No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ACC earned $30 million from their performance in last year's tourney. IMO an expanded AAC would have similar potential given the number (Wichita, VCU, Dayton, UCONN, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston and Tulsa) of schools who have a history of success in the tourney. The MVC will never IMO offer the Shockers such a potential financial windfall.

The ACC has seen six of its teams reach the Sweet 16 of this year's NCAA tournament, a run that will be worth more than $30 million to the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      On the question of shares - it was "never" would they consider adjusting the share formula. He sad WSU got more benefits by being in the MVC than the MVC gets benefit from WSU being in the conference and so the present share formula they believe is fair. It also sounded like CU had before they left the conference had submitted a proposal to adjust the formula and they had rejected it.
      Of course the rest of the Valley thinks the formula is fair. They spend little money on sports and collect the cream off of WSU's efforts. Small minds, small thinking, small time conference. Get us out of here!
      Go Shocks!

Comment

• From the UNI Board:

They're gone and we're screwed.
        That's about right.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Don't know if this was posted .. but Bidding war anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            http://www.mwcconnection.com/2017/3/...-mountain-west

Don't know if this was posted .. but Bidding war anyone?
            That place is in serious need of a copy editor.
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Funny how a couple years ago, the MWC looked like a great option. Though still better competition and ceiling than the MVC, I am happy the AAC is he one that came a calling.

I know people are afraid that Cinci and UCONN will leave the AAC, but if they choose to go 14 teams (to try and prevent that), and also added Dayton and VCU, that would still be a solid conference.

I dare you to tell me WSU wouldn't be in a better position (along with the AAC), with those two schools alone (VCU and Dayton), not to mention Tulsa, SMU, Temple, Memphis, and (potentially) Houston. If UCONN and Cinci stay, it's Icing on the cake.

Plus, schools like UCF are at least trying to invest in their athletics and attract more students and better athletes. These schools mesh more with WSU now; forward thinking schools in urban areas. It's all perfect.

One problem I think people fail to realize is that when they pick up the "Wichita market" they also capture some of the KC, OKC, and other surrounding markets as WSU grads make their way to those areas. It's not isolated to on location, if it were Storrs would be a hard pass.

Sorry, I know myself and everyone has said all this a million times. It's just a long wait until the Tourney and this an even more exciting and anxious waiting game than that.
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                One problem I think people fail to realize is that when they pick up the "Wichita market" they also capture some of the KC, OKC, and other surrounding markets as WSU grads make their way to those areas. It's not isolated to on location, if it were Storrs would be a hard pass.
                ...and judging by Phognet lately...perhaps the Lawerence market as well. Dooolp!!! Lol
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• The Shox are starting to pick up a national audience. WSU bring A LOT more to the table than Creighton could dream of.

I'm confident the AAC admins will look at WSU's TV ratings and the revenue WSU produces from the tourney. It would seem the decision gets to be fairly easy.

The B12's failure to expand might hold a clue to a potential problem. Some B12 schools didn't want Houston in because it was another team that they might lose to. Some schools didn't want Houston because they didn't want to increase Houston's ability to recruit in areas where they wanted to recruit. The same could happen with WSU and the AAC.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• I have always said the AAC makes more sense than the WAC. Later start times for basketball plus no one on the east coast or central even knows who played or what the scores are until the Monday morning paper arrives. AAC for me and mine. Reading the AAC board they seem to be MUCH MORE interested in becoming a Basketball power as in being better than the PAC or the little 12 minus 2. They are looking at a conference in the top 3 in the nation. This is a conference (or at least their fans) that want to compete at the highest levels.

Comment

• They nerves are setting in around the MVC

Rumblings of a Wichita State exit leave the league's future in question.
                        The Assman

Comment

• In terms of how the media is reporting things based on the timing from the first reports, at this point in the B12's failed expansion plans, media was reporting why expansion wouldn't happen. The trend on this story seems to be going the other way.

I'm still not convinced, but I'm past "cautiously optimistic". My glass is about 3/4 full.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            In terms of how the media is reporting things based on the timing from the first reports, at this point in the B12's failed expansion plans, media was reporting why expansion wouldn't happen. The trend on this story seems to be going the other way.

I'm still not convinced, but I'm past "cautiously optimistic". My glass is about 3/4 full.
                            A coworker (Bradley alum) and I were discussing this yesterday, how the tone seems to be not if but when the AAC/Shocks make the move, even using "the glass is 3/4 full" analogy.

Better days...
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• UConn fan here. Would love to see Wichita State in the AAC. Think it's a win-win.

Comment

• Originally posted by GampelCraizes View Post
                                UConn fan here. Would love to see Wichita State in the AAC. Think it's a win-win.
                                Welcome to Shockernet; you have come to the right place all the posters on here favor WSU moving to the AAC.

Comment

Working...
                                X