No announcement yet.

Former Shockers Media Mentions & Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underclassman transfers out at 175 pounds with freshly healed injury and doesn't understand why he's a plug and play up to that point.

Graduates at 205 pounds and thinks he was that good as a freshman.

So typical, and so wrong.

Freshmen (and most sophomores) are 35 pounds lighter than their future self, 45% dumber .... oh forget it.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Underclassman transfers out at 175 pounds with freshly healed injury and doesn't understand why he's a plug and play up to that point.

Graduates at 205 pounds and thinks he was that good as a freshman.

So typical, and so wrong.

Freshmen (and most sophomores) are 35 pounds lighter than their future self, 45% dumber .... oh forget it.
      Didn't his arms pop out of socket like every other day? SMH

Comment

• I honestly don’t understand when guys use the term “players coach”, I get that they imply the coach doesn’t do much coaching and just lets them play, but does that make the coach a better coach or does he just recruit the best athletes he can get and hope for the best? Sounds to me like he thinks coaches aren’t there to develop players. The other part is, what about the guys sitting the bench? Do they enjoy playing for a players coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          I honestly don’t understand when guys use the term “players coach”, I get that they imply the coach doesn’t do much coaching and just lets them play, but does that make the coach a better coach or does he just recruit the best athletes he can get and hope for the best? Sounds to me like he thinks coaches aren’t there to develop players. The other part is, what about the guys sitting the bench? Do they enjoy playing for a players coach?
          I've always believed that every staff has, in effect, a good cop and bad cop. On some staffs the head coach plays the good cop and a top assistant plays the bad cop. On others staffs, vice versa.

Comment

I honestly don’t understand when guys use the term “players coach”, I get that they imply the coach doesn’t do much coaching and just lets them play, but does that make the coach a better coach or does he just recruit the best athletes he can get and hope for the best? Sounds to me like he thinks coaches aren’t there to develop players. The other part is, what about the guys sitting the bench? Do they enjoy playing for a players coach?
            I've always taken that to mean some coaches have a system and recruit to that system. I'd put Turgeon and Marshall in that category. While other coaches - player's coaches - are better at adjusting to best utilize the talents on their roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I've always taken that to mean some coaches have a system and recruit to that system. I'd put Turgeon and Marshall in that category. While other coaches - player's coaches - are better at adjusting to best utilize the talents on their roster.
              So is Mills a system coach or a players coach?

Comment

The way he described it, a players coach. At his PC he mentioned recruiting guys and then developing a system around them.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think he's already made a comment about not recruiting to a system, so at this point, I'd put him in the latter category. Plus, I don't think Max Abmas averages 20+ ppg over three seasons in a system.

Comment

• Hopefully Austin has learned how to catch inbounds passes and not clutch in big games.

I’ll never forgive that Maui game vs ND or they end of that AAC Tourney game vs Houston. Maybe if he had stuck around I could have, but since he packed up and left, outside of making those 7 threes in a half vs Tulsa, that’s what I remember most about his time here.
                    The Assman

Comment

• The thing about Kruger was as long as you played defense the way he wanted, he gave you a longer leash on offense.

Marshall had no leash on either end. Some players can handle that apparently.

Also, if Reaves would have taken a year off to heal and get stronger at WSU like he did in his transfer year to OU, then his roll would have likely increased to more of his liking.
                      The Assman

Comment

I wouldn't say they "don't do much coaching", but I think in essence a players' coach allows them to go out and play freely without the fear of making a mistake and getting subbed out after any minor mistake. Being allowed to play through some of your mistakes and play with freedom, and they find ways to put you in the best position to maximize your abilities. A lot of times guys just can't get in a rhythm when they're out there for 2 minutes, make a mistake, and get yanked immediately. You just can't build any confidence playing like that. Just my interpretation tho

Comment

• It's not so much that you get yanked for making any mistake ... nobody's perfect. It's if you make mistakes that eff up the system.

Dribble the ball of your foot under pressure? Embarrassing but it's just a mistake. No problem.

Supposed to switch on an attacker due to zone, but decide to follow him across the court, through the woods, and all the way to grandma's house (which just opened up your wing for an easy three by another attacker)? Yank.

You can make some technical mistakes, but not many tactical mistakes. You have four other guys relying on you playing your position the way they expect you to.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I’m going to give a comparison between GM and PM that shows a belief in he same thing. Paul Mills said one of the most important statistics to him is to not turn the ball over. Marshall had similar expectations. Isaac Brown’s teams had difficulties on limiting turn overs.

Now how does a coach hold his players accountable when it comes to turn overs? I have a feeling that Paul Mills and Gregg Marshall do it the same way. Fred and Ron never were taken out of games for tuning the ball over because it wasn’t a major problem for them. But there were players who were taken out.

i remember losing a quarterfinal AAC tournament game to a physical Houston team, in 2018 when Reeves was manhandled by the full court press. We were a top 10 ranked team who lost a game we should have won. Turn overs are important to top teams who are in close games. I’m hoping Paul Mills gets us back to that.
                            Last edited by Shockm; April 20, 2023, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Hi is Joerg,:

Whenis #Shockers put FVV shirt on roof????

#FVV alltimmebest. ANd #Shockers celbratte this!!

Thanks is Joerg

Comment

• Originally posted by Joerg View Post
                                Hi is Joerg,:

Whenis #Shockers put FVV shirt on roof????

#FVV alltimmebest. ANd #Shockers celbratte this!!

Thanks is Joerg
                                100% exactly what I was thinking!

Comment

Working...
                                X