No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The track at Cessna stadium shouldn't be an issue. It could certainly be relocated and a new track/field facility made with likely benefits for both programs. There are certainly a ton of FBS stadiums with vestigial tracks in place (torn up an replaced with turf for the most part) and renovations could make a Cessna a solid facility.

Comment

• My wish would be to do minimal repairs(make it structurally sound) to Cessna Stadium and play there for 3-5 years, until we move into and brand new stadium and enter our first season in FBS. Pouring money into Cessna stadium isn't a great idea, unless you can find someone to fund both projects. Use that money as part of a new stadium complex.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        I am a supporter of Wichita State football but the thought of watching games in Cessna Stadium does not get me excited.
        Does the thought of watching a really crappy, losing FCS football team in a shiny new stadium excite you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          Does the thought of watching a really crappy, losing FCS football team in a shiny new stadium excite you?
          Only if it gets us into a better basketball conference.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
            Only if it gets us into a better basketball conference.
            I think that's a fair answer. I'm not a big football proponent, and I just hope that those who claim to be are prepared to sit in 40 degree weather and watch WSU lose to not great teams. That's the level of excitement that is needed going in, or it's never going to work. And I believe there are some people that would be genuinely excited about that, and that's great. Just not sure how many.

If you're as excited about football as you were about going to all the games in your basketball season ticket package in 1995, then great.

Comment

For 5 years, ya, probably.

Comment

For 5 years, ya, probably.
                So what are we going to do after 5 years? Kill the program again?

Comment

So what are we going to do after 5 years? Kill the program again?
                  Quit losing.

Comment

Quit losing.
                    And if they don't?

Comment

And if they don't?
                      And if they do?

Comment

• Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
                        And if they do?
                        Then I presume things will take care of themselves. But that isn't really the point. Betting hundreds of millions of dollars that a start-up football team is going to be a winner in 5 years is not a recipe for success. It's just people being excited about a shiny new toy somebody rich let them play with. And once the shine wears off, then what? People need to be committed for the long haul.

Comment

And if they don't?
                          Try again with a new coach. If the cycle happens 4-5 times then you can call bringing back football a failure because we will suck forever and it won't be boosting enrollment, revenues, or the campus experience and it won't be boosting us to a new conference either. Is that what you wanted me to say? I don't think many people are thinking bringing back football is a no-brainer that will guarantee success. It's obviously a huge risk but it's a risk that I think we should take.

Comment

Try again with a new coach. If the cycle happens 4-5 times then you can call bringing back football a failure because we will suck forever and it won't be boosting enrollment, revenues, or the campus experience and it won't be boosting us to a new conference either. Is that what you wanted me to say? I don't think many people are thinking bringing back football is a no-brainer that will guarantee success. It's obviously a huge risk but it's a risk that I think we should take.
                            So if the football team goes 2-9 in year 5, and they hire a new coach for year 6, are you still buying season tickets? If you and several thousand of your friends are, then I agree that it could be a risk worth taking. The point isn't whether the team wins or loses. It's about whether there is really enough support IF they lose for 5, 8, 12 years. If they win, things will take care of themselves.

Comment

I think that's a fair answer. I'm not a big football proponent, and I just hope that those who claim to be are prepared to sit in 40 degree weather and watch WSU lose to not great teams. That's the level of excitement that is needed going in, or it's never going to work. And I believe there are some people that would be genuinely excited about that, and that's great. Just not sure how many.

If you're as excited about football as you were about going to all the games in your basketball season ticket package in 1995, then great.
                              I'm not a huge football proponent either. I would go to some games if we had a team, but wouldn't have season tickets unless they were considerably less expensive than basketball season tickets, and I don't imagine that being the case. I enjoy football, but the economic impacts are something I haven't and probably never will look into very deeply. If it's determined to be an economically sound decision, then go for it!! Basketball is and always will be number one to me when it comes to Shocker athletics.
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

So if the football team goes 2-9 in year 5, and they hire a new coach for year 6, are you still buying season tickets? If you and several thousand of your friends are, then I agree that it could be a risk worth taking. The point isn't whether the team wins or loses. It's about whether there is really enough support IF they lose for 5, 8, 12 years. If they win, things will take care of themselves.
                                Yes, I would. How many others would? I couldn't tell you either.

Comment

Working...
                                X