American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Any realignment is about football and football only. Therefore, outside a basketball only conference, or a lessor conference than the Valley, we're stuck.
    I would suggest the same applies to KU.

Those that value KU as a national brand, compared to a football national brand, are significantly overestimating the importance of bball to the finances of college athletics.

Comment

• Wichita State isn't leaving the MVC. No matter what happens in the football world we are staying put. I'd go as far to say even if we win two basketball National Championships we are still going to be in the MVC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
        Veritas, I am interested in your thoughts regards the Shockers chances for gaining admission to a new Conference that could form should the Big 12 implode. Do you think the former Big 12 schools not picked up by the remaining P4 conferences would accept WSU should they form a new MidWest Conference? I am very doubtful the Shockers would be admitted regardless of the quality of their sports programs sans football.

IMO Texas and OU are the only Big 12 members that could be considered a lock to be picked up by the remaining P4 conferences; should they both join the B1G, Kansas will be left out of the P4 schools. The ACC, Pac12 and SEC will IMO have no interest in admitting Kansas, so the JayHawks need OU and Texas to join the SEC or maybe the PAC 12. If this happens, KU would most likely be competing with six other schools (Butler, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Iowa State, Villanova and West Virginia) for B1G membership. The ACC could help KU if they add Connecticut and Villanova to their conference.
        Did you pick out Butler and Nova in the above-bolded context by drawing them out of a hat filled with all non-football D1 schools, or was it more random than that? Butler and Nova are in no better shape in getting a P5 or hypothetical P4 invite than WSU is. That fact is really not debatable.
        Last edited by SHOCKvalue; July 3, 2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• If the Beaker and Grape fans could take their snowball fight to someplace other than a Shocker forum that'd be awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Any realignment is about football and football only. Therefore, outside a basketball only conference, or a lessor conference than the Valley, we're stuck.
            I still expect one non-football team to be added to the Big East to balance Navy's inclusion. Doesn't mean that team's us, but there will be a non-football member there eventually.
            Originally posted by BleacherReport
            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              Shocker1976. The only way in joining a new conference imo is to form a new conference similar to the NBE including basketball centric schools. Shox have formed a nice and powerful niche. I don't pine for the return of Shocker football like I used to.
              Yes, and would the number of such "basketball centric schools" located in the mid-west expand when the former Big 12 schools lose the $23 million a year they currently receive for being a member of a P5 conference?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                Did you pick out Butler and Nova in the above-bolded context by drawing them out of a hat filled with all non-football D1 schools, or was it more random than that? Butler and Nova are in no better shape in getting a P5 or hypothetical P4 invite than WSU is. That fact is really not debatable.
                Butler and Villanova were selected as IMO they would provide the B1G selection committee with a comparable football program to Kansas; are located within the current B1G Conference geographical footprint; and are basketball centric schools as is Kansas.

The fact that these two schools have a football program that could be a "doormat" (like Kansas football) for other hypothetical P4 schools IMO does provide them with an advantage over WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                  If I remember correctly, during the first round of realignment talk when Texas was about to disband the big 12, ku and ksu were on the outside looking in at being invited to a major football conference.
                  Are you able to provide a third party reference to support this statement?

Comment

Are you able to provide a third party reference to support this statement?
                    I seem to remember that too. KSU was definitely on the oitside with iowa state. KU was speculated to be picked up by the big 10 but many werent sure at all about it.

Texas, OU, TTech, and OSU were going to the PAC12, mizzou was originally supposed to go to the big 10. A&M was going SEC the whole time. I cant remember Baylor, and TCU wasnt a member yet. Baylor would be on the outside too this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                      I still expect one non-football team to be added to the Big East to balance Navy's inclusion. Doesn't mean that team's us, but there will be a non-football member there eventually.
                      All that convoluted thinking has confused Rlh04d to the point that he now thinks Navy's football team plays as a member of the New Big East - just too funny a post from this childish know it all.

As he took his ball home in a snit, perhaps one of you that he has not placed on ignore will inform him that Navy football competes in the American Athletic Conference.

Comment

I am probably the only Shocker fan, who feel this way, but I wish the Shocks were in the Big East.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

All that convoluted thinking has confused Rlh04d to the point that he now thinks Navy's football team plays as a member of the New Big East - just too funny a post from this childish know it all.

As he took his ball home in a snit, perhaps one of you that he has not placed on ignore will inform him that Navy football competes in the American Athletic Conference.
                          Leave him alone. I have sure Rlh04d will have an answer for your charge.

You have had your moments of ignorance, particularly with AD/VP Sexton.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            I seem to remember that too. KSU was definitely on the oitside with iowa state. KU was speculated to be picked up by the big 10 but many werent sure at all about it.

Texas, OU, TTech, and OSU were going to the PAC12, mizzou was originally supposed to go to the big 10. A&M was going SEC the whole time. I cant remember Baylor, and TCU wasnt a member yet. Baylor would be on the outside too this time.
                            That sounds about right on what I remember. I was surprised that ku wasn't highly sought out, but it was all about football, and no thought what so ever to basketball.

I will see if I can find the articles mentioning this...
                            Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                            Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

I think you mean AAC, not Big East.

Comment

Butler and Villanova were selected as IMO they would provide the B1G selection committee with a comparable football program to Kansas; are located within the current B1G Conference geographical footprint; and are basketball centric schools as is Kansas.

The fact that these two schools have a football program that could be a "doormat" (like Kansas football) for other hypothetical P4 schools IMO does provide them with an advantage over WSU.
                                I dislike KU as much as most Shocker fans (perhaps more), so I'm not sure if your inference that KU football is essentially interchangeable with Butler and Villanova football is a dig or a joke, or if you are actually serious. I hope it is the former, rather than the latter.

KU plays D1 FBS football (85 scholarships), has a football stadium with a capacity of around 50K, football-only revenues of $23M, and an overall AD budget pushing $100M.

Nova plays D1 FCS football (63 scholarships), has a football stadium that seats only 12,500 (less than minimum required for FBS entry), football-only revenues of $6M, and an overall AD budget of $35M.

Butler also plays D1 FCS football (63 scholarships), but in a conference that does not even allow for scholarships, has a football stadium that seats 7,500 (again, not even close to getting your foot in the FBS door in this regard), football-only revenues of $900K, and an overall AD budget of $17.5M.

For context, Wichita State has an actual, but small, 30,000 seat football stadium that would allow for FBS inclusion if we had a football program, and we spend almost 30% more on athletics than Butler does, a gap that will widen even further after the bump from 3G's new salary, and the ticket price increases.

If Butler or Nova were to ever make the jump to KU's level of football program (as pathetic as it is amongst the big boys), it would make what Bill Snyder did at K-State look like child's play. Nova football would fit fine in all regards in the MVFC; Butler is not even at the level of the MVFC. The gap between Nova and B1G football is absolutely massive; the gap between Butler and B1G football is something NASA would measure in light years.

Comment

Working...
                                X