No announcement yet.

2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I honestly think it is going to take more work to seek out players who are team players and not "me" guys. I think we had three guys on the team who were too much in to their own interests and not so much about contributing to a team. ( Sherfield, Burton and Stevenson). Part of a generation of young adults who have grown up promoting themselves on social media, so to me the attitude is not surprising. I think Burton will be in for a surprise at TT and will find out the grass ain't always greener. Beard is a hard nosed coach like Marshall. Good luck to him, I could be wrong, only time will tell. If I sound like an old fart, it could because I am and feel like players just a few years ago were more team oriented as a general rule of thumb.
    Last edited by Shockadaisical; April 13, 2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Guess I totally missed that. At what point did we want him to redshirt? Better yet, when could we have afforded him to redshirt?

not saying we wanted to redshirt him, but JB, like just about everyone else, would probably pass on the redshirt option if 3G offered it to him rather than transferring. They go to a new school and choose to redshirt even if they’re not required to sit out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
        I think Burton will be in for a surprise at TT and will find out the grass ain't always greener. Beard is a hard nosed coach like Marshall. Good luck to him, I could be wrong, only time will tell. If I sound like an old fart, it could because I am and feel like players just a few years ago were more team oriented as a general rule of thumb.
        Beard is a Bobby Knight disciple. However, I don’t think he was around Bobby yet when Bobby threw that chair on the court because he didn’t like how the referees were calling the game. That was classic and kids like Burton have no idea what a lunatic Knight was. I would imagine that some of Knight’s practice habits rubbed off on Beard. I also imagine Burton will be able to “stomach” the behavior better now. Gregg may have done him a favor and prepared him. But Beard, like Bobby, and like Gregg is a “winning” coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

not saying we wanted to redshirt him, but JB, like just about everyone else, would probably pass on the redshirt option if 3G offered it to him rather than transferring. They go to a new school and choose to redshirt even if they’re not required to sit out.
          I think JB is redshirting for a different reason than he would have here. He's going into a new program 2 years removed from playing in the NCAA title game who is currently loaded with guards. He probably thinks (and is right) that he could compete better with whoever is there 1 year from now after learning the system and practicing with his teammates. If he does believe he has a shot at the NBA, or even just pro ball, after redshirting should put him in a better appearance to pro teams.

Comment

• Burton will play pro ball somewhere but no way he is an NBA talent. He is strong enough but not athletic enough.

Comment

• I have no problem with a young man setting his sights high and works hard to get there even if the odds are stacked against him. Strong enough but not athletic enough. Seems like that may have been said about another recent Shocker guard. But I don't think JB is anywhere closed to the same zip code that Fred is in when it comes to basketball instincts and IQ which is what sets Fred apart. Of course, there are not many that can match Fred in the instinct and IQ factors.

Nothing more fun in my book than watching an instinctual high BBIQ player at work.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 13, 2020, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                But I don't think JB is anywhere closed to the same zip code that Fred is in when it comes to basketball instincts and IQ which is what sets Fred apart.
                Not to mention testicular fortitude. No way FVV would have cried and ran away.

Comment

• Not that Jamarius cares one whit about what I think, I'm just more disappointed here at the end...in his interview with his hometown paper, I would have been much more impressed if he would have said "here's why I'M leaving...." and not portended to speak for the other guys....
                  I love Beard...think he's great, and I think JB will do ok there, but this screams "I didn't get my way"

Comment

• I hear all this, "he will red-shirt for Texas Tech but not here" and "but Gregg develops players too..Landry, Ron, FVV, etc. etc. "

Am I really the only one that thinks he couldn't stand the idea of playing another minute for Gregg Marshall? Once the portal opened, he not only ran, he sprinted to get out of here.

Fine. If someone doesn't want to be here, we do not want them here.

Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; April 14, 2020, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• If JB can become a 45% 3 point shooter, at a decently high volume, he can play NBA. James Harden is not a freak athlete, or fast, in fact he’s kinda lazy on defense, but the dude has figured out how to become an incredible shooter and use his body on drives to draw contact and is considered one of the top players in the NBA. Anything is possible if JB is willing to put in the work and put up with critical coaching.

Comment

• nm

Comment

• Transfer portal causing college basketball coaches headaches - The Washington Times

By DAVE SKRETTA - Associated Press -
                          Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The transfer portal was implemented two years ago, intended to help ease the burden on administrators, increase transparency and empower athletes who complained about being prevented at times from going elsewhere. But in the eyes of many coaches, the portal has made transferring too easy, giving players an easy out for any reason: amount of playing time, location, level of competition, even something as silly as school colors.

"WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Gregg Marshall began his career as an assistant at tiny Randolph-Macon and Belmont Abbey, but it was during eight years on the staff of Hall of Fame coach John Kresse at College of Charleston that he learned to build a basketball program. Marshall learned how to recruit players who fit his style. He learned how to find overlooked gems, guys who were still growing or had yet to discover their shot. He learned how to sit in their living rooms and convince moms and dads that their sons would get a good education and in four years be prepared for the real world. Many of those lessons have helped Marshall become Wichita State’s winningest coach. But many have lost their value, and the reason is simple: The NCAA transfer portal has forced coaches to build teams rather than programs....

Not every coach believes the transfer portal has become a problem. Some of them point to the hypocrisy of coaches being able to freely change schools while players have long been locked into scholarships, and the fact that the transfer portal has created a level playing field where everybody can have a shot at a player interested in new surroundings. Those adept at landing high-profile transfers often have benefited, too.

Marshall himself took advantage of the transfer portal to land Connecticut transfer Alterique Gilbert and could be in the market for another player or two. “The biggest thing for coaches as this transfer portal takes on a life of its own, you’re not building a program anymore. I don’t know anybody who can do that,” Marshall said. “It’s hard for us to do that because you’re building a team every year.”

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                            Am I really the only one that thinks he couldn't stand the idea of playing another minute for Gregg Marshall?
                            No. Seems obvious to me based on how quickly it happened, and things he said. I just don't get the Tech developing pros comment. I wish him well either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                              Transfer portal causing college basketball coaches headaches - The Washington Times

By DAVE SKRETTA - Associated Press -
                              Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The transfer portal was implemented two years ago, intended to help ease the burden on administrators, increase transparency and empower athletes who complained about being prevented at times from going elsewhere. But in the eyes of many coaches, the portal has made transferring too easy, giving players an easy out for any reason: amount of playing time, location, level of competition, even something as silly as school colors.

"WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Gregg Marshall began his career as an assistant at tiny Randolph-Macon and Belmont Abbey, but it was during eight years on the staff of Hall of Fame coach John Kresse at College of Charleston that he learned to build a basketball program. Marshall learned how to recruit players who fit his style. He learned how to find overlooked gems, guys who were still growing or had yet to discover their shot. He learned how to sit in their living rooms and convince moms and dads that their sons would get a good education and in four years be prepared for the real world. Many of those lessons have helped Marshall become Wichita State’s winningest coach. But many have lost their value, and the reason is simple: The NCAA transfer portal has forced coaches to build teams rather than programs....

Not every coach believes the transfer portal has become a problem. Some of them point to the hypocrisy of coaches being able to freely change schools while players have long been locked into scholarships, and the fact that the transfer portal has created a level playing field where everybody can have a shot at a player interested in new surroundings. Those adept at landing high-profile transfers often have benefited, too.

Marshall himself took advantage of the transfer portal to land Connecticut transfer Alterique Gilbert and could be in the market for another player or two. “The biggest thing for coaches as this transfer portal takes on a life of its own, you’re not building a program anymore. I don’t know anybody who can do that,” Marshall said. “It’s hard for us to do that because you’re building a team every year.”
                              I think the biggest difference between coaches and players (alluding to the hypocrisy mentioned in changing schools) is that you have grown men who should have a better idea of what they want and young men who often need the experience of going through some adversity in order to mature. I think that the transfer portal is creating an atmosphere where young men just bail out on situations where it doesn't feel like things are going their way, instead of learning to adapt and grow more mature through the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Pickle View Post

No. Seems obvious to me based on how quickly it happened, and things he said. I just don't get the Tech developing pros comment. I wish him well either way.
                                By saying that Tech develops pros, I don't think he was saying that Wichita State doesn't. That is just what he was looking for to when choosing a new program. just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X