American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    According to these sports talk guys (forward to 25 minutes in), WSU has seven votes with one on the fence. Eight votes are needed. That show appears to have aired yesterday.

Edit: I think that's a Cincinnati radio show.
    Yeah. Even with that, they too sounded quite sure this was inevitable.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

According to these sports talk guys (forward to 25 minutes in), WSU has seven votes with one on the fence. Eight votes are needed. That show appears to have aired yesterday.
      I saw that on the CNbbs board earlier today. Decided not to link it here, because at face value it sounds much more tenuous than it really is.

They do obviously make the 7 vote reference, but go on to say it is a slam dunk likelihood at this point. The show's guest (the guy with the 7 vote reference) is apparently pretty well thought of in the Cincy media circle, and was an open skeptic on the Cincy to B12 rumors last year when everyone else called it a done deal. Meaning he doesn't call something unless he has good reason to, and he's calling WSU to the AAC a "slam dunk".

I think the gist of it is that the guy has knowledge of 7 known yes votes, not that there aren't more at this point in time, or that it is currently 7-5 or 7-4 or whatever.

Anyways... not to poo poo the link or anything.
      Last edited by SHOCKvalue; April 5, 2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Maybe what we need is a delegation from Shockernet to go meet with Mike Aresco and the AAC member presidents and give them the Herlihy Boy treatment.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
          If the vote has not alreay taken place, then this is a cluster f**k. Too many "sources" for this to be anything but a done deal. WSU does not go on record saying "we would accept if invited," unless they know there is an invite.
          Totally agree.

Comment

• IMG_0674.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
              I saw that on the CNbbs board earlier today. Decided not to link it here, because at face value it sounds a little more tenuous than it really is.

They do obviously make the 7 vote reference, but go on to say it is a slam dunk likelihood at this point. The show's guest (the guy with the 7 vote reference) is apparently pretty well thought of in the Cincy media circle, and was an open skeptic on the Cincy to B12 rumors last year when everyone else called it a done deal. Meaning he doesn't call something unless he has good reason to.

Anyways... not to poo poo the link or anything.
              I don't think it's necessarily a negative. It was just nice to hear why an invitation hasn't been extended yet. I don't feel any worse about the possibility.

However, some of the lustre of the league is wearing off, with UConn only having five returning players, and now two of Memphis' best players are transferring:

Gary Parrish
              @Gary:ParrishCBS

Dedric and KJ Lawson have announced they’re transferring from Memphis. Tubby Smith just lost two of his top three players. Two Memphis kids.

Comment

I don't think it's necessarily a negative. It was just nice to hear why an invitation hasn't been extended yet. I don't feel any worse about the possibility.

However, some of the lustre of the league is wearing off, with UConn only having five returning players, and now two of Memphis' best players are transferring:
                Wasnt part of the requirement of the Memphis job was that the new coach had to hire the Lawson dad to keep them?

Comment

You guys have the votes and are already in. It's just logistics at the moment.

Yes, our roster is depleted at this point, but newly hired Assistant Coach Chills (from Washington) is now recruiting his top 5 Washington class to UCONN. I think we are in a better spot than Memphis right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    Wasnt part of the requirement of the Memphis job was that the new coach had to hire the Lawson dad to keep them?
                    I remember it was a big deal. Having two players leave who's dad is on the staff probably puts Memphis into the dumpster fire category.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                      Crap. Not only are UCONN players leaving, but now a couple Memphis players are leaving too.

https://twitter.com/JasonSmith929/status/849659357226729472

L. Jason Smith‏Verified account @JasonSmith929

Letter I just read over the air from Memphis forwards KJ and Dedric Lawson. Both will transfer. Absolute bombshell.
                      Sadly this was expected.. lots of turmoil between Daddy Lawson and Tubby.

Going to be rebuilding mode for Memphis for a couple of years now.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                        You guys have the votes and are already in. It's just logistics at the moment.

Yes, our roster is depleted at this point, but newly hired Assistant Coach Chills (from Washington) is now recruiting his top 5 Washington class to UCONN. I think we are in a better spot than Memphis right now.
                        I think everyone here and across the nation thinks UCONN and Memphis will both be fine long-term. Far too much tradition, cache, fan support, and fiscal support to just disappear.

Sucks that neither will be competitive next year though. That'd be a lot of fun.

Comment

• Live look at the UCONN locker room right now:

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                            If the vote has not alreay taken place, then this is a cluster f**k. Too many "sources" for this to be anything but a done deal. WSU does not go on record saying "we would accept if invited," unless they know there is an invite.
                            Call me Debbie Downer, but I am not liking how this is playing out.
                            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMOOfan98 View Post

Ya...I think everyone saw this blowing up in Memphis' face. From what I've heard Daddy Lawson is LaVar Ball Jr. IMO it's never a good idea to hire a coach only to get his kid(s) to play at the school.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMOOfan98 View Post

The downside of hiring a parent to secure a recruit (or in this case multiple recruits). Never cared for the practice myself although paid off big for KU with Danny Manning I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X