No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd be happy to see the Shocks in the AAC as a step up from the Valley (and it would be, because who knows when the next round of realignment will occur -- maybe not anytime soon). But how do you figure Navy as West, Giant? The only thing they're west of is the Atlantic Ocean.

Besides, I'm not convinced that the AAC will be even a 14-team league any time soon, much less 16. The idea of 12 including Navy for football only and WSU for non-football only seems more plausible, and it could be handled easily from a geographic standpoint by making Tulane the swing team -- AAC East in basketball; AAC West in football.

Comment

• Originally posted by GiantHouston View Post
      I agree... That's quite a travel for some... But not if the AAC goes to 14 or 16 like many of us believe it will hence the SEC/14, ACC/14 and BIG/14 with Rutgers and Maryland, have...The BIG is even considering going to 16.

Realignment is far fom over.

Regardless who goes where, Wichita State in the AAC is sexy... You guys bring good basketball, baseballl and new market to AAC table, perfect fit for our west division, IMHO.

AAC
      West Division

Houston-----FOOSBALL
      SMU---------FOOSBALL
      Memphis-----FOOSBALL
      Wichita State----"NO FOOSBALL"
      Tulane-------FOOSBALL
      Tulsa-----FOOSBALL
      Navy------FOOSBALL
      No Foosball-----No AAC

Comment

• Originally posted by WillieJeffJeffries View Post
        No Foosball-----No AAC
        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by GiantHouston View Post
          I agree... That's quite a travel for some... But not if the AAC goes to 14 or 16 like many of us believe it will hence the SEC/14, ACC/14 and BIG/14 with Rutgers and Maryland, have...The BIG is even considering going to 16.

Realignment is far fom over.

Regardless who goes where, Wichita State in the AAC is sexy... You guys bring good basketball, baseballl and new market to AAC table, perfect fit for our west division, IMHO.

AAC
          West Division

Houston
          SMU
          Memphis
          Wichita State
          Tulane
          Tulsa
          Navy
          No doubt. But Gonzaga is always going to be an odd man out. Even in the MWC they'd be a significant geographic outlier, but the AAC would have to add a lot more western members in that 16 team conference to make it so Gonzaga wasn't ridiculously far away. 5 hours west of the other westernmost member is a hell of a lot of travel time for every away game.

I still figure Gonzaga will end up in the MWC eventually.

I love the idea of that western division, although I'm assuming that's a WSU/Navy rather than predicting Navy to join for basketball?
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            I'd be happy to see the Shocks in the AAC as a step up from the Valley (and it would be, because who knows when the next round of realignment will occur -- maybe not anytime soon). But how do you figure Navy as West, Giant? The only thing they're west of is the Atlantic Ocean.

Besides, I'm not convinced that the AAC will be even a 14-team league any time soon, much less 16. The idea of 12 including Navy for football only and WSU for non-football only seems more plausible, and it could be handled easily from a geographic standpoint by making Tulane the swing team -- AAC East in basketball; AAC West in football.
            When the agreement was made, Navy favored the west b/c of past history with SMU, Tulsa, Tulane and the thrill for Houston's big market (4th largest city in the country).

As I stated in my previous post above... Realignment isn't over, in fact, is far from it... We believe UConn and Cincinati will be gone when the next soon to be earthquake settles down... I think when they're gone we can do quite well with a 10 football conference.

If I was Mike Aresco, this will be my member conference proposal minus UConn and Cincinnati

AAC
            East Division

Temple
            VCU
            Dayton
            USF
            ECU
            UMass
            UCF
            Navy

AAC
            West Division

Houston
            Memphis
            Tulsa
            Wichita State
            Tulane
            Gonzaga
            SMU

Comment

• What conference has room/wants Cincy or UConn?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                What conference has room/wants Cincy or UConn?
                For Cincinnati, the Big12-2 comes to mind... Remember they're at 10 all sport members currently and are been pressure to go to 12... However, there's a tiny problem (sarcasm)... Big daddy Texas calls all the shots their and whatever they say goes... UT has publicly said numerous times they're comfortable at 10 and are not considering going beyond that "They prefer the round robin schedule" so they say. lol

In all honesty if the Big12-2 doesn't add anyone soon, Kansas and WVU may jump ship at the first present opportunity and leaving the b12-2 scrambling for not two but four members... Its why Cincinnati and BYU, IMO, are the two hot chicks who I think get asked to the prom.

UCONN is a very strange situation... I seriously doubt the Big12-2, ACC, PAC will ever invite them though... The BIG however, made it no secret they want to lock the North East part of the country and UCONN could very well find themselves in the Big10 if and when realignment starts again.

Who knows, perhaps no progress movements are made and we all remain as we are... But this... We still need a good basketball athletic member and here's where Wichita State could come in.

** Keep building your resume shockers, I like to see you guys in our West Division soon.
                Last edited by GiantHouston; March 6, 2014, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• KU is not leaving the Big 12 and the Big 12 does not want Cincy or Memphis, in my opinion.

Comment

• If realignment is being driven by T.V. markets and great football teams,
                    where does K.U. fit into that conversation, seriously?

The only thing I could think of is the Kansas City market?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                      KU is not leaving the Big 12 and the Big 12 does not want Cincy or Memphis, in my opinion.
                      I never said the B12-2 wanted Memphis, ABC.

If you knew how big of a bully Texas is you would understand where I'm coming from... Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska got tired of their "Me... Me... Me.. Me" tactics and left.

Houston was once in the SWC with the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, SMU to name a few... Trust me, we know Texas far to well... Don't get me wrong, Texas is a fine institute but difficult to deal with nonetheless.

I agree... Kansas isn't leaving now... But if other conferences are improving and the b12-2 is not, all while still putting-up with Texas and are offered membership to another conference, do you honestly believe Kansas will remain their??? Probably not.

In Cincinnati's case... We all know there many good programs out there, but Cincinnati is one most talked about joining the B12-2 and BYU.
                      Last edited by GiantHouston; March 6, 2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                        If realignment is being driven by T.V. markets and great football teams,
                        where does K.U. fit into that conversation, seriously?

The only thing I could think of is the Kansas City market?
                        Well, there few factors here I believe helps Kansas... Current basketball succes, history, market and the fact they too have football... Not good, but is there.

Comment

• I stopped reading this thread, maybe 50 pages ago...That said, why in the hell does anyone want to leave what we have right now? We're undefeated and ranked #2 in the country. We dominate the Valley in almost every sport. It's good to be king, why mess with that?

Comment

• Originally posted by martymoose View Post
                            I stopped reading this thread, maybe 50 pages ago...That said, why in the hell does anyone want to leave what we have right now? We're undefeated and ranked #2 in the country. We dominate the Valley in almost every sport. It's good to be king, why mess with that?
                            Sorry, didn't mean to revive this thread all over again and no disrespect intended, seriously...I saw a good decent realignment conversation so thought I would chime-in, that is all.

100% agree, being king in a conference is great... But if you don't see a truck full of $$$ backing up to your loading dock then why not look elsewhere. Not sy'n... Just sy'n.

Comment

I stopped reading this thread, maybe 50 pages ago...That said, why in the hell does anyone want to leave what we have right now? We're undefeated and ranked #2 in the country. We dominate the Valley in almost every sport. It's good to be king, why mess with that?
                              Because some would rather have an average house in Wilson Estates, than a nice home surrounded by a trailer park.

Comment

We dominate the Valley in almost every sport.
                                That may be overstating reality just a tad. We have done very well winning All-Sports trophies, but that only requires across the board Top 3 programs not total domination.

We've been pretty dominate in Men's Golf and Women's Tennis. Used to be in Baseball but not in recent years. Most of our other sports we have been consistently competitive in recent years except for Softball where we have been pretty poor for the last 7-8 years. Only recently have we competed at the top of the Valley in WBB and it remains to be seen if that can be sustained.

Yes, we have the most consistently competitive teams in the Valley across the board but we certainly don't come close to dominating almost every sport. Last year we won the All-Sports Trophy with a record score of 2.30 (or there abouts). We had 4 championships and 1 co-championship in the 15 sports we participate in. Damn good for sure, but we do not dominate across he board. We are good to very good in almost all sports is more accurate.

Comment

Working...
                                X