American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Perezident View Post
    I agree. I strongly suspect that the quality of the product is of very little interest to the decision makers in this case. The end-game is increased profits for the few at the top, and screw everyone else. If that means a crappier tournament for awhile, I doubt they'll be detoured.
    I also wonder if it would really be so bad for college basketball to only have say, 250 teams. What if the end game results in about 100 fewer schools that care to stay competitive in basketball at the D-1 level? It's not going to be WSU that drops off the map, it's going to be the colleges that are in the 300 rpi range over the course of decades. Increasing the scholarship allowance will only strengthen the power 5 so much because you still have kids that are going to want playing time. They may all trickle down to the mid-major level and fill it up, and the teams that won't have much leg to stand on will be the really lame teams in the lowest of the low majors. Sadly, some of those are apparently MVC schools :)

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
      Oliver Purnell makes $2m per year?

That's criminal theft.

But this is Chicago, so that'sI par for the course.
      "Purnell is the longest continually active coach in college hoops in the past 40 years or so to never be fired despite never winning an NCAA Tournament game."

tp://shockernet.net/forum/showthread...910#post510910
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
        "Purnell is the longest continually active coach in college hoops in the past 40 years or so to never be fired despite never winning an NCAA Tournament game."

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...914#post510914
        Purnell is quite brilliant. Not a very good basketball coach but apparently a good self-promoter based on what I'm not sure. Always dodging the pink slip by finding another job first and now making $2 million per year at DePaul. However, this does say something about the schools who keep hiring this guy and upping the ante. Bigger fool theory indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Purnell is quite brilliant. Not a very good basketball coach but apparently a good self-promoter based on what I'm not sure. Always dodging the pink slip by finding another job first and now making $2 million per year at DePaul. However, this does say something about the schools who keep hiring this guy and upping the ante. Bigger fool theory indeed.
          Personally, I was hoping he was going to sing "I Hope Your Living As High on the Hog as the Pig You Turned Out to Be"

Comment

• Purnell was a good-not-great coach at all of his stepping stones before DePaul and had a good history with salvage jobs. It wasn't a horrible hire at the time.

It was his contract that was horrible (from DePaul's perspective at least).

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDover1018 View Post
              Some more gems: "It’s easy to think that Gregg Marshall, Shaka Smart, or Brad Stevens would have done more with Doug McDermott. "
              "Grant Gibbs was so old that I’m pretty sure his medical redshirt year was due to gout. "

"Ethan Wragge played like he was wearing an electro-shock collar that buzzed him anytime he got within 30 feet of either rim "
              Actually, the whole Cretin analysis was a gem. :joyous:
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• On a semi-related note, "Through five games, he’s (Dougie) averaging 5.2 points and 1.8 rebounds while shooting 45.5 percent from the field (25 percent from long-distance)."
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  On a semi-related note, "Through five games, he’s (Dougie) averaging 5.2 points and 1.8 rebounds while shooting 45.5 percent from the field (25 percent from long-distance)."
                  He's got Conner Frankamp disease.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                    Oliver Purnell makes $2m per year?

That's criminal theft.

But this is Chicago, so that's par for the course.
                    Possibly another indication of the $ difference between basketball and football: Charlie Weis makes Purnell look an amateur. Weis has been fired, and Purnell has had to work much harder to get where is, but who's making more money?

Comment

• Totally agree with the inferior product, but I do not believe for one moment that the power BCS conferences really give a damn about how great the NCAA BB Tournament is because it offers the smaller non-BCS schools the chance to knock them off and embarrass them. Plus, it must really gall the hell out of them to have to share the profits with us peons as well.

I would bet the farm that there will be a definite move to form their own end of season BB tournament within a very short period of time. Even if they consider including one or two non-BCS BB conferences in the mix, the MVC will not be one of them unless there is divine intervention.

So, if we are unable to get out of this conference, our post season play may very well be limited to an upgraded NIT tournament with the best of the other schools like us. Of course, out of the goodness of their blackened hearts, they may, to show what fine upright citizens they are, allow one or two annual invitations to the NIT winner or one or two highly ranked 'others', if they can find any.

And after we knocked off the other peon in the elimination opening game, we would then get to play our annual rival, Kentucky. And beat them.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                        Totally agree with the inferior product, but I do not believe for one moment that the power BCS conferences really give a damn about how great the NCAA BB Tournament is because it offers the smaller non-BCS schools the chance to knock them off and embarrass them. Plus, it must really gall the hell out of them to have to share the profits with us peons as well.

I would bet the farm that there will be a definite move to form their own end of season BB tournament within a very short period of time. Even if they consider including one or two non-BCS BB conferences in the mix, the MVC will not be one of them unless there is divine intervention.

So, if we are unable to get out of this conference, our post season play may very well be limited to an upgraded NIT tournament with the best of the other schools like us. Of course, out of the goodness of their blackened hearts, they may, to show what fine upright citizens they are, allow one or two annual invitations to the NIT winner or one or two highly ranked 'others', if they can find any.

And after we knocked off the other peon in the elimination opening game, we would then get to play our annual rival, Kentucky. And beat them.
                        We might be about to start one of the last seasons in this current format. It's a little sobering. I hope things stay how they are but its possible they won't. It makes me think of how fast the MVC went from talking about Creighton leaving to Creighton actually being gone. What was it? 1-2 years? This whole thing might just happen and change everything by next year and we better find a way to be on the smart side of it. I don't want to be playing in the national mid-major college athletic association (NMCAA)

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                          We might be about to start one of the last seasons in this current format. It's a little sobering. I hope things stay how they are but its possible they won't. It makes me think of how fast the MVC went from talking about Creighton leaving to Creighton actually being gone. What was it? 1-2 years? This whole thing might just happen and change everything by next year and we better find a way to be on the smart side of it. I don't want to be playing in the national mid-major college athletic association (NMCAA)
                          The good news is that we improved at the single best time. If we were still an normal Valley team, or even worse the Wichita State of the dark ages we'd have a much bleaker outcome.

Comment

• Let's adopt a soccer style relegation and promotion system where say the top of MMCAA go into the BCSAA and the bottom of the BCSAA are sent down.
                            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Let's just force Chuck to give a cool bill(ion) to add footyball and do some backdoor dealing to get into the BXII.

That way, we never have to worry about this silly realignment thingy! ;)
                              The Assman

Comment

• With the way the mvc teams are starting minus uni and WSU, this is hopefully going to become a major concern for bardo and sexton.

Is there any realignment talk around the country at all? I am think the WAC might be a better option right now

Comment

Working...
                                X