No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure going to 16 will benefit the B1G. Nebraska has been a near-bust in football (they just aren't as good as they used to be), their old selves in basketball.

Maryland has fared a little better, but if IIRC, you have to go all the way back to the glory days of Randy White to see a Maryland FB team on the national stage.

Rutgers did little except add buzz and NY press. It remains to be seen if that was a good move. If Rutgers improves, then it was, if not, then I'm thinking no one in NYC will care.

If I were the commissioner, I would be more for holding the course and seeing how things settle out in terms of conference quality and national recognition.

Before all this, the B1G was a dying conference. There's no growth in that part of the country. There's a lot more growth in the SEC and B12 country, but I'm not convinced that the B12 can survive with the poaching that's going on.

Also as a matter of note, there are rumors flying down here that the B12 might be interested in U of H, but it would take a considerable upgrade of their ghetto bb arena and more fb interest for that to happen, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      The real challenge is being a doormat and trying to sell yourself to another conference.
      Missouri State has it rough

EDIT: on second thought. It's really not that hard when the conference you want to sell yourself to is the MVC. We let anybody in. We'll look at a list of currently decent suitors and then go with Loyola because they said they are committed to start trying...

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        I'm not sure going to 16 will benefit the B1G. Nebraska has been a near-bust in football (they just aren't as good as they used to be), their old selves in basketball.

Maryland has fared a little better, but if IIRC, you have to go all the way back to the glory days of Randy White to see a Maryland FB team on the national stage.

Rutgers did little except add buzz and NY press. It remains to be seen if that was a good move. If Rutgers improves, then it was, if not, then I'm thinking no one in NYC will care.

If I were the commissioner, I would be more for holding the course and seeing how things settle out in terms of conference quality and national recognition.

Before all this, the B1G was a dying conference. There's no growth in that part of the country. There's a lot more growth in the SEC and B12 country, but I'm not convinced that the B12 can survive with the poaching that's going on.

Also as a matter of note, there are rumors flying down here that the B12 might be interested in U of H, but it would take a considerable upgrade of their ghetto bb arena and more fb interest for that to happen, IMO.
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the B1G just win the college football playoff? And didn't another B1G team just play, albeit lose, in the basketball championship game? I'd say the B1G I'd doing just fine. Like I said in an earlier post, ever conference needs doormats, the B1G has a few.

The problem with the Big 12 isn't doormats, they have plenty, the Big 12 doesn't have any frontrunners. Texas did a faceplant and Oklahoma has plateaued. There aren't any quality teams to bring in to shore the conference up. Kansas State and Baylor does not make a power conference.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• And what's a "Department Service" anyway?[/QUOTE]

Could this be a misprint for Debt not Dept?

Comment

My gut is that they will all be happy at 16. There isn't any low hanging fruit and while adding teams to 16 generates more revenue for everyone, beyond that just divides the pie into more pieces.

As for kicking teams out, it's probably not going to happen. Every conference needs a doormat. There is only one champion, so all you gain by throwing out a doormat is adding another.

The real challenge is being a doormat and trying to sell yourself to another conference.
            P4 Conferences each with two 8 team divisions works for both football and basketball National Championships.

a.) Football National Championship is an eight team playoff, seven games played over three weeks.
            b.) Basketball Nation Championship is a 32 team playoff: thirty-one games played over two weeks

Chip Brown's article in Horns Digest IMO makes a valid statement regards the dollars available to the P4 members from a single TV Contract and as illustrated above they can pitch National Championships for both Football and Basketball. The central question is what 8 teams are added to the current ACC, B1G, Pac 12 and SEC conferences? Governor Boren wants to package Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC but I think that is too problematic; a more likely scenario for schools in the Eastern and Central Time Zones is:

ACC - Cincinnati and Connecticut are added

B1G - Oklahoma and Texas

SEC - Baylor and Oklahoma State

Non selected Big 12 teams could morph into a New Big 8:
            1. Kansas
            2. Kansas State
            3. Texas Tech
            4. TCU
            5. Iowa State
            6. West Virginia
            7. Memphis
            8. SMU

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
              P4 Conferences each with two 8 team divisions works for both football and basketball National Championships.

a.) Football National Championship is an eight team playoff, seven games played over three weeks.
              b.) Basketball Nation Championship is a 32 team playoff: thirty-one games played over two weeks

Chip Brown's article in Horns Digest IMO makes a valid statement regards the dollars available to the P4 members from a single TV Contract and as illustrated above they can pitch National Championships for both Football and Basketball. The central question is what 8 teams are added to the current ACC, B1G, Pac 12 and SEC conferences? Governor Boren wants to package Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC but I think that is too problematic; a more likely scenario for schools in the Eastern and Central Time Zones is:

ACC - Cincinnati and Connecticut are added

B1G - Oklahoma and Texas

SEC - Baylor and Oklahoma State

Non selected Big 12 teams could morph into a New Big 8:
              1. Kansas
              2. Kansas State
              3. Texas Tech
              4. TCU
              5. Iowa State
              6. West Virginia
              7. Memphis
              8. SMU
              I don't understand Cincinati and I don't understand Baylor. If Anne Richards hadn't been governor when the SWC imploded, Baylor would have been in the MwC. I would understand TTech or West Virginia much quicker. If Baylor loses Art Briles, they'll be back to what they were after Grant Teaff left. And, IIRC, they have never won a B12 title in FB and only 1 in the old SwC.

Cincinati isn't noted in any sports since Huggie left.

The only way that scenario playing out totally would be if the MoValleyJohn theory came into play - namely that the new P4 would want a couple of doormats as throw-ins. Then they could get the king of the fb doormats in Kansas.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the B1G just win the college football playoff? And didn't another B1G team just play, albeit lose, in the basketball championship game? I'd say the B1G I'd doing just fine. Like I said in an earlier post, ever conference needs doormats, the B1G has a few.
                I can see that I did not context this properly. With Houston poised to pass Chicago as the 3rd largest city in the US in the next 20 years or so (some say it's already happened, but I don't believe it) and people still leaving the frozen tundra of the Great Lakes, B1G viewership has been declining until the expansion. That's because Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Ohio are not really growing at best. In Texas, we normally have three or four cities (San Antonio, Austin, Houston and Dallas) in the top 10, along with cities in Georgia, Florida and Arizona. That kind of growth means huge and expanding TV markets, which drives advert dollars and TV contracts.

Adding Rutgers may help with all the TV's in NY and NJ, but if Rutgers can't become a force in the B1G, I'd say that any edge they gained by adding Rutgers might be lost because they're more like Rice and less like Ohio State.

Comment

I can see that I did not context this properly. With Houston poised to pass Chicago as the 3rd largest city in the US in the next 20 years or so (some say it's already happened, but I don't believe it) and people still leaving the frozen tundra of the Great Lakes, B1G viewership has been declining until the expansion. That's because Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Ohio are not really growing at best. In Texas, we normally have three or four cities (San Antonio, Austin, Houston and Dallas) in the top 10, along with cities in Georgia, Florida and Arizona. That kind of growth means huge and expanding TV markets, which drives advert dollars and TV contracts.

Adding Rutgers may help with all the TV's in NY and NJ, but if Rutgers can't become a force in the B1G, I'd say that any edge they gained by adding Rutgers might be lost because they're more like Rice and less like Ohio State.
                  Except... People haven't been leaving the rust belt in droves. The growth has stopped, but in each and every B1G state, there have been very modest gains. Modest is an overstatement, but the population has grown. Even in Michigan, where Detroit collapsed, there are more people living there now than in 2010. B1G viewership is also off the charts. Viewership of the B1G isn't limited to the rust belt, either, it is watched everywhere, from California to yes, even Texas.

It is hardly a dying conference.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

University of Houston?

The school with an athletic department budget of $39M, when the B12's median sits at $78M, and the smallest spender (ISU) lies at $68M? The school with a football team that brings in less than 30K fans to a brand-spanking-new 40K seat stadium, and has finished the season ranked just once since 1990? The school with a basketball program that brings in less than 4K to an 8.5K arena, has made the NCAA tournament just once since 1992, hasn't won a game there since 1984, and brings in only $.50 in MBB revenue for every $1.00 WSU brings in? That Houston?

Not to sound rude and all, but you might want to have a come-to-Jesus talk with whomever owns the mouth that hilarious thought came out of, right after you conspicuously laugh in their face for effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                      Missouri State has it rough

EDIT: on second thought. It's really not that hard when the conference you want to sell yourself to is the MVC. We let anybody in. We'll look at a list of currently decent suitors and then go with Loyola because they are a small, snooty Catholic school, and the MVC had just lost their small, snooty Catholic school to another conference...
                      FYP

Comment

• CHICAGO - BTN on Saturday had the highest viewership in its history, with three football and two men?s basketball games contributing to the record day. Saturday?s noon ET games, which featured Indiana at Ohio State and Rutgers at Michigan State, averaged a 3.0 HH rating in the network?s 12 metered markets.* Most notably, the games […]

Comment

• Originally posted by Signman View Post
                          And what's a "Department Service" anyway?
                          Could this be a misprint for Debt not Dept?
                          My thought as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            FYP
                            Why are we discussion Missouri State? Everyone knows that the SEC just left an invitation for the Bears in a sealed manilla envelope at JQH Arena. Plenty of polo shirts with SEC logos were seen. People were seen leaving in black vans with tinted windows. This is BIG!

Comment

Except... People haven't been leaving the rust belt in droves. The growth has stopped, but in each and every B1G state, there have been very modest gains. Modest is an overstatement, but the population has grown. Even in Michigan, where Detroit collapsed, there are more people living there now than in 2010. B1G viewership is also off the charts. Viewership of the B1G isn't limited to the rust belt, either, it is watched everywhere, from California to yes, even Texas.

It is hardly a dying conference.
                              I don't think there's that many alumni in Houston from B1G schools. At least not enough to boost viewership significantly.

And that article you linked?

"Saturday’s noon ET games, which featured Indiana at Ohio State and Rutgers at Michigan State, averaged a 3.0 HH rating in the network’s 12 metered markets.* Most notably, the games in Columbus earned a 27.0 HH rating, in Dayton, 13.9, Cleveland, 12.1 and in Detroit, 6.5. BTN’s afternoon game, Maryland at Michigan, delivered a 2.0 HH rating, with Detroit leading all the network’s metered markets with a 10.3 HH rating, followed by Columbus at 9.5. - See more at: http://btn.com/2014/11/24/big-ten-network-attracts-highest-viewership-ever/#sthash.FPvMrxeu.dpuf"

So where are all the TV's in Phoenix, Tucson, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio? Oh yes, absolutely NONE of them on a list with Dayton, Detroit, Cleveland or Columbus.

Comment

• The more money that goes into college sports, and the farther along it gets to simply being de facto, low level professional sports, the closer college sports gets to popping its own bubble. At some point, the viewing public will get fatigued at the academically illegitimate and dollar-infatuated college game, and they'll just say "fook it... I might as well watch the pro game... same thing with a superior level of play."
                                Last edited by SHOCKvalue; July 8, 2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X