No announcement yet.

2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beard will like Burton because he plays defense, and is willing to rebound, and get dirty. Burton would be the 5th guard coming up this year and he wouldn't play, thus a redshirt is probably a good idea. However, Beard is now recruiting more 4 star players than every before. Don't kid yourself, he will recruit a couple of great athletes to score for him. Burton will be fine, even good, but he won't be the star he thinks he will be. Burton is a good, all around basketball player who isn't a point guard and will be an average shooter but not the star he wants to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      If JB can become a 45% 3 point shooter, at a decently high volume, he can play NBA. James Harden is not a freak athlete, or fast, in fact he’s kinda lazy on defense, but the dude has figured out how to become an incredible shooter and use his body on drives to draw contact and is considered one of the top players in the NBA. Anything is possible if JB is willing to put in the work and put up with critical coaching.
      lol 45%? Was Shamet even a 45% 3 point shooter?

He has such a slow release set-shot that anybody who can play a decent of lick of defense will prevent a shot to even get out of his hands.

He won't even sniff the NBA. These's a pretty good chance he won't even start a game at Texas Tech by the time he's through.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

lol 45%? Was Shamet even a 45% 3 point shooter?

He has such a slow release set-shot that anybody who can play a decent of lick of defense will prevent a shot to even get out of his hands.

He won't even sniff the NBA. These's a pretty good chance he won't even start a game at Texas Tech by the time he's through.
        i think Shamet was around 45%. It’s probably unrealistic, I just think that’s what JB has to become to sniff the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
          I hear all this, "he will red-shirt for Texas Tech but not here" and "but Gregg develops players too..Landry, Ron, FVV, etc. etc. "

Am I really the only one that thinks he couldn't stand the idea of playing another minute for Gregg Marshall? Once the portal opened, he not only ran, he sprinted to get out of here.

Fine. If someone doesn't want to be here, we do not want them here.
          I think that's part of it. And probably the tipping point, but it's fairly obvious it was a pretty hostile environment from all sides. That combined with Marshall being tough and at the point that Burton left, Sherfield was planning on coming back, then it makes sense. Why stay in a 'bad" situation when the coach has stated that he brought someone in to take the position you want to play. I say it was a bad situation only because it wasn't fun anymore. Players and coaches had built up walls and started taking shots at each other. Whether it's the best option or not long term, most people would try to get out of that type of situation.

I didn't want to lose JB, he was by far the best of the ones that left. There is a reason he is only one that transferred lateral or up. The rest all transferred down.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
            Has anyone looked at what Texas Tech has, or potentially has coming back, at gaurd?
            • Their top four scorers (all gaurds) are back (Ramsey might declare for draft but hasn't yet). 2 Sophomores, 1 Junior, and 1 Senior next year
            • Top three in minutes played were guards and as of now all will be back

Where will his minutes come from? Doesn't seem ideal to me.
            I had looked and thought the same thing. I thought maybe I was missing something.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

That legitimately surprises me. Honestly blown away by that.
              If it is a legitimate offer, I wonder why he didn't grab it. Can he really expect to do much better?

Comment

• By all accounts JB was a very quiet young man. I would be willing to believe he was tired of all of the BS going on around him as well as feeling he was the next choice for PG. If GS leaves does that mean another PG is recruited to take his spot. Like most on here I have no clue what went into decision process but it is what it is. Also I find it hard for me to wish a departing player well at his next stop unless it was by mutual agreement. By the same token I wish no transfer ill either. As a friend of mine says "Forgiveness is over rated"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  If JB can become a 45% 3 point shooter, at a decently high volume, he can play NBA.
                  He is not going to be one. Your 1st and 2nd year give you a pretty good idea where they will be for a career.

Baker 35%, 37%, 38%, 36%
                  Fred 38%, 37%, 41%, 41%
                  Cotton 29%, 37%, 36%, 35%

The real question will he be able to hit 38% again or will he fall back towards his 26% from his Freshman year? In Tier A & B opponents in 2019 he was only a 30% shooter from 3.
                  B12 will be a tougher league so I expect he will be somewhere between 30-32% for his career at Tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

He is not going to be one. Your 1st and 2nd year give you a pretty good idea where they will be for a career.

Baker 35%, 37%, 38%, 36%
                    Fred 38%, 37%, 41%, 41%
                    Cotton 29%, 37%, 36%, 35%

The real question will he be able to hit 38% again or will he fall back towards his 26% from his Freshman year? In Tier A & B opponents in 2019 he was only a 30% shooter from 3.
                    B12 will be a tougher league so I expect he will be somewhere between 30-32% for his career at Tech.
                    As I remember it, Burton's shots this past year came mostly when no defender was in the same zip code. That's a completely different 38% than Baker's where he was option one or two for the offense. Fred hit 41% with a hand in his face with 2 seconds on the shot clock. Burton could have taken a nap before the defender got to him.

If he was half the shooter of the others, he wouldn't have been that open to begin with.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                      Transfer portal causing college basketball coaches headaches - The Washington Times

By DAVE SKRETTA - Associated Press -
                      Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The transfer portal was implemented two years ago, intended to help ease the burden on administrators, increase transparency and empower athletes who complained about being prevented at times from going elsewhere. But in the eyes of many coaches, the portal has made transferring too easy, giving players an easy out for any reason: amount of playing time, location, level of competition, even something as silly as school colors.

"WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Some of them point to the hypocrisy of coaches being able to freely change schools while players have long been locked into scholarships, and the fact that the transfer portal has created a level playing field where everybody can have a shot at a player interested in new surroundings. ”
                      I believe this just points out the hypocrisy of the "college athlete." NCAA wants to claim that a player is a student, therefore they chose the school, not the coach. That belief leads to the hypocrisy mentioned above; they take the stand that the coach can leave, but the player committed to a school for study, NOT a coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

If it is a legitimate offer, I wonder why he didn't grab it. Can he really expect to do much better?
                        So many of these offers come with strings attached and it is not just a matter of a player saying "Okay, I'll take it".

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

So many of these offers come with strings attached and it is not just a matter of a player saying "Okay, I'll take it".
                          What kinda strings? I'm ignorant.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

I believe this just points out the hypocrisy of the "college athlete." NCAA wants to claim that a player is a student, therefore they chose the school, not the coach. That belief leads to the hypocrisy mentioned above; they take the stand that the coach can leave, but the player committed to a school for study, NOT a coach.
                            How many coaches left their team each year? Only coaches who were very successful, and on the way up. Most coaches didn't leave their team except for being fired.

How many players are transferring this year? If you compared percentages, it wouldn't even be close. I don't mind if some players leave but what is happening this year is NUTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

How many coaches left their team each year? Only coaches who were very successful, and on the way up. Most coaches didn't leave their team except for being fired.

How many players are transferring this year? If you compared percentages, it wouldn't even be close. I don't mind if some players leave but what is happening this year is NUTS.
                              Still a lot of time left, but we haven't caught up with last year yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Do you believe its okay for someone to quit while they are very successful and on the way up?

Comment

Working...
                                X