No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe if they exceed expectations, they'll make it to the Chinese Buffet Bowl and face Northeastern Alabama State Southern.

Comment

• Originally posted by SirShoxAlot View Post
      Maybe if they exceed expectations, they'll make it to the Chinese Buffet Bowl and face Northeastern Alabama State Southern.
      We did play in the Beef O Brady's St Pete Bowl...it was played at MLBs Tropicana Field...you can't beat Florida in December...but it was an odd setup to be sure.

It seems most years we play in the toilet bowl...the hope is major investments from FedEx and the City...plus the better money, exposure, and competition in the AAC will kick start football.

Comment

• I didn't see this previously posted in this thread, the commissioner of the American Athletic Conference says it's unlikely that a basketball only school would be invited to that conference.

ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• I'm not smart about football. I need it explained why The American will be a step up for Memphis. The automatic bowl goes away after this year.
          In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
            I'm not smart about football. I need it explained why The American will be a step up for Memphis. The automatic bowl goes away after this year.
            Because they'll be playing Louisville?

Oh, that goes away after this year, too.

Basically they added Cincinnati, who are good. Also 3-9 USF and 5-7 UConn, who are, of course, terrible. So it's Conference USA adding one good team and two bad teams. They're losing the AQ, their best remaining team, they're getting raided for all of their remaining bowl games ...
            Originally posted by BleacherReport
            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• With that answer maybe they should think about how to improve basketball.
              In the fast lane

Comment

I'm not smart about football. I need it explained why The American will be a step up for Memphis. The automatic bowl goes away after this year.
                Money...we will stand to make around 3x what we made off CUSA in the AAC (990k v. 2.86 million)

Exposure...the AACs contract with ESPN offers us better exposure than CUSAs contract with CBS-CS

Competition...Cincy, UConn, Navy, UCF, USF, Tulsa > UTSA, ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU, UAB

it's not like we're moving to the SEC or something...but it's much better than CUSA at this point.
                Last edited by UofMemphis; July 16, 2013, 03:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                  I didn't see this previously posted in this thread, the commissioner of the American Athletic Conference says it's unlikely that a basketball only school would be invited to that conference.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eague/2480437/
                  For now...in 2015 when Navy comes on board I expect that may change.
                  Last edited by UofMemphis; July 15, 2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

With that answer maybe they should think about how to improve basketball.
                    Basketball is where the AAC really appeals to Memphis...instead of trying to get excited about playing UAB, Southern Miss, or UTEP....we will be playing Cincy, UConn, and Temple...UCF and USF have so much hoops potential...and Tulsa/Houston have great history.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
                      Basketball is where the AAC really appeals to Memphis...instead of trying to get excited about playing UAB, Southern Miss, or UTEP....we will be playing Cincy, UConn, and Temple...UCF and USF have so much hoops potential...and Tulsa/Houston have great history.
                      so the hope is for ucon, cincy, temple and memphis to hold the conference up in basketball but there are no names to drive the football side. dont think cincy and ucon will stick around very long if there is more expansion with the BCS conferences.

truthfully, they just need to blow up some of these smaller conferences then consolidate them. but conference realignment makes little to no sense at times.

Comment

• The American will pretty much be a nonfactor in football and if/when Cincy and UConn bolt, it will lose a lot of it's basketball "power". It'll still be a better basketball conference with Temple and Memphis and potentially Tulsa, but it won't compete with the SEC, ACC, XII, B1G, MWC at that point.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          The American will pretty much be a nonfactor in football and if/when Cincy and UConn bolt, it will lose a lot of it's basketball "power". It'll still be a better basketball conference with Temple and Memphis and potentially Tulsa, but it won't compete with the SEC, ACC, XII, B1G, MWC at that point.
                          It's definitely better than Conference USA.

Definitely worse than the old Big East, in both sports. And the old Big East was already considered a joke in football.
                          Originally posted by BleacherReport
                          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                            It's definitely better than Conference USA.

Definitely worse than the old Big East, in both sports. And the old Big East was already considered a joke in football.
                            UConn, Cincy, and USF are stuck...see ACC Grant of Rights...Texas and Oklahoma are happy with their TV contract and 10 members...and unless UT and OU want to add some one, the Big 12 is staying at ten.

Unless BYU decides to join the Big 12, there are not any moves left for the "power 5" to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by lostshocker View Post
                              so the hope is for ucon, cincy, temple and memphis to hold the conference up in basketball but there are no names to drive the football side. dont think cincy and ucon will stick around very long if there is more expansion with the BCS conferences.

truthfully, they just need to blow up some of these smaller conferences then consolidate them. but conference realignment makes little to no sense at times.
                              They already "blew up" the WAC...

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
                                UConn, Cincy, and USF are stuck...see ACC Grant of Rights...Texas and Oklahoma are happy with their TV contract and 10 members...and unless UT and OU want to add some one, the Big 12 is staying at ten.

Unless BYU decides to join the Big 12, there are not any moves left for the "power 5" to make.
                                Please explain to me how the ACC Grant of Rights has anything to do with UConn, Cincy and USF. How does the grant of rights stop the ACC from adding members? How does the ACC Grant of Rights stop the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ... ?

See middle of article

Comment

Working...
                                X