No announcement yet.

Former Shockers Media Mentions & Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legendary Fort Worth basketball coach who touched thousands of lives dies at 82 - Fort Worth Star Telegram

BY KALEY JOHNSON
    UPDATED AUGUST 31, 2021 05:13 PM

"John Gales Sr., who impacted thousands of lives in the 36 years he coached basketball and taught English in the Fort Worth school district, died Aug. 25 at the age of 82.

Gales’ list of accomplishments as a basketball player, coach and teacher is lengthy. But he will likely most be remembered for the values of hard work, integrity and goodness of spirit that he instilled in his students and the community.

Gales, a Fort Worth native, went to James E. Guinn Middle School and I.M. Terrell High School. He played basketball at Wichita State and returned to Fort Worth in 1962 as an educator and coach. He and Alice Gales had four sons: John Jr., Jeff, James and Jerrold. Jerrold Gales died in November 2020. The other three men still live in the Fort Worth area...."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      Legendary Fort Worth basketball coach who touched thousands of lives dies at 82 - Fort Worth Star Telegram
      https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...253860003.html
      BY KALEY JOHNSON

"John Gales Sr., who impacted thousands of lives in the 36 years he coached basketball and taught English in the Fort Worth school district, died Aug. 25 at the age of 82.

Gales’ list of accomplishments as a basketball player, coach and teacher is lengthy. But he will likely most be remembered for the values of hard work, integrity and goodness of spirit that he instilled in his students and the community.

Gales, a Fort Worth native, went to James E. Guinn Middle School and I.M. Terrell High School. He played basketball at Wichita State and returned to Fort Worth in 1962 as an educator and coach. He and Alice Gales had four sons: John Jr., Jeff, James and Jerrold. Jerrold Gales died in November 2020. The other three men still live in the Fort Worth area...."
      Nice find! Mr. Gales played for Ralph Miller and along side players like Al Tate, Lanny Van Eman, Ev Wessel, Ron Heller, Gene Wiley, and Ernie Moore. Averaged 10.9, 9.2 and 11.2 ppg his sophomore, junior, and senior years and was most likely considered a small forward or the 3 position.
      Last edited by ShockTalk; September 1, 2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        Legendary Fort Worth basketball coach who touched thousands of lives dies at 82 - Fort Worth Star Telegram

BY KALEY JOHNSON

What an amazing man. RIP Mr. Gales knowing the positive impact you had on thousands of lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Nice find! Mr. Gales played for Ralph Miller and along side players like Al Tate, Lanny Van Eman, Ev Wessel, Ron Heller, Gene Wiley, and Ernie Moore. Averaged 10.9, 9.2 and 11.2 ppg his sophomore, junior, and senior years and was most likely considered a small forward or the 3 position.
          Had a pure 12-14' jumper from either side of the lane. One of my favorites.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• A tribute of sorts, I guess, for Baker.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              A tribute of sorts, I guess, for Baker.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2...ring-ron-baker
              I enjoyed that… thanks!
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Not a big surprise for us that saw him this summer.

Comment

• Comment

• Jacob Herrs had an interesting summer. GA at Indiana. Worked out with Russell Westbrook. Got into a pickup game with 9 NBA guys. Connection with Etienne and some of Etienne's connections helped make that happen

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                      Jacob Herrs had an interesting summer. GA at Indiana. Worked out with Russell Westbrook. Got into a pickup game with 9 NBA guys. Connection with Etienne and some of Etienne's connections helped make that happen

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...mainstage_lead
                      So cool!
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Comment

• Austin Reeves signed to a 2 year contract by the Lakers. Despite his leaving, feel good about it because for 2 years he truly put his body on the line for WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                            Austin Reeves signed to a 2 year contract by the Lakers. Despite his leaving, feel good about it because for 2 years he truly put his body on the line for WSU.
                            Yep, and WSU paid to fix his shoulder and then he left and now look at him.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                              Austin Reeves signed to a 2 year contract by the Lakers. Despite his leaving, feel good about it because for 2 years he truly put his body on the line for WSU.
                              I hated seeing him leave but he most likely did the best thing for himself. I think he really needed the year off and even possibly a different style of coach.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X