No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very few of those schools appeal to me.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by da_bears View Post
      sup' shocker fans. So I see you guys think CU leaving is a doomsday senario for the MVC. I think it could be a good thing if everyone in the MVC had the balls to go FBS. MVFC football is rated higher than CUSA already. We could steal teams from CUSA/MAC/sunbelt if we were FBS and had equal TV revenue.

CU to C7
      Bradley to A10
      Drake/Eville to Horizon

MVC South
      Wichita State
      Missouri State
      Tulsa
      SIU
      Murray State
      Western Kentucky

MVC North
      UNI
      Ind St
      Marshall
      Ill St
      North Dakota State
      Northern Ill

What do you guys think of this all sports conference?
      WSU doesn't play any football. So how would they play FBS in two years?

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Very few of those schools appeal to me.
        I would rather be in a hoops conference with W. Kentucky and Tulsa than who we will end up replacing CU/Eville with which will be Summit or Horizon schools.

Comment

• I could do without Northern Illinois, NDSU, Marshall, Indiana State, UNI, SIU and Hillbilly State.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I could do without Northern Illinois, NDSU, Marshall, Indiana State, UNI, SIU and Hillbilly State.
            really? I guess you are expecting Uconn to join the MVC?

Comment

• The point is, the MVC isn't all that great and if it were to lose CU or WSU, it wouldn't be attractive to much anyone. That includes the schools that would be left. Or at least the schools that are willing to spend any sort of money. And an HSU fan like yourself talking about FBS football is laughable. I think WSU is more likely to be FBS before HSU is.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                Why is it funny to make fun of the Catholic religion? I'm Catholic and take offense to some of the comments above. I'm sure a good portion of the WSU fan base is Catholic as a good portion of the city is Catholic.
                My goodness, Shock -- lighten up. I'm Catholic too, and I think the Big Priest is a great name for the basketball C7.

I will give you this: Trueshock is an unfunny buffoon. But we have a few others too, and I can tell you from experience that the easiest thing to do is simply go into your settings and add him to your Ignore list. You'll be amazed at how much more pleasant reading Shockernet can be with a few judicious limitations on which posts you choose to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                  You combine that with what Trueshock said and it got my blood boiling. If it was just your quote, I think I would have been fine. Are you Catholic?
                  That silly stuff has your blood boiling? Oh my...

So you must have never heard me refer to Creighton's esteemed, "holy" chancellor as Father BJ huh? Seriously though, what has you so tense? Are you low on calories from fasting?

You know what gets my blood boiling? A bunch of so called religious colleges who purportedly share an oath to the "Holy Church" which entails conducting themselves with humility, kindness, charity, love, and patience. Yet when their athletic conference allows two "lower profile" schools to join, they publicly criticized their conference leaders for allowing these "lesser" schools to join "their conference". So blinded by their greed, arrogance, and vanity, they leave the conference and totally humiliate Eastern Carolina and Tulane in the process.

What would Jesus do?

T

...:cool:

Comment

• For sure. We wont find any of those ref's at the MVC tournament as qualifiers.

Comment

• That is not what i have been told. You are in the minority with your opinion.Go take your attitude to the confession box for a time-out

Comment

• Interesting article on conference expansion: http://m.si.com/627787/whats-next-fo...ic-7-big-east/

Who will be added?
                        The teams that will definitely be added to the mix are Xavier and Butler. Creighton and Dayton are
                        the next two on the list, and should be considered near definite. (Dayton’s biggest issue would be
                        opposition from Xavier.)

That makes 11. From there, Saint Louis is a favorite for spot No. 12.
                        The article also gives a number for the TV payout: $2-3 million, with 3 more likely, from FOX. VCU, Davidson, St. Joseph's were also mentioned.

The negatives from this article are that Creighton is almost a definite add, and that we weren't even brought up. But I think the article is actually positive for the following reasons:

1. Potential $3 million TV deal
                        2. Minimum 12 team conference
                        3. Saint Louis, Dayton, St. Joseph's, and

Let me explain the third point. The first two are schools that are considered pretty good bets to get into the conference. Both are big media market catholic schools with some measure of basketball success. But both schools have pretty major problems. For Dayton, it is the sanctity of their media market (currently, #64 in the nation, slightly ahead of us). Cincinnati is expected to merge with Dayton in 2013, and that means that it is likely that Xavier and Dayton will share the same market.

The Big East seems reticent to have multiple teams in the same market. Villanova was angry when Temple was added because they compete with them for Philadephia viewers and fans (same deal with St. Joseph's). If Xavier objects to Dayton, I don't think they will be in the conference.

Saint Louis is a team that I think will get serious questions going forward. They were 12-19 just two years ago, don't capture much of their market, and they've lost their legendary head coach. If I was the president or AD of one of the C7 schools, I would want a couple of years to get information about Saint Louis before I added them to my conference. Will they continue to compete for NCAA tournament berths, or would they join DePaul at the bottom of the conference? They do have a good arena and investment, but that doesn't necessary mean they will be successful if they don't have their head coach of the future.

I don't think Davidson or St. Joseph's bring enough to the conference to be considered candidates. St. Joseph's would be blocked by Villanova, and Davidson does have the money, resources, tradition, or quality of team that other teams offer.

What this means is that there is still a chance. If they go to 14 teams, we will be a great candidate to join. At 12, we are a candidate if Dayton and Saint Louis get voted down (us and VCU would be the replacements). The main thing we can do is pledge to increase investments by 50-100% and expand Koch Arena to 12 to 13 thousand seats. If we can promise to outspend the other programs and bring one of the largest arenas in the conference, we will have a case.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                          Take this for what it's worth, which is not very much...but I figured it was worth passing along for fun:

GoShockers89 is not well connected enough to have any inside dope on what will actually happen. However, I did have a nice lunch today with two friends who work in a BCS athletic department in my city in north carolina (there are 4 potential schools here so I'm not worried about outing anyone). One of these guys is pretty dialed in to the realignment stuff, the other not so much.

The informed friend stated that he'd heard through another friend (see...this is starting to get pretty stretched) that the Shockers and the MWC have had some contact and there is mutual interest. WSU could fill an all-sports slot that Hawaii leaves open (the Bows participate in football only in the MWC). He said the MWC is cautious on pulling the trigger on anything right now given the state of flux with BSU and SDSU w/the Big East, but the expectation is that those two will return to the conference since there's no longer much to gain by leaving.

I had never discussed realignment with him before, so it was interesting to hear his thoughts (most of which has already been speculated on in the megathread at some point). I think the biggest takeaway is that our athletic department is at least not asleep at the switch.
                          Boise St. is close to rejoining the MWC. More than likely USDS will follow suit. Let's close the deal and get out of the Valley before Creighton.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                            Boise St. is close to rejoining the MWC. More than likely USDS will follow suit. Let's close the deal and get out of the Valley before Creighton.
                            If Boise State and SDSU announce an intention to rejoin the MWC, that conference becomes our best hope of salvaging this mess.

Comment

• If the $2 million to $3 million a year (per school) estimate is correct for a TV contract, Cu would be gone the split second they receive an invitation. The money would be more than enough to make up for Cu's lost ncaa tournament revenue, any Valley exit fee and the increased travel costs for all sports. The money from the Valley TV contract is minimal.

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                                I really have a hard time believing that the MWC would take WSU without football.

Comment

Working...
                                X