No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just wanna know are we leaving the MVC and starting in the AAC this coming season? If so can hurry tf up!

Comment

• Katz said it was "too late" for 2017-18.

So that's the real question, whether for him, PaulS, or anyone actually involved in the discussions: WHY would it be too late for 2017-18? Deadlines can usually be bought out.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        Katz said it was "too late" for 2017-18.

So that's the real question, whether for him, PaulS, or anyone actually involved in the discussions: WHY would it be too late for 2017-18? Deadlines can usually be bought out.
        It's never too late especially if we're in mid March?! I think they're messing with us. They're probably already printing AAC shocker shirts as we speak

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Katz said it was "too late" for 2017-18.

It is 100% about TV money. That's the only thing that makes sense. If the AAC wants us, which I assume it does, nothing makes any sense about waiting until 2018 except that big daddy ESPN says "Go to your room."

Comment

• I gotta tell 'ya, it's hard to sit here and read the comments in this thread. You all are bordering on, to quote Dickens, "...giddy as a schoolboy..." about this impending move. And I don't blame you for one minute. Take the bull by the horns and make your own future. At least I'll be able to be an "all-season" WSU fan now, instead of having to keep it under wraps until my Suckamores get blown out in St. Louis.

I do hate the thought of losing yet another long term conference rival (that might be a bit strong, as I doubt anyone in Wichita actually looks at ISU as a rival), because I'm just positive that the MVC will replace you all with Northwestern South Dakota School of Shorthand and Business Etiquette. Our two schools have had some great moments over the years. Who can forget the beatdown we put on the Shockers in 1979 in which Larry Bird set the school single game scoring record? Or "The Fight" in 1989, or us coming back from 25 down with 10 minutes to go in Marshall and KMac's respective first seasons? Or the single most classy move I've ever seen in a college basketball game when Ron Baker exhorted the fans in St. Louis to give Jake Odum a standing ovation as he checked out for the final time in the MVC Championship game? Yeah, there were some good times...

I hope you all do well in the AAC. I'm sure you will, simply because winners win. And Marshall has taken "winning culture" to a new level at Wichita State. I admit to being jealous. The only culture we have at ISU is a whiny "...we have no mooooooooney..." Smh...

Oh yeah, I have a close friend who works in an MVC athletic department. He told me today that Wichita to the AAC is a done deal, all the but announcement. So, best wishes to all of Shocker Nation. When you get to the Final Four next year, just give a little nod to us little people, and where it all started for you!!! :encouragement:

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
              Would WSU surrender the annual >$1 million labeled as NCAA distribution revenue?
              Not really the full million, because no scenario exists where we stay long enough to get a full payout instead we would take the 50% option. Would WSU trade roughly 1.2 million in NCAA revenue and conference distributions for 2 years of nothing(or just our share of what we generate in NCAA credits)? I sure hope so, it would be incredibly short sighted not to. Also consider that we with a 50% option we would be giving up a chunk of what we will earn next year, and if the AAC is willing to give us our shares of distributions next couple years only with nothing from other bids it doesn't differ from the Valley as it stands since it's a single bid league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                Would WSU surrender the annual >$1 million labeled as NCAA distribution revenue?
                Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

No not all of it. Just the basketball portion.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndyTreeFan View Post
                  I gotta tell 'ya, it's hard to sit here and read the comments in this thread. You all are bordering on, to quote Dickens, "...giddy as a schoolboy..." about this impending move. And I don't blame you for one minute. Take the bull by the horns and make your own future. At least I'll be able to be an "all-season" WSU fan now, instead of having to keep it under wraps until my Suckamores get blown out in St. Louis.

I do hate the thought of losing yet another long term conference rival (that might be a bit strong, as I doubt anyone in Wichita actually looks at ISU as a rival), because I'm just positive that the MVC will replace you all with Northwestern South Dakota School of Shorthand and Business Etiquette. Our two schools have had some great moments over the years. Who can forget the beatdown we put on the Shockers in 1979 in which Larry Bird set the school single game scoring record? Or "The Fight" in 1989, or us coming back from 25 down with 10 minutes to go in Marshall and KMac's respective first seasons? Or the single most classy move I've ever seen in a college basketball game when Ron Baker exhorted the fans in St. Louis to give Jake Odum a standing ovation as he checked out for the final time in the MVC Championship game? Yeah, there were some good times...

I hope you all do well in the AAC. I'm sure you will, simply because winners win. And Marshall has taken "winning culture" to a new level at Wichita State. I admit to being jealous. The only culture we have at ISU is a whiny "...we have no mooooooooney..." Smh...

Oh yeah, I have a close friend who works in an MVC athletic department. He told me today that Wichita to the AAC is a done deal, all the but announcement. So, best wishes to all of Shocker Nation. When you get to the Final Four next year, just give a little nod to us little people, and where it all started for you!!! :encouragement:
                  Seriously, IndyTreeFan that made me a little teary eyed. I usually have a Chuck Norris ability to suck my tears back into their ducts but that was some nice prose. Thanks.
                  Professional gas passer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                    It is 100% about TV money. That's the only thing that makes sense. If the AAC wants us, which I assume it does, nothing makes any sense about waiting until 2018 except that big daddy ESPN says "Go to your room."
                    Exactly. AAC TV contract doesn't expire till 2020, with renegotiating beginning next year. AAC wants Wichita locked in by the time negotiations start, but has no reason to water down next season's revenue by an additional school. Secondly, don't sweat leaving your remaining NCAA credits back in the Valley. That money is peanuts compared to what you'll make in program growth, TV money, more NCAA wins due to better seeds, etc. (It's a shame the Valley has long insisted on divvying up NCAA credits exactly equally instead of letting the school(s) that earn them keep a greater portion, like the BIG EAST does.)

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      What does AAC + WSU equal?
                      That is easy: AAC+WSU= Casey's Famous for Pizza.

Comment

• Honestly, with the team we have next year, I would opt to take $0 from AAC's current TV shares next year to get us playing 2017-2018. What's our opportunity cost? $82k, if someone's prior post was accurate, in MVC $. Pffft, hell I'll start a go-fund me to recoup that $82k to play AAC ball next year.

But, I don't have all the info, maybe those in power would think that's the dumbest idea ever.

Comment

To what degree, or percent, is the AAC greater than the MVC?
                          Last edited by Aargh; March 23, 2017, 03:41 PM.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            If he got kicked off Holy Land for being passive aggressive towards CU or the BIGEAST, I like @Bearcat_Bounce even more now.

At any rate, thanks for the well wishes. I know the transition was good for CU and I'm hoping it will have similar results for us--plus our obligatory NCAA tournament wins ya know... :)
                            Well, I already consider you guys with us. Along the lines of the above, please beat the $#/+ out of any Big East teams that you schedule. Smugness (as usual) from a Big East view about us/y'all that I posted on the AAC board ...

AACbbs: The #1 Board for American Athletic Conference sports on the internet.

Comment

To what degree, or percent, is the AAC greater than the MVC?

Comment

• Season ticket renewals coming up, AAC conference games vs MVC would be huge selling point I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X