• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are imbalanced in basketball.
    In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
      I really have a hard time believing that the MWC would take WSU without football.
      What tropicalshox said. The only reason we are being considered is because they currently have 10 football schools and 9 schools for other sports. SDSU and Boise State brings those numbers to 12 and 11. From what I've seen, 11 is undesirable in basketball and other sports because it makes round-robin impossible and creates divisions with unequal number of teams.

Essentially, we are a candidate because we don't have football. There are a couple other schools that could take this spot, but those schools are probably unlikely to join.

Comment

I really have a hard time believing that the MWC would take WSU without football.
        As other notes below, there is an imbalance currently since Hawaii is a football only member of the MWC. That means in essence that WSU + Hawaii football would jointly count as 1 school.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Some believe the MWC will also go after Houston and perhaps SMU to kill off the Big East.
          In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
            Some believe the MWC will also go after Houston and perhaps SMU to kill off the Big East.
            I have read some of those analysis. But I can't find anyone anywhere who mentions WSU as a possible "balancer". All of the analysts and bloggers that I have read seemed to be very focused on football and mostly on getting Boise St and SDSU back into the MWC (and renegoiating their current TV deal for football). I guess I am not saying that it isn't possible, but it is sure very much under the radar right now. It appears that nobody in MWC land is talking about it (other than Shockernet).
            Last edited by shox1989; December 22, 2012, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• BTW- This is the most outlandish article I have found on the MWC. It is one that says Colorado st and New Mexico are trying to form a new league (with BYU and Boise St). Maybe if this really happened it would open up something for WSU. But I doubt it since once again all of the talk centers on football (as does just about every article I can find concerning the MWC).

New Mexico and Colorado State are trying to form a new league, and they are looking to bring in Boise State and BYU.

Comment

• Football drives the money, so it makes sense that all of the talk will center on getting Boise State/SDSU back, etc. That still doesn't change the fact that no matter what happens with football members they will still have an imbalanced slate for all other sports.

They're going to fill that slot with a non-football school to even up the scheduling for the other sports. We are one of a very small handful of possibilities. Cross your fingers and pray to Bardo.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                  Football drives the money, so it makes sense that all of the talk will center on getting Boise State/SDSU back, etc. That still doesn't change the fact that no matter what happens with football members they will still have an imbalanced slate for all other sports.

They're going to fill that slot with a non-football school to even up the scheduling for the other sports. We are one of a very small handful of possibilities. Cross your fingers and pray to Bardo.
                  i have seen a couple of places where someone will mention balancing the basketball schedule (no other sports mentioned). But even those articles mentioned Seattle as the potential basketball only member. I would think WSU would be more attractive than Seattle, but I have yet to see WSU mentioned as the basketball only member anywhere but on Shockernet.

Comment

• So because the beat writers in Laramie, Fort Collins or Las Vegas haven't pitched the idea in a column, you think that seals it? I guess I don't understand what you are looking for here. Their speculations are also probably less informed than a half dozen people on any given message board- I think the Seattle suggestion proves that pretty well.

ETA: Seattle has 0 NCAA bids in the last 43 years and averages around 3,500 per game for basketball.
                    Last edited by Guest; December 22, 2012, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• I fear things do not look well for our alma mater.
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                        So because the beat writers in Laramie, Fort Collins or Las Vegas haven't pitched the idea in a column, you think that seals it? I guess I don't understand what you are looking for here. Their speculations are also probably less informed than a half dozen people on any given message board- I think the Seattle suggestion proves that pretty well.

ETA: Seattle has 0 NCAA bids in the last 43 years and averages around 3,500 per game for basketball.
                        Yeah but Seattle is in a large west coast TV market. I am sure TV contract is what they are thinking as well as maybe recruiting. A chance to get into the Washington market or the Western Kansas market. I could see why they would pick Seattle in spite of their lack of basketball success.

Comment

Yeah but Seattle is in a large west coast TV market. I am sure TV contract is what they are thinking as well as maybe recruiting. A chance to get into the Washington market or the Western Kansas market. I could see why they would pick Seattle in spite of their lack of basketball success.
                          Although I very much agree with your analysis of TV Market importance, and I can see that too, it makes no sense from a recruiting and sporting decision, Seattle does not have a recently consistent high RPI, and that is going to matter when ESPN comes calling, they like any TV entity want to show the best exclusively, and are willing Plus the Shox have a great story for ESPN for playing some MWC teams. going East of the Rockies is important for western conferences, as it provides an eastern access closer to the East coast for basketball and closer to Texas for football, even though we do not play it. If you're questioning the importance of that, look at the PAC-12 acquisition of Colorado.

Comment

• New fan message board for the new "Catholic" league:

In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                              New fan message board for the new "Catholic" league:

http://www.holylandofhoops.com/

OMG! It's a BJ message board.

So hopeful...

So desperate...

So pitiful...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Whois information.

Comment

Working...
                                X