No announcement yet.

Daily Wit and Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God dropped a giant sandbag on my head. My role is to wake America up onto the back sliding of principles and values most importantly of God. We are a country of Gand values most importantly of God. We are a country of God. -- Glen Beck
    [/quote]

Comment

Obama, June 28, 2006 (as delivered): Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation – at least, not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers.

Comment

Glenn Beck is a converted Mormon who believes that God talks directly to him and has a mission for him. This reminds me of Joseph Smith who claimed an angel of God appeared to him when he was young. The result was the Book of Mormon and the start of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

A lot of the things Beck says and does is from the perspective of Mormonism, but I think a lot of it is also for entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
          Obama, June 28, 2006 (as delivered): Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation – at least, not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers.
          That's basically true. Early America started out as only Christian, but then even in 1800, according to historians, only about 10% were actually members of congregations.

The Founding Fathers supported free religion. Most of them didn't practice Christianity, but instead were mainly Freemasons, which believed each person should worship according to their own conscience.

Secular Government: .. As the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no ..

From this same link:

As Thomas Jefferson wrote in his Autobiography, in reference to the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom:

"Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination."

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
            Glenn Beck is a converted Mormon who believes that God talks directly to him and has a mission for him. This reminds me of Joseph Smith who claimed an angel of God appeared to him when he was young. The result was the Book of Mormon and the start of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

A lot of the things Beck says and does is from the perspective of Mormonism, but I think a lot of it is also for entertainment.
            Is he a mormon or Christian?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

I guess what's the difference? Don't mormons believe they're also Christians?

Comment

No. They don't believe that Jesus was God.

Comment

I don't believe you answered his question. "Don't mormons believe they're also Christians?"

I believe the answer is "yes" they do. You gave your opinion based upon your own belief and doctrine. To them, it doesn't really matter what you think or believe, but what they believe.

Comment

How can you be Christian and not believe that Christ is part of the Trinity? Did they come out of the teen hodos teachings?

Comment

They believe he is God. They just don't believe he was always God. They think he was a created being.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                        How can you be Christian and not believe that Christ is part of the Trinity? Did they come out of the teen hodos teachings?
                        Not all churches believe in the trinity, including Mormons, JWs, Churches of God (at least those that keep the Sabbath), and probably others to name a few.

The early church didn't teach the trinity. In fact Jesus said, "I and my Father are one". (John 10:30). He didn't say I, my Father, and the Holy Spirit are one.

Most of those that teach the trinity use 1 John 5:7-8 to support that belief, even though only later manuscripts had those verses the way they appear in the KJV. Early manuscripts only said, "For there are three that bear witness, the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one."

Comment

They believe he is God. They just don't believe he was always God. They think he was a created being.
                          I guess I should have said they don't believe Jesus was "eternal" God. And then could discuss their ideas where they don't believe the trinity is one God. The basic tenents of Christianity they reject.

Comment

When angry, count to four; when very angry swear. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger.
                              Abbie Hoffman
                              8)
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

He smiled and said, “You are going to have to separate three important issues in order to succeed: your priority, your objective and your goal.” Then he began to explain the distinction between those three different areas. He said, “Your priority is to help people. Get up everyday thinking about how many people you can help. That will maintain your focus of being a blessing and a help to people and will keep your priorities straight.”

Next he explained, “Your objective is to make a profit. If you do not make a profit, you will not be able to help anyone, including yourself. You must make a profit in order to survive. The whole nature of business is to make a profit. People are not in business because they do not have anything to do and are just looking for something to occupy their time. They want to make a profit and succeed financially.” Then he gave me his famous quote, “Money may not be everything, but it is fairly close to oxygen!” Then he continued, “Don’t let your goal be to chase money. If you chase money, you will never catch it because it will always outrun you. Let your goal be to help people. If you chase helping people, money will chase you.”

Then he said, “Finally, your overriding goal needs to be to please God. Our Heavenly Father is the one who created this entire universe. He gave us our gifts, talents and abilities and we are to use them out of gratitude for all He has done for us. He will bless you and guide you as you depend upon Him for inner strength and peace.”

Zig Ziegler

Comment

Working...
                                X