No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big East is a pipe dream folks, let it go. We are the polar opposite of every school in that conference (City-State vs Private U). I don't care what the Bluejay AD said, its not happening and he's an idiot for even floating it out there. It is AAC or bust and if we get in, hopefully we drop the "State" and go back to being just Wichita as it better fits the profile of that conference.

Comment

• MWC versus AAC. MWC held their basketball tournament in Vegas. AAC held theirs in Orlando. So, do you want to spend a March weekend in Vegas or in Orlando?
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
        basketball, a sport meant to be played indoors during winter/snow, is not so popular out west, relatively speaking.
        ??? I beg to differ; Oregon and Oregon State basketball, Washington basketball, Gonzaga, UCLA, UNLV, etc. Those schools have basketball programs that have HIGH popularity!

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
          MWC versus AAC. MWC held their basketball tournament in Vegas. AAC held theirs in Orlando. So, do you want to spend a March weekend in Vegas or in Orlando?
          Why yes I do
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

basketball, a sport meant to be played indoors during winter/snow, is not so popular out west, relatively speaking. football and baseball, outdoor sports, rule in that region. mwc doesn't seem like a good fit. besides, top 3 of wichita state, uni and ilsu, in that order, in the mvc is arguably better than the mwc now. mwc is sinking, and with a comissioner that makes public statements like that towards wichita state, who brings the college basketball heat, who wants to know about 'em? not me.

'too bad the aac is going to fall apart here shortly (because the big-12 is looking to poach). that would have been ideal. adding wichita state to that?! basketball intensity.
            According to Memphis fan, the AAC ain't losing any teams for a very very long time.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Personally I think the Valley gets to keep us...

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                ??? I beg to differ; Oregon and Oregon State basketball, Washington basketball, Gonzaga, UCLA, UNLV, etc. Those schools have basketball programs that have HIGH popularity!
                that's where the "relatively speaking" part comes in. i'm well aware of all of those teams basketball history. oregon and oregon state beat ucla in one weekend in 1974 yada, yada

mwc is a basketball dud, buddy. damn near a lateral move from the mvc.

Comment

• Question...How much does attendance go up at other potential conference foes when the Shockers roll into town???
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

that's where the "relatively speaking" part comes in. i'm well aware of all of those teams basketball history. oregon and oregon state beat ucla in one weekend in 1974 yada, yada

mwc is a basketball dud, buddy. damn near a lateral move from the mvc.

Right now, they aren't producing regularly but there is a lot of potential in the MWC to be a Top 6-8 conference most years. UNLV, SDSU, and UNM are Top Tier teams potentially most years, and some of the other teams have some potential. SJSU is an anchor on the conference just as some Valley teams are. I thought that it was interesting that some of the fans want the conference to bring in Gonzaga and WSU which would make a very good basketball conference. The question remains whether we have the donors who are willing to spend big money on football for the trade off.

Comment

• MWC is not a lateral move in relation to the MVC. It's not as good as AAC but it's above the MVC.

Let's just do what I would consider top 3 programs from each league over last 10 years, not including WSU.

San Diego State, New Mexico, UNLV.

UNI, then whatever two teams you want to include cause I can't think of another with more than a year of success so doesn't really matter. Now throw in a few descent years of Colorado St, Boise, and Utah St a few years back and it's actually no contest at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                        MWC is not a lateral move in relation to the MVC. It's not as good as AAC but it's above the MVC.

Let's just do what I would consider top 3 programs from each league over last 10 years, not including WSU.

San Diego State, New Mexico, UNLV.

UNI, then whatever two teams you want to include cause I can't think of another with more than a year of success so doesn't really matter. Now throw in a few descent years of Colorado St, Boise, and Utah St a few years back and it's actually no contest at all.
                        yes, it is a lateral move. uni alone has had far more success recently than every team you mentioned, except for maybe sdsu. did you watch any of the ncaa tournament? and of course you must include wichita state.

there's three ncaa tournament wins between wichita state and uni in 2016. how many ncaa tournament wins did the mwc bag this last year? weren't they a one bid league anyway?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                          The Big East is a pipe dream folks, let it go. We are the polar opposite of every school in that conference (City-State vs Private U). I don't care what the Bluejay AD said, its not happening and he's an idiot for even floating it out there. It is AAC or bust and if we get in, hopefully we drop the "State" and go back to being just Wichita as it better fits the profile of that conference.
                          Beware of those who tell you absolutely what is or isn't.

Comment

yes, it is a lateral move. uni alone has had far more success recently than every team you mentioned, except for maybe sdsu. did you watch any of the ncaa tournament? and of course you must include wichita state.

there's three ncaa tournament wins between wichita state and uni in 2016. how many ncaa tournament wins did the mwc bag this last year? weren't they a one bid league anyway?
                            No you would not include Wichita State in such a discussion. I'm not sure how this isn't obvious. Why would WSU's performance be considered relevant in WSU's consideration of which conference they are in? Are you claiming that WSU should stay in the Valley because if we leave it would mean no longer being in a league with Wichita State?
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• I really have no objection to the Big East, AAC, or MWC and would be excited about the prospects of being in any one of those 3.

As bad a season that the MWC had, it was not that bad. The Valley finished at #13, the MWC at #12. However, the gap between the two conferences was over .0140 in the RPI standing. That means that if the MWC dropped .0140 in RPI, they'd still be ahead of the Valley. If they added .0140 in RPI, they would have moved up to #9, just behind the AAC. Also, they had only 2 schools 200+ in RPI (although San Jose St was "Valley bottom-feeder bad"). The AAC had 4 schools. Also, wasn't the MWC #1 or 2 just a few years ago? I know they didn't do much with that standing in the Dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                                No you would not include Wichita State in such a discussion. I'm not sure how this isn't obvious. Why would WSU's performance be considered relevant in WSU's consideration of which conference they are in? Are you claiming that WSU should stay in the Valley because if we leave it would mean no longer being in a league with Wichita State?
                                mwc vs mvc. just like the yearly get together that has started up again, because the conferences are so similar. once again, you underrate the mvc. shockers in the aac would get me excited- in the mwc, not so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X