X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N Crestway
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Hillary believes preventing Putin from attending the G-20 conference will be an effective sanction. Arresting Putin at the G-20 conference might be effective. however.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    Good point.

Leave a comment:

• SB Shock
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Everybody who thinks Putin will eventually be tried for a war crime, put your hand in the air.

nobody?
    It doesn't actually matter if he is or isn't. This is another way of ratcheting up pressure on Russia.

1. It makes it easier for European politicians to sell to their people "you are going to pay higher prices because we are reducing our energy dependence on Russia"

2 To say to those countries (e.g. India) trying to walk the fine line between Russia and the West - are you really going to side with "War Criminal"?

3. To the Russian Oligarchs - Putin going to bring you all down, and there will be no chance of normalization.

Leave a comment:

• SB Shock
    replied
    Originally posted by wufan View Post

If that’s what you got from my statement then I can’t help you.
    I am not asking for help. You are either "equivocate" or you are just somebody who feels they have to weigh in on everything even if they really have nothing to add but "war is horrible" - no duh!

Leave a comment:

• ShockerPrez
    replied
    Originally posted by ABC View Post
    I think the bar for "atrocities" is a lot higher for the country being invaded. For example I have no problem with Ukrainian citizens poisoning invading Russian soldiers. None.
    Can civilians fighting foreign invaders on their home soil even be held accountable for war crimes?

Leave a comment:

• wufan
    replied
    Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Yes you did. You tried to say Russia action are just a part of the horror of ware and then implied that Ukraine action somehow justified it.
    If that’s what you got from my statement then I can’t help you.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Everybody who thinks Putin will eventually be tried for a war crime, put your hand in the air.

nobody?

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied

nobody?

Leave a comment:

• SB Shock
    replied

No I didn’t. I pointed out that horrible things happen in war whether you are justified in that war or not.
    Yes you did. You tried to say Russia action are just a part of the horror of ware and then implied that Ukraine action somehow justified it.

Leave a comment:

• ABC
    replied
    I think the bar for "atrocities" is a lot higher for the country being invaded. For example I have no problem with Ukrainian citizens poisoning invading Russian soldiers. None.

Leave a comment:

• wufan
    replied

But you just did.

Russia is committing war crimes every day that are well documented and the ICC has started a probe against Russia for genocide and crimes against Humanity. Russians are not even pretending to follow international law - but that shouldn't surprise anybody as Russia has a long list of war crimes in Syria.

And the Ukraine government said they would be investigating (Russia just dismisses and refuse to cooperate in their allegations). The incident with Ukrainians seems to have been very limited if the video is to be believed. There have been plenty of videos on the Ukraine side of POWs and they seem well treated. Of course, the video is being distributed by the Russians.

Here is the BBC investigation of the video.

https://www.bbc.com/news/60907259
    No I didn’t. I pointed out that horrible things happen in war whether you are justified in that war or not.

Now maybe you think that video is false propaganda, or that if it is limited in scale, then it isn’t a big deal, but neither of those things negates the truth that horrible things happen in war.

Leave a comment:

• SB Shock
    replied

Not trying to equivocate the two sides,
    But you just did.

Russia is committing war crimes every day that are well documented and the ICC has started a probe against Russia for genocide and crimes against Humanity. Russians are not even pretending to follow international law - but that shouldn't surprise anybody as Russia has a long list of war crimes in Syria.

but it has also been reported by multiple sources that the Ukrainian troops were shooting the kneecaps off of Russian POWs. War is a horrible thing.
    And the Ukraine government said they would be investigating (Russia just dismisses and refuse to cooperate in their allegations). The incident with Ukrainians seems to have been very limited if the video is to be believed. There have been plenty of videos on the Ukraine side of POWs and they seem well treated. Of course, the video is being distributed by the Russians.

Here is the BBC investigation of the video.

Ukrainian authorities investigate a video apparently showing Russian PoWs being shot in the legs.

Leave a comment:

• wufan
    replied
    The retreating Russians around Kyiv are leaving a string of war crime atrocities. Images are coming out showing men, women, and children were tortured before they were executed. Horrific images.
    Not trying to equivocate the two sides, but it has also been reported by multiple sources that the Ukrainian troops were shooting the kneecaps off of Russian POWs. War is a horrible thing.

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    Secret intelligence is playing an unusually public role in the war in Ukraine. Intelligence agencies, especially in the U.S. and Britain, have been remarkably willing to share their assessments of what is happening on the battlefield — and inside the Kremlin.

Secret intelligence has unusually public role in Ukraine war

LONDON (AP) — The war in Ukraine is the conflict where spies came in from the cold and took center stage.

Since Russia invaded its neighbor in late February, intelligence agencies in the U.S. and Britain have been remarkably willing to go public with their secret intelligence assessments of what is happening on the battlefield — and inside the Kremlin.

The U.S. this week declassified intelligence findings claiming Russian President Vladimir Putin is being misinformed about his military’s poor performance in Ukraine by advisers scared to tell him the truth. On Thursday a British spy chief said demoralized Russian troops were refusing to carry out orders and sabotaging their own equipment.
    Biden administration officials say they decided to aggressively share intelligence and coordinate messaging with key allies, including Britain, as U.S. concerns about Russian troop movements in autumn 2021 put the intelligence community on high alert.

In early November, President Joe Biden dispatched CIA director William Burns to Moscow to warn that the U.S. was fully aware of Russian troop movements. The White House has typically been tight-lipped about the director’s travels, but the Biden administration calculated that in this situation they needed to advertise the visit far and wide. The U.S. Embassy in Moscow announced that Burns had met with top Kremlin officials shortly after his trip was over.

Soon after Burns’ Moscow mission, U.S. officials decided they needed to accelerate intelligence sharing.
    Smart!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X