No announcement yet.

2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing JB to Shamet is even dumber than comparing ES to Baker.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

lol and what kinda hardship is he claiming to play immediately?
      That will be interesting to see. I wouldn’t think “Coach is a meanie” would suffice, if Teddy’s situation didn’t get it done.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        Here is my transfer solution:

1. If you take money from the school and decide to transfer, you sit for 1 year. This honor the investment that the school has put in you.

2. If you choose to play for a school and take no money (financial aid would not count as money) then you are free to do whatever you want.

3. If a coach leaves (whether fire or changing job), you are free to leave regardless if you are 1 or 2.

4. Scholarships are for 4 years. If you want the player to be committed, then schools have to be committed. If schools are not willing to do (4), then their players can transfer with no restrictions regardless if they are (1) or (2).
        I like it - but on #3. Are you referring to any coach on the team? I believe i read somewhere that every kid that transferred out this year was primarily recruited by a coach that is no longer with WSU. So if it's any coach, all of these kids would get waivers. Or is it only the same year the coach leaves?

Comment

• Maybe JB has to go to Stetson....

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
            Comparing JB to Shamet is even dumber than comparing ES to Baker.
            i don’t think anyone is saying they are similar other than height and possible positions. Shamet skills is where JB needs to be to get to the NBA. There isn’t any coach that’s gonna turn him into a Landry Shamet level player. Either you have it or you don’t. Part of comparison is discussing similarities and differences.

Comment

• I thought the NCAA decided that all the transfers will get to play immediately. At least that's what a tweet from ES said. Why does Burton need to apply for a waiver? I'm so confused at this point.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                I thought the NCAA decided that all the transfers will get to play immediately. At least that's what a tweet from ES said. Why does Burton need to apply for a waiver? I'm so confused at this point.
                It’s up for vote this summer

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

lol and what kinda hardship is he claiming to play immediately?
                  According to JB yesterday he was going to redshirt next year. Make up your mind! Jeez.

His hardship is that he got his little itty bitty feelings hurt when the mean man yelled at him.

Comment

• I love Dick Vitale, he's done a lot to elevate college basketball. Sure, he loves to cradle 'Dook's' balls but no one is perfect. He's always been a champion for the 'little guy' when it comes to NCAA selection time and I see nothing wrong with him observing the abnormal amount of transfers we've had this year. In terms of Bilas, I generally find him a likable guy too. Yeah, he's a Dook and BCS homer but he played and graduated from there so what do you expect? But mostly, he's very much a champion for the 'student' athlete. I look at it this way, he played high level D1 and relates to the players a lot more than you and I. Since the argument of not paying players keeps coming up and that the NCAA refuses to allow this, Bilas and others champion appeasing the players with the idea of immediate eligibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

What kinda strings? I'm ignorant.
                      I can't say for sure as I'm ignorant as well but I think it is pretty obvious that when you have 30 offers on the table to fill 3 openings that you a coach is just saying okay I will take the first 3 guys who accept. For one thing you might need a point guard, a wing and forward but the first 3 guys who say I accept are all point guards. I think it is also well known that coaches prioritize their recruits. If they make an offer to 5 wings and your are No. 5 on the list the offer is probably subject to confirmation of the offering coach as long as the 4 guys listed in front of you are available and still possibilities. I couldn't say how that is worded in the offers that are made but it just seems obvious it is not a matter of making offers and taking players on a first come, first serve basis.

A good example of this that comes to mind is the Shockers' recruitment of Neftali Alvarez. Seemed like the Shockers had him on the line for quite a long time and seemed like he was very interested in becoming a Shocker. The Shockers made an offer in July 2017. I think they offered Alex Lomax about the same time. Alvarez took his official visit in mid-August 2017. Lomax made his official visit a couple of weeks later. Lomax committed to the Shockers on November 8, 2017. So Alvarez had 3 months to "accept" the Shockers' "offer". Alvarez ended up committing to Mercer the following Spring.

OTOH, if you have a guy who is at the top of your wish list for a particular position you will take him as soon as he accepts.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                        Interesting....

I thought he wanted to redshirt anyways. Perhaps that was just a rumor.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Capture.JPG

It's a dumb move on his part if he doesn't redshirt. They are over crowded at guard. Will be less crowded a year from now.

Comment

• I admit I loved ES's swagger. I did not like his outsized ego.
                            He seems to be the "straw that stirred the drink" as far as everyone leaving (to quote Reggie Jackson).

I don't wish any of these young men ill will.
                            It must be pretty difficult for them to leave home, go 1/2 way across the country, attend college and play basketball.
                            Lots of time demands just starting out college.

But I think generally, transferring is a mistake.

There are cases where there is just not a good fit, the coach isn't who you thought he was, or other circumstances.
                            Mom gets sick at home and kid needs to be closer.

No problem with those. But these kids transferring because they think the coach is too mean or they are not getting enough playing time, or their NBA dream is being shredded.
                            Only 1% of them are going to end up in the NBA.
                            Marshall has a damn good record of at least getting you overseas.

I predict this will not work out well for ES, JB, MU.
                            Will work out better for Busse, Mitgaard, Fernandez, not sure about Gordon.

I won't root against them, I am now just indifferent.
                            If they aren't Shockers, I simply don't care.

Will probably watch box scores when they are eligible.

A big risk to take a transfer before you know if the immediate transfer rule is going into effect.
                            I hope it does not until next year.

But I am cool, seems like we moved up the ladder in physical talent and size. I think we will be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

It must hinge on if Ramsey comes back or not. Or maybe Dick Vital is just flapping his gums

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                                Dick's mea culpa?
                                He’s still a tool. Have you seen what he did as a Div I basketball coach? NEVER liked the guy and his diaper dandy shtick.

Comment

Working...
                                X