No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make no mistake, the report we're waiting on is virtually meaningless. I believe the decision was made months ago and what we are currently seeing is nothing more than a fund-raising campaign.

Comment

• the cost is coming in below whaere I thought it would be. $10 mill in startup costs and $20 mill in stadium renovations. Then there's the $10 mill a year it costs, which can't be expected to be covered by revenues and would probably continue until WSU could start pulling in some TV revenue to offset that number.

That would be starting football "on the cheap". Cessna would not be an attractive venue - it's more likely it would be a venue that could "get by" until there was enough revenue and ticket demand to make something better feasible. That's a pretty down-to-earth and logical way to approach the situation.

The "successful" example cited was (I forget the school's name, and it's been removed from the article) a school in North Carolina that had joined Conference USA. I wouldn't consider a move to Conference USA as something to strive for.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        the cost is coming in below whaere I thought it would be. $10 mill in startup costs and $20 mill in stadium renovations. Then there's the $10 mill a year it costs, which can't be expected to be covered by revenues and would probably continue until WSU could start pulling in some TV revenue to offset that number.

That would be starting football "on the cheap". Cessna would not be an attractive venue - it's more likely it would be a venue that could "get by" until there was enough revenue and ticket demand to make something better feasible. That's a pretty down-to-earth and logical way to approach the situation.

The "successful" example cited was (I forget the school's name, and it's been removed from the article) a school in North Carolina that had joined Conference USA. I wouldn't consider a move to Conference USA as something to strive for.
        UNC Charlotte
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Back in the late 80's & early 90's, when I was recruited for football and baseball by KCAC (NAIA member schools) and NCAA Division II for track the NAIA was considered on par with NCAA Division III schools.

It may have changed during the past, ummmm twenty seven years. But I don't think it has changed.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
            Back in the late 80's & early 90's, when I was recruited for football and baseball by KCAC (NAIA member schools) and NCAA Division II for track the NAIA was considered on par with NCAA Division III schools.

It may have changed during the past, ummmm twenty seven years. But I don't think it has changed.
            My son is being recruited for cross country and track as he is a junior now in high school. The recruiting websites put you in "buckets" by times and they have told him his times are JUCO, NCAA III or NAIA type times. There is a big jump from JUCO/NCAA III/NAIA to NCAA II and I would say a smaller jump to Division I. I keep pretty informed with the local/city league distance runners and even the best around usually go DII. I have only heard of one distance runner in the last three years to go DI in this area. 2014 and 2015 the best city league distance runners went to Pitt St and Newman.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
              My son is being recruited for cross country and track as he is a junior now in high school. The recruiting websites put you in "buckets" by times and they have told him his times are JUCO, NCAA III or NAIA type times. There is a big jump from JUCO/NCAA III/NAIA to NCAA II and I would say a smaller jump to Division I. I keep pretty informed with the local/city league distance runners and even the best around usually go DII. I have only heard of one distance runner in the last three years to go DI in this area. 2014 and 2015 the best city league distance runners went to Pitt St and Newman.
              WSU has 5 local distance runners on their rosters. Gage Garcia out of Bishop Carroll and Brandon Lewis out of Derby or on the Men's roster. Deidra Walker out of Maize and Sarah, Savannah and Suzie Wright out of Douglas are on the women's team. I suspect their track scholarships are pretty minimal.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                WSU has 5 local distance runners on their rosters. Gage Garcia out of Bishop Carroll and Brandon Lewis out of Derby or on the Men's roster. Deidra Walker out of Maize and Sarah, Savannah and Suzie Wright out of Douglas are on the women's team. I suspect their track scholarships are pretty minimal.
                I was mainly talking about the last three years in regards to runners and just the guys. I know Gage and he started out at Newman and then transferred to WSU. Have never seen Brandon Lewis run as my son runs for Bishop Carroll and for some reason Derby is never at the same meets. Don't know what kind of scholarship track/cross country offers, but yes I would agree it can't be much.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  Comparing North Dakota State and Missouri State, might I discuss scheduling? Guaranteeing a win for the Bears this season in football is a home game against the always tough Moundbuilders of Southwestern College. NDSU plays only FCS and above. Last year, the Bears secured their only victory against NCAA D-2 Chadron State. Apparently, the Bears feel better about their team this year, as Southwestern College is D-1. NAIA D-1, but still D-1. Or are they NAIA D-3? I don't know, they're from Kansas, somebody figure it out.
                  Your obsession with Missouri State is sick! Get a life!
                  Last edited by Jtaylor; May 18, 2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jtaylor View Post
                    Well I think that we can all agree that anyone who would spend much time thinking about Missouri State needs to get a life.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

What about your obsession with WSU?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It's not an obsession, it's my laziness, Missouri State is just the low hanging fruit.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• MSU probably couldn't get a home game against Pittsburg State. Oh, wait - they wanted to win a game.

Southwestern College? In Winfield? This should be fun.

I have a nephew who got his masters in Sports Administration while working in the athletic department at WSU. He's the Assistant Athletic Director at Southwestern.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Southwestern played OU to a pretty close game last year losing by a score of 17-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              MSU probably couldn't get a home game against Pittsburg State. Oh, wait - they wanted to win a game.
                              Lolz. I hear stuff like this from MIAA honks all the time. NW Missouri people and Pitt State fans. Even a bad MVFC team would roll them. The ugliest chick on The Bachelor is still significantly hotter than my ex-girlfriend. Same thing here.

Comment

• Fort Hays is building a new track facility for 3.1 mil, KU built what is an absolute top notch track facility for 11 mil. Probably could build a descent track facility for 5-6 mil. Rip out the track, tear down the "extensions" and press box that were added to Cessna way back when, build a very nice press box/club seating back on the west side along with some second level seating, leave the east side alone, put in turf, scoreboard, and then gotta build some sort of facility to house it all on the north end. Leaves plenty of room for additional seating on both ends and a second level on the east side incase it actually takes off. If not then the seating is just right and won't look empty all the time. Maybe something like this;

Ugh using Cessna stadium is crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X