X…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X