American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    The problem is that a lot of those schools are cyclical with their success. Ten years ago, Oral Roberts would have been a great addition to a strong midwest conference. This year, ORU is sitting with a 2-13 record. Northern Iowa, after their two magical years, is back to the rut of needing to build up success again.

C'mon, AAC! Make this happen and deliver us from this cesspool!
    Yeah, I suppose I should have clarified my statement further. By "top" I don't necessarily mean recent performance in and of itself, but also fan support (butts-in-seats and fiscal), administrative support, long term trend-line, etc. For example, I would add Bradley to this new league, even though right now they are sucking hind teet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      I lost track over the holidays. Is this still a thing that could actually be a thing? Or did one guy say something stupid to a reporter and we're all excited over nothing?
      It's a legitimate thing.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Kennedy on this morning sports show said what he as learned about the AAC is their commish would be open to adding WSU, but the schools don't have any interest of adding another team(s) unless somebody leaves the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          Kennedy on this morning sports show said what he as learned about the AAC is their commish would be open to adding WSU, but the schools don't have any interest of adding another team(s) unless somebody leaves the conference.
          Well that sucks. It also doesn't make much sense as adding WSU would make 12 teams for all sports and nicely balanced divisions.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            Kennedy on this morning sports show said what he as learned about the AAC is their commish would be open to adding WSU, but the schools don't have any interest of adding another team(s) unless somebody leaves the conference.
            Where are Paul and Rothstein on this? Hmm

Comment

• I would be interested to see which programs are in favor and which are not.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                Well that sucks. It also doesn't make much sense as adding WSU would make 12 teams for all sports and nicely balanced divisions.
                I might be reading through the lines but it sounded like the (some?) schools didn't want their piece of the pie diluted.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                  I would be interested to see which programs are in favor and which are not.
                  I'm gonna guess that all of the eastern/coastal schools wouldn't be in favor of 1000 mile trips to get their asses bent in.

Sorta similar to the Valley.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I'm gonna guess that all of the eastern/coastal schools wouldn't be in favor of 1000 mile trips to get their asses bent in.

Sorta similar to the Valley.
                    That would be my guess as well. I believe that Tulsa, Houston, Cincy and Memphis would lean in favor of us. Not sure bout Uconn and Temple. But there are definitely some Valleyesque schools in that conference that would be anti almost everything.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                      That would be my guess as well. I believe that Tulsa, Houston, Cincy and Memphis would lean in favor of us. Not sure bout Uconn and Temple. But there are definitely some Valleyesque schools in that conference that would be anti almost everything.
                      Adding a school would shrink the pot. Follow the money trail.

Comment

• Can't we waive our cut of any TV deal for like 3-5 years or something? It's not like it would hurt relative to the current setup.

Comment

• No shortage of gamesmanship on this stuff.

AAC may very well "need" us too from a tv perspective - their contract is up for renewal/renegotiation, and their worth as a football conference has been confirmed to be something awfully close to jack **** (there is no way they will dramatically improve their fees for the fall). Some have speculated ESPN is behind these discussions from the get go as incentive to kepe/boost the AAC's value from the hoops side of the table. There is no way we are getting a portion of the football "side" of the TV contract (bifurcating the value is probably where the real difficulty lies) but we are the midas touch for the (albeit less valuable) hoops side of that document.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                            No shortage of gamesmanship on this stuff.

AAC may very well "need" us too from a tv perspective - their contract is up for renewal/renegotiation, and their worth as a football conference has been confirmed to be something awfully close to jack **** (there is no way they will dramatically improve their fees for the fall). Some have speculated ESPN is behind these discussions from the get go as incentive to kepe/boost the AAC's value from the hoops side of the table. There is no way we are getting a portion of the football "side" of the TV contract (bifurcating the value is probably where the real difficulty lies) but we are the midas touch for the (albeit less valuable) hoops side of that document.

Well said!

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                              No shortage of gamesmanship on this stuff.

Indeed. Adding Wichita would seem to improve the AAC tv deal(s). I think they know this already and will probably have to do a little arm twisting to the lower schools in the conference to come to terms...but once they think about it some more...it'll make sense to 'em. Me thinks that is.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• My guess is that Wichita State will be asked to join. Actually, thats not true, I believe, based on a purely speculative effort, Wichita State will petition to join the AAC, at which point, they will be approved membership. Nobody from the AAC will contact anyone from Wichita State, the AAC would never be in the middle of anything resembling tortious interference. All on the up and up, Wichita State will simply guess that they would be approved.

Anyway, after painful and lively debate for maybe five or so minutes, the existing AAC members would hash out an understanding where Wichita State would join and receive less than full basketball shares for three to five years.

This may happen this year or next.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X