Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
    No problem :-)

I see former Presidents sitting court side with Cowboys players, in a renovated Arena (40 million), that's packed out...being coached by Larry Brown, no less...and I think SMU is doing pretty damn good considering where they were just a couple of years ago.

I've always appreciated that you come to our board talking us up and pulling for us to the AAC. But I gotta tell you, your SMU post blows. F**k SMU! F**k Larry Brown! And f**k their 7k arena! SMU couldn't carry our jock strap. Come back and see us after Jank takes over and SMU never so much as sniffs the NCAA Tournament and their arena is nothing more than an empty cavern. What an asset they'll be to the AAC then.

SMU and UH are just like everything in Texass; so full of sh*t we can smell their stench clear up here in Kansas. You put us in the AAC and we'll wax both of their asses every time we play them.
    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• I don't judge arenas by capacity, I judge it by overall environment...thats why SMU has such a great home court advantage.

Packed, loud, the students are right on top of you...it's great

Look at Tulane...I don't care if their arena only holds 3,600 as long as it's packed and loud...it's about using what you have...like Duke (Cameron indoor isn't that nice an arena)

As for Larry Brown...the man gives me hope...he's 74 years young...hot wife...works full time...always seems energetic and full of life...I would love to be like that at his age.

Comment

I don't judge arenas by capacity, I judge it by overall environment...thats why SMU has such a great home court advantage.

Look at Tulane...I don't care if their arena only holds 3,600 as long as it's packed and loud...it's about using what you have...like Duke (Cameron indoor isn't that nice an arena)

As for Larry Brown...the man gives me hope...he's 74 years young...hot wife...works full time...always seems energetic and full of life...I would love to be like that at his age.
        I would agree with this.
        Livin the dream

Comment

I don't judge arenas by capacity, I judge it by overall environment...thats why SMU has such a great home court advantage.

Agree, also. My point was spending that type of money and not planning on expanding the attendance more than 7,000, particularly in a very large metro area. Looks like they knew their limitations.

Duke is Duke. They are an exception to most everyone else, so it's not really a good comparison. I don't know this year's attendance at SMU and I'm sure it was better than 2014, if not packed most games. However, last year, they averaged 5,653. That's not that great. As for Tulane, it is one thing if you fill a 3,600 seat arena, packed and loud, or only average 1,677 as they did in 2014. That's a mortuary.

I appreciate your efforts on our behalf, so don't take my comments wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
            I've always appreciated that you come to our board talking us up and pulling for us to the AAC. But I gotta tell you, your SMU post blows. F**k SMU! F**k Larry Brown! And f**k their 7k arena! SMU couldn't carry our jock strap. Come back and see us after Jank takes over and SMU never so much as sniffs the NCAA Tournament and their arena is nothing more than an empty cavern. What an asset they'll be to the AAC then.

SMU and UH are just like everything in Texass; so full of sh*t we can smell their stench clear up here in Kansas. You put us in the AAC and we'll wax both of their asses every time we play them.
            Cameron Indoor is only like 9K. Does that mean Duke "couldn't carry our jock strap?"

As for Larry Brown, that guy can coach. I had to write a paper on him back in college. It is crazy the amount of success he has had every place he has gone. NCAA and NBA. He is the only coach ever to win an NBA Championship and a NCAA championship. The knock on Brown has always been that he never stays somewhere for that long. And that is most definitely true. You can't argue with his results though. If I remember correctly he has coached at like 10 places and everyone except the Knicks he did something extraordinary (win a championship, most wins in a season, first time doing something, huge turnaround, etc.). The only reason he didn't do well with the Knicks he because he got fired for butting heads with the star of the team. I think it was Marburry.

Comment

I concur with all of this. I appreciate your input. Now lets work in getting WSU in the AAC!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                Cameron Indoor is only like 9K. Does that mean Duke "couldn't carry our jock strap?"
                SMU only averaged 5653 fans, or 80.76% capacity, in their 7k arena last season. When would you guess the last time Duke averaged 80% capacity was?

Arena size doesn't matter, but % of capacity and ticket prices damn sure do. WSU charges far more for their tickets than the average arena averaging 10.5k attendance does, and Duke charges even more, with both essentially averaging 100% capacity. SMU is nowhere near either category.
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

No problem :-)

I see former Presidents sitting court side with Cowboys players, in a renovated Arena (40 million), that's packed out...being coached by Larry Brown, no less...and I think SMU is doing pretty damn good considering where they were just a couple of years ago.

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post

As for Larry Brown, that guy can coach. I had to write a paper on him back in college. It is crazy the amount of success he has had every place he has gone. NCAA and NBA. He is the only coach ever to win an NBA Championship and a NCAA championship. The knock on Brown has always been that he never stays somewhere for that long. And that is most definitely true. You can't argue with his results though. If I remember correctly he has coached at like 10 places and everyone except the Knicks he did something extraordinary (win a championship, most wins in a season, first time doing something, huge turnaround, etc.). The only reason he didn't do well with the Knicks he because he got fired for butting heads with the star of the team. I think it was Marburry.
                  I didn't claim SMU "couldn't carry our jock strap", simply because of the size of their arena. I only mentioned their arena in my post in response to the post by UofMemphis, in which, he praised their arena. But, speaking of Moody Coliseum, it's an arena that has only gotten smaller, (by more that 2000 seats) since it was built; because, Dallas doesn't care. I don't know the SMU attendance figures for this season, but according to the NCAA, SMU averaged 5,653 for the 2013-14 season; because, Dallas doesn't care. According to a report last season in the Dallas Morning News, that's their highest attendance average ever, and their highest since the 1961-62 season; because, Dallas doesn't care. And when a winning Larry brown retires, and a losing Tim Jankovich takes over, attendance will get even worse; because, Dallas doesn't care. That's a few reasons, referring to Moody Coliseum, that explain why SMU "couldn't carry our jock strap", and that's a long way from Duke.

You are correct about Larry Brown though; he is a winner. He has coached for three different university's, and been a winner at each. He was a winner at UCLA (NCAA violations and penalties). He was a winner at KU (NCAA violations and penalties). And he is a winner at SMU, and guess what (???? ?????????? ??? ?????????). Oh well. SMU deserves it.

This discussion revolves around the debate over what impact market size has on a university's athletic programs, since it appears that is the overriding criteria for joining the AAC. After all, how else to explain the inclusion of university's such as SMU, Houston, tulane, SFU and UCF, all of which reside in cities with very large metropolitan populations, but none of which seem to bring much to the table from a basketball or football standpoint. UofMemphis was posting in response to a post by Rocky Mountain Shock in which he questions if SMU brings the Dallas market. Obviously, SMU does not.

This sounds like a situation where a bunch of university presidents got together and said "SMU? Where the hell is SMU? Dallas? Somebody get a map. HOLY SHAT! Dallas is really big! There must be like a few million people living there. And Dallas is in Texas. And you know what they have in Texas; OIL! There's like oil rigs evrywhere in texas. I'll bet they've even got oil rigs all over the SMU campus! That's a lot of mmmmoooonnnneeeeyyyy!"

"All those in favor of grabbing SMU, say aye: AYE-AYE---AYE-AYE---AYE--AYE-AYE---AYE--AYE-AYE.
                  All those opposed: _________crickets_________."

"THE AYES HAVE IT! SMU IS IN! HIP HIP HOORAY! HIP HIP HOORAY! MO MONEY! MO MONEY! LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL! THE AAC IS BEAUTIFUL! I'M BEAUTIFUL!"

Now if somebody could please explain to me just how in the hell Tulsa and ECU got in.
                  "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• @ripemupshocks: I assume it was for football for Tulsa and ECU.
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                      SMU only averaged 5653 fans, or 80.76% capacity, in their 7k arena last season. When would you guess the last time Duke averaged 80% capacity was?

Arena size doesn't matter, but % of capacity and ticket prices damn sure do. WSU charges far more for their tickets than the average arena averaging 10.5k attendance does, and Duke charges even more, with both essentially averaging 100% capacity. SMU is nowhere near either category.
                      You seem to believe I was comparing their programs or fan bases...I simply mentioned their arena.

You say "SMU only averaged 5653 fans, or 80.76% capacity"

simply look at the last 20 years of SMU hoops...and the last 20 years of Duke hoops...the reasons become obvious.

moreover, those numbers are a year old...SMU attendence was way up this season.
                      Last edited by UofMemphis; April 6, 2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• "But, speaking of Moody Coliseum, it's an arena that has only gotten smaller"

and again, I say who cares? I'd rather have a nice, renovated 7,100 seat arena...over an OK, unrenivated 9,000+ seat arena.

"I don't know the SMU attendance figures for this season"

through Feb 15 they were averaging 7,092 for AAC games.

AACbbs: The #1 Board for American Athletic Conference sports on the internet.

moreover, as a Memphis fan, I couldn't care less about NCAA violations...

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                          @ripemupshocks I assume it was for football for Tulsa and ECU.
                          football drives the bus. It always has, and it always will...

Comment

football drives the bus. It always has, and it always will...
                            Unless, of course, football injuries cause the sport's talent pool to dwindle. I was skeptical about this until just this weekend I found out my nephew, who is a high school sophomore and plays three sports (football, basketball, and baseball) is dropping football and concentrating on the two other sports he plays because he doesn't want to ruin his adult years with a debilitating football injury. A few of his friends are contemplating the same thing. I knew this was becoming more commonplace, but now I've seen it first hand. I'm starting to believe football may not last as a major sport over the next 20-30 years, and I'm starting to believe football will not "always" drive the bus.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                              Unless, of course, football injuries cause the sport's talent pool to dwindle. I was skeptical about this until just this weekend I found out my nephew, who is a high school sophomore and plays three sports (football, basketball, and baseball) is dropping football and concentrating on the two other sports he plays because he doesn't want to ruin his adult years with a debilitating football injury. A few of his friends are contemplating the same thing. I knew this was becoming more commonplace, but now I've seen it first hand. I'm starting to believe football may not last as a major sport over the next 20-30 years, and I'm starting to believe football will not "always" drive the bus.
                              I also think that PeeWee football is struggling with a decline in enrollment at the youngest ages.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                                I disagree, but I'm glad your nephew is staying healthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X